Do you trust gun owners????

Guest strelcevina

I will chime in on the land part since I posted a topic on it.

Ditto on not trusting people I don't know personally. Regardless if they are a gun owner or not. I'm not suggesting nobody is trustworthy, rather, I get to know people first before I welcome them into my home.

Regarding hunting on private property. I'm not a hunter but have freinds that do and know many hunters. Again, being a gun owner has nothing to do with it. My concern is this situation is someone getting hurt (falling, shooting themself etc.) and trying to sue me for things I have worked hard for.

It comes down to being responsible IMO.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Trusting someone just because they have a HCP or is a gun owner is idiotic.

It is a simple fact of life... Trust is earned, especially in this day and age.

In addition, there are varying levels of trust.

Here are some examples of what I mean:

1. I trust members of my immediate family, however I wouldn't trust all of them with money because of past mistakes that they have made.

2. I have trusted people I have met in the military with my life and they have trusted theirs with me. But that doesn't mean I would lend my car to them all.

3. I know people that own guns that I would never go shooting with, because they have proven to me that they are unsafe.

Background and credit checks are a fact of life for any respectable employer. If someone is going to hire an individual to do a job that deals with $, high value merchandise/equipment, or has any level of risk; its going to happen. And if the individual has nothing to hide, there should be no problem.

If someone has something to hide, or something on their record that they don't want an employer to know about, then they shouldn't apply for that position. Especially if it is known up front that a check will be done.

I will chime in on the land part since I posted a topic on it.

Ditto on not trusting people I don't know personally. Regardless if they are a gun owner or not. I'm not suggesting nobody is trustworthy, rather, I get to know people first before I welcome them into my home.

Regarding hunting on private property. I'm not a hunter but have freinds that do and know many hunters. Again, being a gun owner has nothing to do with it. My concern is this situation is someone getting hurt (falling, shooting themself etc.) and trying to sue me for things I have worked hard for.

It comes down to being responsible IMO.

I think that's something that alot of hunters out there don't understand when they ask someone if they can hunt on their land and are denied. The landowner is responsible for any accident that may happen on his land, and even though I'm sure most cases don't end up this way, the landowner can be sued for damages from the accident. Add that on top of the fact that the hunter themselves may just be irresponsible and shoot into the landowners house and kill him, and it really makes you realize why they want to make sure they can trust you before allowing you to hunt on their land.

Personally I don't trust anyone until they have earned my trust.

Trusting someone just because they have a HCP or is a gun owner is idiotic.

It is a simple fact of life... Trust is earned, especially in this day and age.

In addition, there are varying levels of trust.

Here are some examples of what I mean:

1. I trust members of my immediate family, however I wouldn't trust all of them with money because of past mistakes that they have made.

2. I have trusted people I have met in the military with my life and they have trusted theirs with me. But that doesn't mean I would lend my car to them all.

3. I know people that own guns that I would never go shooting with, because they have proven to me that they are unsafe.

Background and credit checks are a fact of life for any respectable employer. If someone is going to hire an individual to do a job that deals with $, high value merchandise/equipment, or has any level of risk; its going to happen. And if the individual has nothing to hide, there should be no problem.

If someone has something to hide, or something on their record that they don't want an employer to know about, then they shouldn't apply for that position. Especially if it is known up front that a check will be done.

Well put,I feel very uncomfortable around folks with guns until I get to know them.Our HCP class is hard to fail,just because a person has a permit doesnt make them safe.My wife has had a drivers license for about 23 years,no wrecks but still scares the pi$$ out of me.

Guest Drewsett

The philosopher in me wants to believe that the majority of people, when given the choice, will do the right thing. That has gotten me in trouble in the past...I have been taken advantage of several times, costing me thousands of dollars (and as I was pretty young, it hurt pretty bad). I remember that things are just things, and money is just money...but the innocence is certainly gone.

I don't really trust anyone anymore...and that even partially includes family. I find myself thinking twice when I'm put in situations where I need to trust my siblings or parents to do something...I DO trust that they would never physically harm my wife or I, so I guess that's something. Strangers...well, as far as I'm concerned everyone that I meet is a potential threat to my physical well being until proven otherwise. It usually only takes a few minutes of conversation to progress to the point where I will stop thinking of ways to defend myself from you in case you prove to be a psychopath.

I will trust coworkers with small things...I'll let them borrow a CD or DVD or something like that. If you need to borrow 10-20 bucks cause you're low on cash and you'll get it back to me when you get paid on ___day...sure. But I don't trust them to come to my home. I don't trust them to keep a secret. I don't trust them around my money or my property other than the aforementioned exceptions.

I'm a nice guy, but I'm a nice guy whose been taken advantage of too many times. Everyone is suspect. I have few true friends, but many very friendly acquaintances. Hopefully it will keep me from being taken advantage of or getting killed.