243 or 22-250

I sold my ar-15 i had set up for yotes but i can use my other ar-15 if i wanted. i'm looking to buy a couple guns when we get settled in the new house. what i'm trying to decide is what i should get....i figure a 22-250 would be great for long shots with very little drop or get a 243 so it can be a back up deer rifle but may not ruin the hide of a yota very much. or should i just get both? lol i have heard of people hunting deer very successfully with a 22-250. just wanted to get some of your thoughts.....

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sold my ar-15 i had set up for yotes but i can use my other ar-15 if i wanted. i'm looking to buy a couple guns when we get settled in the new house. what i'm trying to decide is what i should get....i figure a 22-250 would be great for long shots with very little drop or get a 243 so it can be a back up deer rifle but may not ruin the hide of a yota very much. or should i just get both? lol i have heard of people hunting deer very successfully with a 22-250. just wanted to get some of your thoughts.....

I have both. The 22-250 is a barn burner, which with the right bullets could be used for deer. The 243 is no slouch, with 55gr bullets in an 18in barrel I am getting almost 3500fps, and I would think it would have the edge with heavier bullets at long range. I am getting ready to sell my 22-250 barrel and replace it with a 6.5 cal round, just haven't decided on which one.

Guest BEARMAN

Can't speak with any knowledge on the .22-250 round...but I know from experiance the .243 win. is some bad mojo on both coyote's and deer that I have taken with it.

I really like the versatility of the cartridge...and, the ammo is cheaper and easier to find also. FWIW just my .02

the more i think about it, i already have 12-15 rifles to hunt deer with and only a couple to use on yotes and bobcats, so, i think i'm going to go with the 22-250 as it may be a little better for yotes than a 243. just my thought of the day!

I'm looking at getting me a .243 here in the next couple of days. I've never owned a .243 before. I want it primarily for coyote hunting when I'm not in the mood to use bow or flintlock rifle. How much "hide" damage would I expect, and what rounds do you reccomend?

With most any 243 round you are going to have pelt damage. The lighter the bullet the more damage if it exits and that depends on where you hit them and at what range. If I were going to use a 243 and wanted to limit pelt damage I would go with one of the heavy controled expansion bullets like the 100 gr Speer Grand Slam or Barnes 85 gr TSX. They will expand some but will not explode. If you shoot them through the lungs and miss bone the exit hole will be smaller.

I chose the .243 for coyote, as a backup deer rifle, and as of a few minutes ago, an opportunity to go antelope hunting out to New Me' he co! I guess I'll just work with some handloads to see what I can get. Thanks for the info so far.

i was looking on gunbroker and found some weatherby 223 and 22-250 pretty cheap. like 350 or 400 or somewhere in that area. but than they have ones that claim submoa and are prices around 700+. should i stick with my normal favorite bolt gun(remington 700) or try a weatherby or a savage? i know a lot of people here love the savage for the cost and accuracy. what do you guys think?

i was looking on gunbroker and found some weatherby 223 and 22-250 pretty cheap. like 350 or 400 or somewhere in that area. but than they have ones that claim submoa and are prices around 700+. should i stick with my normal favorite bolt gun(remington 700) or try a weatherby or a savage? i know a lot of people here love the savage for the cost and accuracy. what do you guys think?

I don't think you could go wrong with any of the three you mentioned. If it were we I would rank them Weatherby, Savage, Remington.

the most accurate gun i have is a remington 700 bdl dm deluxe in 30-06. shoots hole through hole at 100 yards with hand loaded burger bullets. i have shot some weatherbys and wasn't to impressed. sounds like i haven't shot the right weatherby yet huh?

• 3 months later...