Is it safe to assume...

Guest Satt

Ok, so I have been waiting 24 days now for my permit and I want to buy my carry gun. The TN permit website says they are supposed to let you know within 10 days if you are rejected for any reason. I have no criminal history at all. So is it safe to assume that I AM going to get it eventually and to go ahead and buy my cary gun?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest canynracer

yep, like Rabbi said, buy it and if there is something, you will know then...

wen I called for mine, they told me to add two days for each holiday...so you got Veterans day, and Thanksgiving....

its only been 24 days..

and Mars...

Wally World is GREAT the first time...LMAO...I went tonight...

Guest Verbal Kint
my wifes been waitin over 60 days , where can you check on the progress of it?

According to others here, you can call the TN Department of Safety - handgun permit division - and they'll check their database for you. They can tell you if they have all your information, if it's been processed, etc.

Guest Phantom6
my wifes been waitin over 60 days , where can you check on the progress of it?

In the last two years the time lapse between application and delivery has been steadily shrinking. My students typically wait an average of 35 days now. Sounds like your wife's paperwork has fallen between a desk and a wall somewhere. On the Dpt. of Safety Handgun Carry Permit office General Information webpage they discuss the processing of permit applications and say the following:

PROCESSING

Applications are received and reviewed in the Handgun Carry Permit Office.

Proper documentation is forwarded to three (3) different agencies: (TBI, FBI, County Sheriff).

Upon a name search approval from TBI, the permit can be issued within ninety (90) days from date of application.

Upon issuance, the handgun carry permit will be mailed to the applicant.

Incomplete applications cannot be processed.

FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE

I would call the handgun carry permit office at (615) 251-8590 tomorrow and inquire as to the status of the permit. The state has 90 days from date of application in which to return the permit so they are still within their window but this is unusual when viewed in light of normal permit return times.

Hope this helps.

If you don't have a questionable history, the permit will show up in time.

Go ahead and get the handgun and holster and practice with it. Then you'll be ready to go armed to Wally-World when it comes in. :up:

Ok I must have missed something. I did not think you could carry at Wally-World because they sell alcohol????

So they told me wrong at the safety class. The folks from the sheriffs dpt. said we can not carry any ware alcohol is sold.

Thanks!!!!!

Would depend when you took the class. If it was within the last 5 years or so then the sheriff's dept hasn't kept up with the law. Imagine that: a law enforcement officer unfamiliar with the laws he is supposed to enforce. Whodathunkit??

39-17-1305. Possession of firearm where alcoholic beverages are served. —

(a) It is an offense for a person to possess a firearm within the confines of a building open to the public where liquor, wine or other alcoholic beverages, as defined in § 57-3-101(a)(1)(A), or beer, as defined in § 57-6-102(1), are served for on premises consumption.

(:up: A violation of this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

© The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to a person who is:

(1) In the actual discharge of official duties as a law enforcement officer, or is employed in the army, air force, navy, coast guard or marine service of the United States or any member of the Tennessee national guard in the line of duty and pursuant to military regulations, or is in the actual discharge of duties as a correctional officer employed by a penal institution; or

(2) On the person's own premises or premises under the person's control or who is the employee or agent of the owner of the premises with responsibility for protecting persons or property.

I would highly recommend reading up on ALL of the laws relating to firearms. You can find the Tennessee Code here.

They also told us we can not carry in AL. and I go to Florance AL. for everything.

Oh and it has only been a month and a half. I am still waiting for that envelope in the mail :up:

Guest Boomhower
They also told us we can not carry in AL. and I go to Florance AL. for everything.

Oh and it has only been a month and a half. I am still waiting for that envelope in the mail :up:

Then it might not be a bad idea to read all the laws, find any discrepancies between what you were taught and what the law actually says, then take the correct information back to your teacher and prove it to him. If he is still teaching these classes, he should be receptive to the corrections and you will have prevented even more miss guided people.

Guest Phantom6
Would depend when you took the class. If it was within the last 5 years or so then the sheriff's dept hasn't kept up with the law. Imagine that: a law enforcement officer unfamiliar with the laws he is supposed to enforce. Whodathunkit??

Not necessarily. The DVD that is provided by the Dpt. of Safety and mandatory viewing as per the syllabus, clearly states that it is against the law to carry in a convenience/gas station type store and when the video was first shot (apparently shortly after the Jurassic Period) that was the case. The video has not been updated to keep up with the law. The instructor may or may not have pointed out the error. Either way I'd say that more than likely the fault would lie with the video production.

Boomhower is correct. As an individual carrying a firearm it is up to you to familiarize yourself with the laws and stay abreast of any changes.

Not necessarily. The DVD that is provided by the Dpt. of Safety and mandatory viewing as per the syllabus, clearly states that it is against the law to carry in a convenience/gas station type store and when the video was first shot (apparently shortly after the Jurassic Period) that was the case. The video has not been updated to keep up with the law. The instructor may or may not have pointed out the error. Either way I'd say that more than likely the fault would lie with the video production.

Boomhower is correct. As an individual carrying a firearm it is up to you to familiarize yourself with the laws and stay abreast of any changes.

If the video as outdated information it is up to the instructor to correct that in class, citing statute if need be.

Obviously the individual is ultimately responsible. But the instructor gets paid for teaching correct information.

Guest bkelm18
Ok, so I have been waiting 24 days now for my permit and I want to buy my carry gun. The TN permit website says they are supposed to let you know within 10 days if you are rejected for any reason. I have no criminal history at all. So is it safe to assume that I AM going to get it eventually and to go ahead and buy my cary gun?

I don't think that 10 day thing starts from when you submit your paperwork, it means that they have 10 days to inform you from when they reject it. Meaning they could reject it on day 43, then they would have until day 53 to inform you that it was rejected.

Good grief. I just don't understand instructors who can't instruct their students properly.

You know, we might do well to put together a little TGO FAQ about Tennessee gun law. Have to include a disclaimer about not offering legal advice of course (that we actually would be doing).

Anyway, it would be a really good idea to read the law yourself. Just about all of it is in TCA 39-17-xxxx. The exception I think of is about packing in a Wildlife Management Area.

To get to the code:

Go to http://www.michie.com/.

Click on "TENNESSEE CODE"

Click on "Title 39 Criminal Offenses"

Click on "Chapter 17 Offenses Against Public Health, Safety and Welfare"

Click on "Part 13 —Weapons"

Click on each part, read them until you understand them.

Guest ETS_Inc

Don't worry, unless you've done something in the past, you'll get your permit in due time. Just be patient, they're State employees - your tax dollars at rest.

Go ahead and buy your carry gun. In fact, you shouldhave bought it awhile ago. Why would you wait until your permit arrives to buy it? Would you go out, buy a gun, and strap it on immediately, without ever having taken it to the range? Personally, I wouldn't.

Guest ETS_Inc

Oh, and as I am sure to tell all of my students, on July 1st, 2001, the law was changed so that it is legal to carry into a business that sells alcohol for off-premise consumption. You still can not carry where alcohol is served for on-premise consumption.

Personally, I think that makes zero sense. I can have all the guns and alcohol in my house, and be trusted not to shoot up the neighborhood. I can be trusted to drive my car to a restaurant, have a beer, and drive home, as long as my BAC is below 0.08%. But, I can't be trusted to go to O'Charley's for dinner, carrying a gun, and not drink alcohol?

Why can't I be so trusted? If I violate that trust, and consume alcohol while carrying, then charge me. But don't strip me of the means to protect me and my loved ones simply because I want someone else to do the cooking and they happen to offer beer and wine as options with dinner.