Is it safe to assume...

Guest Satt

Personally, I think that makes zero sense. I can have all the guns and alcohol in my house, and be trusted not to shoot up the neighborhood. I can be trusted to drive my car to a restaurant, have a beer, and drive home, as long as my BAC is below 0.08%. But, I can't be trusted to go to O'Charley's for dinner, carrying a gun, and not drink alcohol?

Why can't I be so trusted? If I violate that trust, and consume alcohol while carrying, then charge me. But don't strip me of the means to protect me and my loved ones simply because I want someone else to do the cooking and they happen to offer beer and wine as options with dinner.

It goes further than that Frank. KY has had an on-premises law since they started I think. People in TN are no less responsible than people in KY and there they have had zero problems. In VA you can open carry into a bar and I dont think they've had issues with it. I guess people here are just dumber or something. I don't know what the thinking is.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They also told us we can not carry in AL. and I go to Florance AL. for everything.

I'm going to jump in on this one. I work in AL several days a week and made it a point to find out about this one. From what I read you can carry in AL with a TN HCP.

From the State of Alabama's Attorney General's website:

"After reviewing the Tennessee and Alabama laws on the recognition of other state's concealed handgun licenses, it is apparent that Alabama, pursuant to Act 2001-494 (ALA. CODE § 13A-11-85 (1975)), has recognized and given effect to Tennessee handgun permits, since July1, 2003, and that Tennessee, with some restriction on Alabama citizens who work in Tennessee, has recognized Alabama concealed handgun licenses, since July1, 2003."

Here's the link to the whole thing: http://www.ago.state.al.us/issue/TN_Note.htm

As for buying the gun before the permit: Do it.

Even if you don't get it, you'll still have it to take the range while you figure out why you didn't get the permit.

I was talking with a dealer last week. We were discussing the instant background check. He said that he'd had a couple of people come in with carry permits that were denied on the background check for buying their handguns. Now that, I find odd. He did say it was usually a clerical error thing.

I was talking with a dealer last week. We were discussing the instant background check. He said that he'd had a couple of people come in with carry permits that were denied on the background check for buying their handguns. Now that, I find odd. He did say it was usually a clerical error thing.

That's happened here. I dont know why the guy got denied (they dont tell us) and he never came back. Maybe the wife filed a restraining order? I don't know.

all this no carry here or there talk is why I carry a booklet on where you can or can not carry and the laws in other states.I'll look and see if I can find a site you can order one from or you can call sportsman's supply here in chatt,they carry them

Guest Phantom6
Good grief. I just don't understand instructors who can't instruct their students properly.

These are not instructors. These are asshats that take your money and do an 8 hour class in 3 hours. They'd do it in two but they are just too damned lazy. They don't give a s**t about the student, the program or apparantly their own reputation. Sooner or later and I can only hope that it will be sooner, they will run up on an engineer with OCD that gets ticked off whith their abreviated bulls**t and calls the DOS and complains.

^^^^^^^^ +1 to what Phantom says.

The places that run their classes in the manner Phantom describes aren't doing anyone any favors. My class took longer than 8 hours and I think they could have gone longer.

A class that only takes three hours is not giving out pertinent information. No way all we need to know as HCP holders can be covered in that abbreviated amount of time.

Don't worry, unless you've done something in the past, you'll get your permit in due time. Just be patient, they're State employees - your tax dollars at rest.

Go ahead and buy your carry gun. In fact, you shouldhave bought it awhile ago. Why would you wait until your permit arrives to buy it? Would you go out, buy a gun, and strap it on immediately, without ever having taken it to the range? Personally, I wouldn't.

Based on the last 3 years the TFA and others have been trying to get this changed the loudest opponents have been the Tennessee Restaurant Association and the hotel/motel organization (as well as the anti-gun legislators of course). The restaurants like being able to hid behind the law stating their hands are tied on this while being able to deny lawful carry believing it makes their other patrons safer; totally disregarding that all they've done is make those sites a target rich environment for criminals.