Very happy with custom job

I got my xd 40 back from the custom shop yesterday. The trigger on it after the combat trigger job with internal overtravel adjustment is light (4.5 pounds according to the lyman) and has hardly any reset on it. I like it. Also, the barrel was refitted. The only difference I can tell about the barrel is it looks like the feed ramp was polished and it seems to definitely fit tighter. All, in all I am pleased with the work. The thing I didnt like about it is they filled it full of lube and shipped it to me and didnt clean it before it left out after they test fired it.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Verbal Kint

Not many factories, from my research, clean the weapon post-test-firing before sending it back to the customer. Not sure if it's just the sheer amount of weapons they're servicing (don't have/take the time) or that they leave it as proof that they've checked the weapon after servicing it. Most people assume the latter and actually view it as a comforting thought.

I guess the same can be viewed in regards to the lube, but depends on how much lube they crammed into it. lol

Just gives you an excuse to tear it down and clean it, while appreciating where your hard earned dollars went to improve it. (Did that excuse make you feel a little better? lol) :koolaid:

Not many factories, from my research, clean the weapon post-test-firing before sending it back to the customer. Not sure if it's just the sheer amount of weapons they're servicing (don't have/take the time) or that they leave it as proof that they've checked the weapon after servicing it. Most people assume the latter and actually view it as a comforting thought.

I guess the same can be viewed in regards to the lube, but depends on how much lube they crammed into it. lol

Just gives you an excuse to tear it down and clean it, while appreciating where your hard earned dollars went to improve it. (Did that excuse make you feel a little better? lol) :koolaid:

Not to mention that some people are VERY picky about how their gun is cleaned, with what, etc.

Update,

I just got done cleaning it. I thought okay Ill load up a magazine and see how easy it is to eject it. Before with 12 in the magazine and one in the chamber you could not eject the magazine until you racked the slide and ejected the round from the chamber. Well now with 12 in the magazine you cannot eject the magazine at all. I even pushed up on the bottom of the magazine (which you should not have to do on any semi-auto, At least my piece of :poop: Smith and Wesson sigma ejected the mag all the time no problem. Heck, I regret selling the sigma now and may sell the springfield and get me another sigma or a sig or something. I had to pull hard and then hit the mag release at the same time to get the damned magazines out. I would be dead in a gun fight if I ever had to reload.

Why would you want to eject a full mag? And why would a trigger job have any effect on whether or not a mag will eject?

It dont.

I would need to load the mag, pull the slide back to chamber one and then drop the mag to reload another one in the place of the one that just went into the chamber.

Is it walking the top round of the full mag forward? That would cause the mag to not want to come out. You can always use a charge mag and then put a full one in behind it.

That charge mag will probably be what I will do I reckon until it loosens up.

Not that I can see but it maybe. I will check it again and see. I do not want to load a mag and then drop one in the chamber I dont think its a good idea but.

Also, make sure there is none of that grease on the mag lips. That will make the bullet walk forward.

What I was suggesting was to (if you have an extra mag) put one round in the mag put it in the gun and chamber a round(then take that mag out). Then put the other full mag in. Then check and see if the mag will come out. You know that that mag (bullet in the mag) could not walk forward.

Edited by timcalhoun
Also, make sure there is none of that grease on the mag lips. That will make the bullet walk forward.

What I was suggesting was to (if you have an extra mag) put one round in the mag put it in the gun and chamber a round(then take that mag out). Then put the other full mag in. Then check and see if the mag will come out. You know that that mag (bullet in the mag) could not walk forward.

I will definitely try that when I have more time. I tried it with all four mags and several different kinds of ammo so I know it aint the ammo causing the issue. Also, I checked and the mags have no excess grease or anything of that nature on em.

Edited by Alpha7
One more idea. See if the other mag relaese button does the same thing.

Also do you hear a click when you press the mag release button?

I did that from the get go (tried other mag release) same thing. I only initially hear a click when the mag goes in. If I hit the mag release I hear nothing.

I did that from the get go (tried other mag release) same thing. I only initially hear a click when the mag goes in. If I hit the mag release I hear nothing.

That means it's not clearing the notch in the mag when you press the button. If the mag will release with 11 in it.............it may get better with 12 in it as the mag springs loose some strength.

I had an XD for a while and I remember those mag springs were very heavy.

Yet another example why I do very little "work" to any of my EDC's. There is almost never a need for such work on a carry weapon. That trigger job will do nothing for you in a SHTF situation, especially now that it's messed up.

I can see why some folks decide to have such work done on Match guns, but not something you intend on carrying.

Not only are these types of issues a concern to me, but if I have to shoot someone, I'd rather not give the prosecutors the opportunity to use the fact that I installed a "combat trigger" in my carry weapon against me. But that's a whole other debate.

Hope you're able to find a solution to your issue.

Yet another example why I do very little "work" to any of my EDC's. There is almost never a need for such work on a carry weapon. That trigger job will do nothing for you in a SHTF situation, especially now that it's messed up.

I can see why some folks decide to have such work done on Match guns, but not something you intend on carrying.

Not only are these types of issues a concern to me, but if I have to shoot someone, I'd rather not give the prosecutors the opportunity to use the fact that I installed a "combat trigger" in my carry weapon against me. But that's a whole other debate.

Hope you're able to find a solution to your issue.

I can't see how the mag release issue has anything to do with the trigger job or a barrel fit. More likely they put a different mag release in it for what ever reason. Maybe he was working on more than one gun and switched them by mistake. Who knows.

But I don't like to send guns back to the factory for upgrades for this reason. Plus, you don't know who will be working on it and if they are new or any good or whatever.

If I was to do work on an XD I would have this guy do it (Rich). He was one of the first to do great trigger jobs on them and Springfield actually called him in to show them what he was doing.

Home Page

I can't see how the mag release issue has anything to do with the trigger job or a barrel fit. More likely they put a different mag release in it for what ever reason. Maybe he was working on more than one gun and switched them by mistake. Who knows.

But I don't like to send guns back to the factory for upgrades for this reason. Plus, you don't know who will be working on it and if they are new or any good or whatever.

If I was to do work on an XD I would have this guy do it (Rich). He was one of the first to do great trigger jobs on them and Springfield actually called him in to show them what he was doing.

Home Page

It dont