Any suggestions on tactical shotgun?

bassmaster

I have a Mossberg 835 that is the Wild Turkey Edition. It has a ported 24" barrel that is a dull blue type finish. It has a mod choke in it. I wanted to turn it into a home tactical/comfortable woods use (turkey,etc) shotgun. I am thinking about this:

Mossberg 500/590/835 12Ga 6-Position Collapsible Pistol Grip Stock New

It is an adjustable AR type stock.

Does anyone know where I can get a tactical forend for the 835?

It is drilled and tapped and I was wanting a tactical type scope for the top also. Know where I can find one? Thanks

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want an AR-style stock, I would HIGHLY suggest a Knoxx Spec-Ops (recoil-reducing) stock, more money, but well worth it.

I would think you just want a standard black forend, shouldnt be hard to find. If the 500/590 and 835 are the same mostly, then a Surefire integrated weaponlight/forend should fit.

and by tactical scope, do you mean sniper-style scope or red-dot(ACOG) or holographic(Eotech)?

Thanks. I think I am about to pull the trigger on the Knoxx stock for $134 with the recoil system. I also found a pistol grip forend for $21. I might just go with open sights and a laser/flashlight combo.

I hope I am just not wasting money. If I ever wanted to get rid of it, will the extras help, or do I still have a $200 835? LOL

I just bought the Knoxx Blackhawk Stock with recoil supression. Found it on optics planet for $107 w/free shipping. Also just bought the ATI forend pistol grip and barrel flashlight holder. (paid extra cause Im impatient and wanted next day :drama:

Now, should I get a top scope mount and do a red dot or should I do a laser/light? Also:

I have found a few fiber optic beads for the front, but dont know which one to get. They all seem to point to a "5-40" front bead for the mossy.

Is the front bead a 5-40, and what does that mean?

I am suddenly obsessed with tactical long guns! I think Im gonna sell all but one handgun and trick out some long Boom Sticks!

Guest Broomhead

I love the recoil from my 870. Slugs are the best. As far as whether to go with a red dot or laser/flashlight. I always liked the look of a red dot on top of a shotgun. I really want mine tapped so I can put a rail on her too.

this is my home defense shotgun,a highly modified saiga 12 that i worked on a long time getting right but it shots everytime now with no missfires and eats shotgun shells like candy! i can run 20 rounds of 12 ga 00 buck threw this gun in 2 to 3 seconds and it will even fire cheap wally world bulk packs also. this shotgun will make them run or hamburger!!! but really is a little overkill but fun to shot, my home defense is a hk usp .45.

012-1.jpg

Edited by 042399tank
misspell

Personally I would go with just a flashlight and fiber optic sights. To me the size of the beam on the flashlight is about the area that I am going to be shooting. Just like a laser on a rifle or pistol only puts out one small spot where the one round fired will go, the flashlight beam covers the area where the shotgun will be covering. I'm kinda fond of the red dot scopes on shotguns as well, but in a HD situation I would rather not have to turn anything other than the flashlight on.

As for the 5-40 that is referring to the thread size.

Edited by MCSCOTT

heres my HD / Tacticool / Turkey gun

Mossy 500 with dot,mesa tactical shellholder on ejection port side sidesaddle on the left side MESA adapterwith a 4 position stock

with a Maverick 88 trigger housing which moves the safety to somewhere I can reach it..the tang safety also still works in case I go back to a conventional stock..

around the house 18" with a handguard (cause I can in Tenn.) and for turkey 28" with a ported turkey choke the tube acts like a sight (if I don't turn the dot on) and the dot is centered in the pattern,..house distances it is one small pattern though

Around house...00 Buck in the gun and on the sidesaddle (12 shots) and 4 slugs on the eject port side. weighs about 9 lbs.

Turkey season, I lose the sidesaddles,change the barrel and just fill the mag tube also take 1 step in on the stock, shorter LOP is better for sitting with the vest etc..

Copyofm500action.jpg

here's my 835 i put the ATI stock on it and 2 of the drop spacers epoxied together to make it feel right. I just use it hunting turkey and i have a rifled slug barrel.

i've been looking for a cheap mossy 500 or remmy 870 to make a house gun out of.

DSCN1636.jpg