Got pulled over tonight.

Guest clsutton21

Guest clsutton21

I was riding around with my friend tonight just hanging out and talking and got pulled over. The cop said he pulled us over because "we looked like we were going fast and whipped into Taco Bell." After handing him my gun permit for my ID(I wasn't driving), he said he needed my license...not my permit.

He went back and ran the tags after telling my friend he looked familiar and suspicious and came back and took him out of the truck, then me. He had the dog search it after basically telling us that we had drugs in the truck, which, of course, we didn't. He gave us a little talk and asked us if we ever smoked any pot. After we both said no, because we hadn't. He got a smart little grin and said, "That's surprising since you're both from Franklin County." That made me mad, and I let him know that everyone didn't smoke pot in my county and I was offended he thought we did. He told me that he didn't say that and I quoted him as above and told him that's what he intended. He kept on trying to act like he didn't mean it and I let him know my family had been there since the late 1800's. He looked dumbfounded that someone would stand up to him and look him directly in the eyes while he talked junk about their homeplace and where they grew up along with their families. Finally he realized how ignorant he sounded and quit trying to get in the last word.

This is just a vent and something to say: Just because you have a badge, it doesn't give you the right to talk that way about someone or their hometown. Just because you just graduated from your academy a year ago, doesn't give you a license to try to "prove" yourself in front of your higher ups. Because there are some people out there, like me, that will stand up for themselves and won't let you talk junk about their hometown; I will make you out to be an asshat because that's what you are. You don't scare me and you give the REAL officers a bad name, no wonder people cop bash all the time.

Rant over.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bonedaddy

Prowd of ya, feller! That kinda crap gets my goat too. My late step father would make most of the LEO's like that look like idiots every chance he got just to make'm get a clue. He was a professional at his job. Not some jerk ass fresh outta the academy. You can be safe, professional and still liked by your community. Unless your a jerkass.:2cents:

Guest bkelm18

My hometown is Oak Ridge, commonly referred to as the crack capital of east TN (as well as several other names). Doesn't bother me one bit. But good job standing up for your beliefs.

Guest clsutton21
My hometown is Oak Ridge, commonly referred to as the crack capital of east TN (as well as several other names). Doesn't bother me one bit. But good job standing up for your beliefs.

I get where you're coming from...I do know people that smoke in Franklin County(and in Putnam)...it was just the fact that the Cookeville PD rookie decided to talk down to me and blanket my entire county like that for no reason at all.

Edited by clsutton21

Did you give him permission to search your car? I got hassled once going in to Frozen Head St. Park. The LEO asked if he could search my truck. I said "no". "If you don't give me permission to search your truck, we'll bring in a drug dog!" he said. So they bought over this Beagle, The dog walks around my truck sniffing then sets down. "You see that! He just hit on your truck. We have probable cause." I said "You gotta be kiddin me! That ain't no drug dog, that's somebody's huntin' dog!" They searched my truck and found nothing. I have always heard that you don't want to mess with the law in Morgan County. "It doesn't pay to do wrong" hangs over their jail house.

Edited by Will Carry

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized

I was riding around with my friend tonight just hanging out and talking and got pulled over. The cop said he pulled us over because "we looked like we were going fast and whipped into Taco Bell." After handing him my gun permit for my ID(I wasn't driving), he said he needed my license...not my permit.

He went back and ran the tags after telling my friend he looked familiar and suspicious and came back and took him out of the truck, then me. He had the dog search it after basically telling us that we had drugs in the truck, which, of course, we didn't. He gave us a little talk and asked us if we ever smoked any pot. After we both said no, because we hadn't. He got a smart little grin and said, "That's surprising since you're both from Franklin County." That made me mad, and I let him know that everyone didn't smoke pot in my county and I was offended he thought we did. He told me that he didn't say that and I quoted him as above and told him that's what he intended. He kept on trying to act like he didn't mean it and I let him know my family had been there since the late 1800's. He looked dumbfounded that someone would stand up to him and look him directly in the eyes while he talked junk about their homeplace and where they grew up along with their families. Finally he realized how ignorant he sounded and quit trying to get in the last word.

This is just a vent and something to say: Just because you have a badge, it doesn't give you the right to talk that way about someone or their hometown. Just because you just graduated from your academy a year ago, doesn't give you a license to try to "prove" yourself in front of your higher ups. Because there are some people out there, like me, that will stand up for themselves and won't let you talk junk about their hometown; I will make you out to be an asshat because that's what you are. You don't scare me and you give the REAL officers a bad name, no wonder people cop bash all the time.

Rant over.

Got pulled over once in Athens, TN. I was not speeding. I said why did you pull me over the officer said because your from Rhea County. I said since when is it a crime to be from another county and go to another county? He didnt say anything. Little did he know I was tape recording the conversation as I had just come from class at TTC @athens and had been tape recording the lecture so I could take notes on it later and review. Well needless to say I tape recorded the whole conversation, the dude pulled me out of the car and I had left the tape recorder recording under the drivers seat. He said can I search your car. I said no get a warrant. He said what do you have to hide? I said nothing (which I didnt have anything to hide.) I said you do not have probable cause to search my vehicle because i was not speeding. I said being from another county is not probable cause. Anyways, after he let me go I went to the McMinn County Sherriffs department talked to his boss and played the tape for him. Later on I got a letter in the mail from the guys boss saying that the officer had been let go.

Edited by Alpha7

Rant over.

Personally, I would have been a total DICK in this situation. I am always polite towrds cops but they have to earn it for me to continue to be polite.. In this situation the cop didn't earn a damn thing.

It would have been a cold day in hell he searched my vehicle with out shagging his superior out of bed or at lest 1/2 a dozen other cops.

Then I would have filed a complaint.

Got pulled over once in Athens, TN. I was not speeding. I said why did you pull me over the officer said because your from Rhea County. I said since when is it a crime to be from another county and go to another county? He didnt say anything. Little did he know I was tape recording the conversation as I had just come from class at TTC @athens and had been tape recording the lecture so I could take notes on it later and review. Well needless to say I tape recorded the whole conversation, the dude pulled me out of the car and I had left the tape recorder recording under the drivers seat. He said can I search your car. I said no get a warrant. He said what do you have to hide? I said nothing (which I didnt have anything to hide.) I said you do not have probable cause to search my vehicle because i was not speeding. I said being from another county is not probable cause. Anyways, after he let me go I went to the McMinn County Sherriffs department talked to his boss and played the tape for him. Later on I got a letter in the mail from the guys boss saying that the officer had been let go.

I think I'll pick up a recorder. this is a hell of an idea. I think it's about time we fired back at LE with our own devices. don't get me wrong I have never really had a bad situation on a traffic stop but in all fairness they are quite common and it's your word against theirs.. so why not arm yourself.

I believe in TN it is illegal to record a face to face conversation without both parties being aware. The 1 person must be notified rule applies to phone conversations. Frankly, I don't see the difference, but that is what I dug up a year or so ago.

"Can We Tape?"

A person who is a party to a wire, oral, or electronic communication, or who has obtained the consent of at least one party, can lawfully record a communication and divulge the contents of the recorded conversation unless he has a criminal or tortious purpose. Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-13-601. Violations are punishable as felonies with jail sentences of between two and 12 years and fines not to exceed $5,000. Tenn. Code Ann. §§ 39-13-602, 40-35-111.

Under the statute, consent is not required for the taping of a non-electronic communication uttered by a person who does not have a reasonable expectation of privacy in that communication. See definition of “oral communication,†Tenn. Code Ann. § 40-6-303.

Anyone whose communications have been unlawfully intercepted can file a civil suit to recover the greater of actual damages or liquidated damages of $100 per day of violation or $10,000, whichever is greater. A plaintiff can also claim punitive damages, attorney fees, and litigation costs. The statute of limitations for such a lawsuit is two years. Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-13-603.

Recording or disseminating a communication carried out through a cellular or cordless phone, or disseminating the contents with knowledge of their illegal origin, without the consent of at least one party, can be punished as a felony with a potential prison sentence of between one and six years and a fine not to exceed $3,000. Tenn. Code Ann. §§ 39-13-604, 40-35-111.

It is a misdemeanor to photograph, film, or observe a person without consent where there is a reasonable expectation of privacy; when the photographing, filming or viewing “would offend or embarrass an ordinary person,†and when the filming is done for sexual purposes. Tenn. Code Ann. §§ 39-13-605, 39-13-607. Dissemination of a photograph or videotape taken in violation of these provisions is a felony. Tenn. Code Ann. §39-13-605(2).

Under the statute, consent is not required for the taping of a non-electronic communication uttered by a person who does not have a reasonable expectation of privacy in that communication. See definition of “oral communication,” Tenn. Code Ann. § 40-6-303.

I'd say that takes care of recording a cop when he pulled you over. I doubt that he has a reasonable expectation of privacy, if he has invaded yours, even with probable

cause. That's the only way you could rebut his testimony. If he's in his official capacity and not abusing his power, you wouldn't have anything, but just in case.

Guest clsutton21

I will be writing a letter to the complaint dept for Cookeville's PD. I'm kicking myself for not getting his badge number or name, but I have his description down almost perfect. I'm sure there couldn't be that many LEO's out at 2:15 that look exactly like him.

Guest clsutton21

This is my letter::

February 7, 2010

To whom this may concern:

My friend and I were driving around Cookeville just hanging out and getting some food from Taco Bell. We noticed that there was an officer behind us that kept following us from the Taco Bell on Jefferson, to a gas station all the way over on Willow. We knew that he must be getting ready to pull us over, but he didn’t flash his lights so we kept driving. As we were pulling into the gas station, he flashed his lights and we, of course, stopped. He got my friends drivers license and my gun permit (I wasn’t driving) for ID’s. We both have spotless records besides a speeding ticket or two.

He went back and ran the tags and ID’s after telling my friend he looked familiar and suspicious and came back and took him out of the truck, then me. He had the dog search it after basically telling us that we had drugs in the truck, which, of course, we didn't. After the dog found nothing, he gave us a little talk and asked us if we ever smoked any pot. After we both said no, because we hadn't, he got a smart little grin and said, "That's surprising since you're both from Franklin County." That made me mad, and I let him know that everyone didn't smoke pot in my county and I was offended he thought we did. He told me that he didn't say that and I quoted him as above and told him that's what he intended. He kept on trying to act like he didn't mean it and I let him know my family had been there since the late 1800's. He looked dumbfounded that someone would stand up to him and look him directly in the eyes while he talked junk about their home place and where they grew up along with their families. Finally he realized how ignorant he sounded and quit trying to get in the last word.

Seems to me like there is blatant profiling going on here and I am kicking myself for not getting the badge number or name from the officer. I will describe him: blond hair, blue eyes, 6’2”, maybe 26-30 years old, and like I said, he was out last night around 2:15am. I figure there can’t be that many people out at that time that look like him. In your duties and responsibilities online it states that, “promoting a positive image of our profession” is one of your duties. With this particular officer, I feel that this was completely passed up. I am by no means a “cop basher” and respect all LEO’s, but this latest run-in could turn a person the other way. In this case, if I had the ID of the officer, I would recommend suspension or at least a stern talking to. That way, since he’s young, he won’t shame your PD for the rest of his career like he did earlier this morning.

Thank you,

Caleb Sutton

There will be dispatch records of the stop to tell the Police chief who conducted the stop. I don't know if all Cookeville PD have the dash cams but some do as they were the unit that got national publicity for shooting the dog on the side of I-40. Ask for the dash cam and audio to be reviewed with you!

In fact, if you can, deliver the complaint personally and ask to see the records or at least verify they are present. Do not let them do the administrative shuffle on you.

If your family has an attorney they have used, you might give them a call and inform them you may have need of them and that if pushed you will be providing the PD with their name as council. This will usually stop the admin run around and might prevent them from excessive "looking" for records.

Guest Swamprunner

cl:

Cookeville in general, has a very bad reputation. You did just fine, with it being 2:15 in the AM and all. I would say that the situation would have been "less kind" if you were alone.

IMHO, you would be better served if you just left it alone, and never visited or spent money in their fair city again.

Guys like this usually find themselves out on the street in short order anyway. I would, however, write a nice note explaining what happened to the State Public Safety Director. You may never hear back, but you would be on record in a constructive manner.

Back in the day, when I was a newly minted LEO, I went up North with a couple of buddies for deer season in Northern Wisconsin. I was waiting outside of a friends house for her to come home and three cruisers arrived. Next thing I know, I looking down the bore of a model 12.

We were placed in handcuffs and handled rather roughly, thrown face first into a snowbank. My handcuffs were on so tight I had nerve damage in my left hand. So, my friend shows up and starts yelling at the PD saying that she knows me and that I'm a LEO and all. I'm laying there with blood all over and sez "my badge and ID are in my jacket". They then cut us loose and left without saying hello, goodbye, or even kiss my a**. I went and got sewed up, and left town. Never came back. When I got back home, I wrote a nice note on letterhead, with an endorsement form my boss to the Wisconsin State Police. My boss got a letter back, but never told me what was said, except to say "stay the hell away from there". Years later, I found out that the PD I had trouble with killed a retarded kid, and there was a wholesale housecleaning up there.

CL, fer what it is worth coming from me, stay the hell away from there.

Edited by Swamprunner
bad speller