Hearing Protection?

I've been using ear plugs and cheap muffs, but I was wondering if it would be worth my while to pick up some more expensive hearing protection? Specifically, I was looking at some lower end Peltor noise cancelling muffs.

Anybody want to recommend something else? I'm all ears :D

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HexHead
I've been using ear plugs and cheap muffs, but I was wondering if it would be worth my while to pick up some more expensive hearing protection? Specifically, I was looking at some lower end Peltor noise cancelling muffs.

Anybody want to recommend something else? I'm all ears :D

I've got the Peltor Tactical 7s muffs and they're great and worth the money. For starters, you don't have to disassemble the ear cup to change the battery. It uses a 9v battery that is accessed from the outside of the unit. Lots of reviews I read of the cheaper units spoke about ripping the vinyl or the foam trying to get to the battery. It's great being able to carry on a normal conversation with them on and having them shut down instantly when needed. They work very well. Highly recommended.

Guest jackdm3

I just use my fingers.

Shoot. Stick them in my ears. Pick the gun up off the ground.

And so on.

Gotta be quick, though ...

Guest 1817ak47

I have a nice set of swiss made ones from ao safety that cost about 18 each. but they get in the way of the stock when I shot my sks. so sometimes when i shot the sks I took them off or found a set of spare ear plugs that i had lying around. but they work great for pistol. the foam on them is real soft and conform real well. there are a few other labels that sell the same exact set under different names

What's your hearing worth?

You don't have to spend much to get amazing protection. You may gain some cool features like limiters and noise cancellation, but you'll likely not gain anything over the inexpensive stuff wrt to overall protection.

With proper selection of simple foam plugs and cheap passive Peltor's you can achieve >60dB of attenuation - more than enough to avoid damage (considering the short duration of the transient of a gunshot).

I've got the Peltor Tactical 7s muffs and they're great and worth the money. For starters, you don't have to disassemble the ear cup to change the battery. It uses a 9v battery that is accessed from the outside of the unit. Lots of reviews I read of the cheaper units spoke about ripping the vinyl or the foam trying to get to the battery. It's great being able to carry on a normal conversation with them on and having them shut down instantly when needed. They work very well. Highly recommended.

Agree with Hexhead. The Peltor Tactical 7s work very well and are comfortable for long periods of time. It is great to have the ability to maintain a conversation with someone at the range but still have the hearing protection.

Here is what I wear. They had the highest noise rating at 30 db of any hearing muffs on the market I have found. I have yet to shoot with them on but the muffs I had before were only 26 db so these ought to be better hopefully. They get good reviews.

MidwayUSA Ultimate 10 Earmuffs by Peltor (NRR 30dB) Blue - MidwayUSA

I also basically turn my hearing aids off when I have muffs on so as to muffle the sound even more.

Edited by Alpha7
Here is what I wear. They had the highest noise rating at 30 db of any hearing muffs on the market I have found. I have yet to shoot with them on but the muffs I had before were only 26 db so these ought to be better hopefully. They get good reviews.

MidwayUSA Ultimate 10 Earmuffs by Peltor (NRR 30dB) Blue - MidwayUSA

Yah, I have a pair of those (not branded MUSA). Combine those with some good plugs and you're all set.

Guest HexHead
Agree with Hexhead. The Peltor Tactical 7s work very well and are comfortable for long periods of time. It is great to have the ability to maintain a conversation with someone at the range but still have the hearing protection.

Also nice when at a range with marshals to be able to clearly hear the range commands.