45-70 cast bullet loads & others

For those who have not had the chance to shoot lead in rifles, especially the big bores, you have got to try it. I have been casting the 405 grain bullets from RCBS and Lee for my Marlin 1895. They are a hoot. I will say the Marlin may not be as strong as my Ruger was but it is a lot more fun to shoot. I load 34.0 grains MP5744 and they chrono 1532 with a real low SD. They can really wallop some stuff at 100 to 200 yards. I can't wait to find a place to shoot farther. Now I have to get a Guide gun and maybe a Quigley gun too.

Anybody else shooting the big bores with cast bullets? I have a bunch of 210 grain 30 calibers sized and lubed for my #1 in 06. That is going to be fun.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do. My favorite load with those cast 405 grainers is 1.9cc of 2400 powder. This comes to 25.6 grains. The Lyman 46th edition has a great set of 45/70 loads. I use it in my guide gun.

It clocks at around 1450-1500fps. It hits silhouettes at 75 yards H-A-R-D and is also a great pig/deer stopper. Will do 1.1" at 100 yards with a Leupold 2-7

Have to agree that the 45/70 at mid-range loads is about the most fun you can have shooting.

I have a bunch of 210 grain 30 calibers sized and lubed for my #1 in 06. That is going to be fun.

Don't forget the .30-30 either. It is one of the best cast bullet chamberings made. 150 or 170 grainers at the same 1400-1500 fps hits harder than a .357 and is very accurate at mid-distance due to a pretty good sectional density. Any of the .223 powders work great in it.

It is an excellent cartridge for cast bullets that many people have forgotten about as it is primarily a deer gun.

Don't forget the .30-30 either. It is one of the best cast bullet chamberings made. 150 or 170 grainers at the same 1400-1500 fps hits harder than a .357 and is very accurate at mid-distance due to a pretty good sectional density. Any of the .223 powders work great in it.

It is an excellent cartridge for cast bullets that many people have forgotten about as it is primarily a deer gun.

I will probably pick up a 30-30 as I have had them and I have a bunch of brass. I am really thinking of getting a 35 Remington because I cast so many .357 bullets also. I am just a little concerned with the Micro Groove rifling. I have molds for the 32 Winchester and the 38-55 but I don't know if I want to fool with those as I do not have dies or brass. I will probably trade those off...are you listening BJ.

I'm shooting a Marlin 1895ss and using the Lee 340gr with 25.0 gr of 5744. It chrono's at 1200fps and doesn't kick the crap out of me. It is my deer load and should be plenty strong enough for any Tennessee deer out to 130 yards.

For my 30-30 I'm casting a 173 gr Lyman FP that does well either for plinking or hunting. Can't recall the powder I'm using.

I shoot a 50 alaskan with 600 grain cast it is an enlighting exp. also 416rigby 458 win mag 40/444 falin in both marlin and sharps big bores are the way to go

With a #1 action you can load 45/70 right at the heels of the big bores mentioned above....however in the 7 pound rifle it seems to hurt a bit more. Have put a couple of 405 grainers downrange a 2200+fps.

I agree with you...Can ring your bell like a prizefighter