FNX-9

Smith

Anyone seen or handled one of FN's new FNX line? I loved the FNP I had, except for the inability to carry C&L. I had intentions of picking up an FNP-USG, but I'm really liking what I see of the FNX. The knock I had with the FNP was the weak feeling de-cocking/safety lever and they are using the FNP-45's, which should be an improvement.

Thoughts opinions?

New FNX

FNM0169sb.png

Old FNP for comparison

FNM0047sb.png

Edited by Smith
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grips, rail, safety/de-cocker, slide release, and mag release are all different. The major improvements to me are the safety and mag release. the original safety was a flimsy feeling bent piece of sheet metal that you could bend pretty easy. The new design is a lot better IMO.

Guest Bronker
Anyone seen or handled one of FN's new FNX line? I loved the FNP I had, except for the inability to carry C&L. I had intentions of picking up an FNP-USG, but I'm really liking what I see of the FNX. The knock I had with the FNP was the weak feeling de-cocking/safety lever and they are using the FNP-45's, which should be an improvement.

Thoughts opinions?

New FNX

FNM0169sb.png

Old FNP for comparison

FNM0047sb.png

As you well know Smith, my latest 'decision' came down to this gun and a CZ 75 variant.

It came down to my being able to fondle a CZ in person, and finding a killer price on a SP-01 Phantom. Would have loved to handled the FNX.

Regardless, I can't imagine liking one any better than I do this CZ Phantom.

As you well know Smith, my latest 'decision' came down to this gun and a CZ 75 variant.

It came down to my being able to fondle a CZ in person, and finding a killer price on a SP-01 Phantom. Would have loved to handled the FNX.

Regardless, I can't imagine liking one any better than I do this CZ Phantom.

To me they are even on the great guns list. However, the FNX only weighs 21 oz, BIG diff for carry and has changeable back straps (not a big deal). It holds 17 rnds so it is in between the P07 and SP01 on that front. It's really got me interested.

Guest Bronker
To me they are even on the great guns list. However, the FNX only weighs 21 oz, BIG diff for carry and has changeable back straps (not a big deal). It holds 17 rnds so it is in between the P07 and SP01 on that front. It's really got me interested.

Tis true. This Phantom comes in at 24 oz. And it's so balanced (and I'm so giant) that I intend to carry it when I can prove it's reliable, and I can find a holster for it.

The Phantom has interchangeable back straps too.

I won't go on...don't want to divert your topic!!!!:D

So, are these FNX's out yet? Still have never seen one, and I have gone looking.

Tis true. This Phantom comes in at 24 oz. And it's so balanced (and I'm so giant) that I intend to carry it when I can prove it's reliable, and I can find a holster for it.

The Phantom has interchangeable back straps too.

I won't go on...don't want to divert your topic!!!!:D

So, are these FNX's out yet? Still have never seen one, and I have gone looking.

Phantom weighs 28.8 oz. The P07 weighs 27 oz

Guest JHatmaker

I absolutely loved the FNP9 I had, so I can assume I'd like the FNX model. I never really had a problem with the FNP's decocker (though I can see where others would)

I'll definately have to check one out as soon as they start hitting the stores.

From what I can tell from the pictures, the grips and styling of the new FNX 9 and 40 seem more like that of the FNP-45 which I really like. Although I have the USG model, I still have been carrying for the most part hammer down. I will have to check into the FNX models. Are they just DA/SA or do they have a USG variant capable of cocked and locked?

From what I can tell from the pictures, the grips and styling of the new FNX 9 and 40 seem more like that of the FNP-45 which I really like. Although I have the USG model, I still have been carrying for the most part hammer down. I will have to check into the FNX models. Are they just DA/SA or do they have a USG variant capable of cocked and locked?

Yeah, it's a shrunk down FNP-45 and it retains the USG SA/DA capabilities.

• 3 months later...

I had an FNP for a short time, it worked, felt decent, but wasn't a big enough jump over Glock to make me want to keep it. I've had 4 or 5 CZ's, pretty nice overall and for full size they make nice service pistols.

I like what they have done to the FNX and would trade for one if I wouldn't lose too much in the deal. I'm wondering in overall handling how those decocker/safety levers hold up or if they may be prone to being "accidentally" moved?

Mine moves occasionally on my FNP-45 when I have it loaded and decocked and on safe. Sometimes i go to unholster it at the end of the day and find it ready to fire...Not a real problem tho unless it happened and I was carrying cocked and locked, which I don't. I don't think there is anything wrong with it, just that I move a lot, in and out of the car etc...

Mine moves occasionally on my FNP-45 when I have it loaded and decocked and on safe. Sometimes i go to unholster it at the end of the day and find it ready to fire...Not a real problem tho unless it happened and I was carrying cocked and locked, which I don't. I don't think there is anything wrong with it, just that I move a lot, in and out of the car etc...

If I'm not mistaken C&L adds pressure to the safety when it is engaged and holds it much more firmly.

Sometimes i go to unholster it at the end of the day and find it ready to fire...Not a real problem tho unless it happened and I was carrying cocked and locked, which I don't.

Hmmm.... that is a problem of sorts. I'm still inclined to like the pistol but will have to play with one to see if I can live with the controls.

Craig

Handled an FNX the other day... They managed to put the safety/decocker in an even worse spot than where Sig puts it's slide-stops, plus it's plastic and it feels just as flimsy as the old lever the FNP's had and anyone with good thumbs-forward grip technique or who's used to shooting 1911's can enjoy inadvertently decocking the gun over and over...

If you're looking for C&L'd in a da/sa that means a traditional CZ/Witness w/o a decocker IMO.

Handled an FNX the other day... They managed to put the safety/decocker in an even worse spot than where Sig puts it's slide-stops, plus it's plastic and it feels just as flimsy as the old lever the FNP's had and anyone with good thumbs-forward grip technique or who's used to shooting 1911's can enjoy inadvertently decocking the gun over and over...

If you're looking for C&L'd in a da/sa that means a traditional CZ/Witness w/o a decocker IMO.

That's a shame about the lever. My only grip with the FNP's were the flimsy feeling levers. I had high hopes taking cues from the well received FNP45 would have fixed that. Not that i ever read any problems with either lever design, but the cheap feeling bent metal levers of the FNP just weren't confidence inspiring. I still want to handle one a bit before I decide against it.