The Importance of Direct Activism and the Second Amendment March

Guest oldsmobile98

Guest oldsmobile98

Warning: Admonition of moderate length.

It is sometimes said that time is the only thing we can't get back. Money can be regained -- a man may go from riches to rags, and then back to riches -- but no one can go back in time. Often we don't acknowledge the fact that the gift of time is more valuable than the gift of money, but anyone who has raised a kid successfully can tell you that.

What I'm getting at here is that we need your direct participation if we are going to reverse the gun control situation. You may be a dues-paying member of the NRA, GOA, and JPFO, but money is not quite the same thing as time. An analogy: letter-writing. If I wrote to Bill Murray and told him I thought he was hilarious, I wouldn't be ecstatic if I received back a typed form letter from his office. But if I got back a note written in his own handwriting, THAT would make me sit up and take notice, because I would know that he had taken notice of me.

My point? Paying dues to your RKBA group of choice is good. Emailing your reps is good. Talking to and admonishing/encouraging your reps in person? Now we're getting somewhere. Introducing someone who's never fired a gun to the wonderful world of shooting? Yeah buddy.

So, having said that, I would like to entreat and beseech you to come to the Second Amendment March this spring if it is even remotely within the realm of possibility. There is no substitute for personal activism. The politicians can ignore letters and emails, but it's hard to pretend that warm bodies aren't there (though the media will do its best, I'm sure). The national march is on April 19, 2010 in Washington, D.C. The Tennessee state march is in Nashville on a date to be determined; I will announce it when I find out. The state march will probably be in late March/early April.

Hope to see you at one or both! PM me with any questions/comments.

Edited by oldsmobile98
clarity
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Olds,

Thanks for writing that. I heard about the march many months ago and have been planning to attend ever since. I am not sure how I will swing it but I will figure out a way if I have to sleep in my car. I have been disappointed by the of gun owners I have spoken to.

Glenn

Guest mosinon
There is no substitute for personal activism.

Liberal, conservative, tea partier, libertarian, gun owner, hindu, whatever. It is all good by me as long as you take time to get involved. Olds is right, bitch as much as you want but unless you are involved you aren't really trying.

Get out there and get involved!

...There is no substitute for personal activism. The politicians can ignore letters and emails, but it's hard to pretend that warm bodies aren't there (though the media will do its best, I'm sure).

:D When we had 10,000+ in front of the Capitol in Nashville last April, the news tried everything they could to marginalize us. BUT THEY COVERED IT!!! And the footage they took made lies of their claims of 'just a few thousand', 'white extremists', etc.

Now, the Tea Party is recognized as an effective political force. It is time for Gun Owners to be recognized in the same light. That will only happen if we stand together in public.

Agreed!

A far more eloquent and brave man than I spoke these words:

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams

He entreated men to the efforts of Liberty in his day; when the price for such action was far greater than that which each of us faces now. We should honor the deeds and words of his and our other Founders by standing up to be counted in preserving the gifts of freedom their sacrifices paid for.