Now YOU Can Play Gun Shop Owner

The Rabbi

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One other thong I would suggest is seek better sourcing. I know another dealer that bought a large lot of guns confiscated by twra. He was able to turn them on gunbroker fairly quickly as that market is nation wide. You could do something on a smaller scale if you advertised buying guns, research them out on the auction sights and only buy them when you know you have room to profit. That is a little bit of a gunshow/pawnshop mentality but it has proven to work for many.

In my experience, anything in .357SIG or .45GAP does not sell. Avoid those calibers.

Crazy Lincoln might disagree with you.

I have never stocked any .45gap firearms. If some come along at an irresistable price I will probably take them. Discounted enough they would make good purchases for the right people.

Guest CrazyLincoln

Rabbi, after the next big project that comes my way, I'll help you with your "sig movement" problem (I wouldn't mind the 229 to add to my collection.....)

As for in the shop, I would say you need 2 guns no one can afford and a bunch of guns everyone buys. Yeah, they could buy a 700 at BPS but why drive all that way when you already came to Rabbi's shop to see the <instert eye/hand candy here>, oh wait, he just happens to have one in stock! Oh, and wait you don't have to wait in line to get some 'know it all' to tell you instead you need X that costs $1500 more for an extra 1/4 MOA!(Actually happened when I went to BPS, although slightly exaggerated)

I dunno, I don't mind paying a little extra for a lot a service, but maybe thats just me.

(No that doesn't mean tack $500 on to everything next time I come in :D)

Guest canynracer
All of that is excellent advice.

Part of my issue is that I'm not a rifle guy. I go through a rifle phase every 18 months before deciding that my time (and money) would be better spent on hand-guns. I mean, heck, I carry one every day. Can't say that about a rifle.

+1

and if you have that many surplus 9mm...I think I SHOULD come out to Nashville...:drool:

Guest triggertime
Crazy Lincoln might disagree with you.

I have never stocked any .45gap firearms. If some come along at an irresistable price I will probably take them. Discounted enough they would make good purchases for the right people.

I guess insane dead presidents like spending $18 a box on practice ammo. Either that, or Crazy Lincoln saves his own pennies....

Guest CrazyLincoln

Just 'cause I like the round doesn't mean I use it for plinking. I spend less on that than my .223.......

You should see what Multiple Personality Washington spends for a day at the range........ :down:

I reload and cast bullets so I can shoot cheap regardless of the caliber. I may pick up a 45GAP down the road if I can find one really cheap. All you have to do them is buy 500 pcs of brass. Downsides, You have to double check to make sure that none of your gazillions of 45ACP cases get mixed in with your GAP or visa versa, you have to adjust your crimp and seat dies every time you switch calibers or buy a completely separate 45 setup for your Dillon/Lee/whatever, and 357 Sig is bottle necked, so you have to lube cases(no carbide dies for that caliber)....on second thought, 45ACP, 9MM, 357/38, 44mag/44sp covers all my needs, I think I'll pass.

Just a heads up on something that I think everyone on here and possibly your drop in customer would want. I know the day I can hold one and make sure it isn't cheap junk is the day it's coming home with me. Here's the link to the guy ordering them, there's some other distributor I've contacted as this guy is an ass to deal with. I don't know of anyone in the state getting these and everyone I have talked to about it wants one. so .... without further adu

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/semi4sale.cgi?read=181078

looks real cheap ... not gonna go up in value, but would defintly get used till the bolt fell out at my house.

Also dunno if you do but I would stock lower part kits for ar and similar. I haven't been in but last summer during a build I called everywhere I could think of (sorry for not calling didn't know about you) and couldn't find a lpk. Had to wait 2 weeks for the next gun show.