90 Days are up

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest musiccitymadman
they have 90 days to "notify" you it took mine almost 5 months, around the 90th day i called and two days later received a letter and email from them saying there were running behind.

Tn. 39-17-1351 sec.l states

(l) The department shall issue a permit to an applicant not prohibited from obtaining a permit under this section no later than ninety (90) days after the date the department receives the application. A permit issued prior to the department's receipt of the Tennessee and federal bureaus of investigation's criminal history record checks based upon the applicant's fingerprints shall be subject to immediate revocation if either record check reveals that the applicant is not eligible for a permit pursuant to the provisions of this section. So by state laws your rights were violated.

Guest mn32768
they have 90 days to "notify" you it took mine almost 5 months, around the 90th day i called and two days later received a letter and email from them saying there were running behind.

Can you post a copy of the email? TCA clearly states that TDOS has to issue the HCP within 90 days. If they're sending out notices that they're knowingly violating the law, the legislature (TN state reps and senators) and the Attorney General need to be notified.

Can you post a copy of the email? TCA clearly states that TDOS has to issue the HCP within 90 days. If they're sending out notices that they're knowingly violating the law, the legislature (TN state reps and senators) and the Attorney General need to be notified.

Of course issue date and printing/mailing date don't have to be the same.

However, they have routinely violated this part of the statute since it was enacted.

I was once told on phone "if you miss the first 90 day cycle, it could take as long as 180 days".

According to reports, they also don't always meet the 10 day notification of denial time line either.

- OS

I would have to look back on a old email account if I can remember the password but I applied on Jan 13 2009 and finger printed the next day, issued on 5-12-2009 and told it was mailed and arrived at my house on 6-3-2009 and I live in Nashville less then 7 miles from the handgun permit office.

Guess its just have bad luck ? Or I can say we just have a great Government?

Nope. TCA clearly states 90 days to ISSUE. Even if background checks have not completed.

However, there is no penalty for them not conforming to the statute.

- OS

Personally I think we should work to change that... if we break the law there is a penalty, why should they be any different? Also, we should limit HCP fees to fund only HCP related expenses... That would result in a faster turn around time.