Ruger SR9c?

Guest Baddawg865

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Sgt. Joe

See post #12 for pics and comparison to SR9 full size. The following range report is also included in the thread.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/handguns/34594-where-can-i-see-sr-9c-2.html

An update to the following is that my gun has been repaired and I should have it back tomorrow,(Mon. 2-22) depending on time of arrival I may get to shoot it again tomorrow, if not then it will be ASAP.

They (Ruger) told me that they simply replaced the lower, and without changing the Serial number. Evidently they can build around the metal plate that contains the serial number. They also said mine was the only one returned with this "pin" issue. And that they have only had a handful returned at all. But it only has been on the market for a month or so.

With it being a new production only time will tell, but since it is pretty much the same exact gun as the SR9 I do have confidence that it is going to work well for us and them without any "across the board" issues.

I do really like it. I will post again when I get to fire it again, all I was able to find as far as ammo the other day was some Blazer and some Lawman, I have not shot either as of yet but have a 100 of each and I think about 100 Remington FMJ's. I will also probaly use some range re-loads and a few Critical Defense rounds in the mix.

It did eat everything I fed it the first time out. Hopefully that will still be the case. Ruger also said they use anything American made to test fir and had used the Lawman in testing mine this time. I do hope it works well as it was only about 13 bucks for 50 and that is a buck or so cheaper than the range re-loads.

Ruger SR9c Initial Range Report.......2-6-2010

I took the new tool to the range today and overall, the gun is a sweet shooter, trigger is crisp pretty much like the full size. There was no noticeable difference in any recoil it was very slight same as the FS. I had NO fail to fire, feed or eject issues what so ever. I shot Winchester White box, some Independence 115 FMJ's and 20 Horady Critical Defense rounds. Some mags were loaded with all three. A total of 200 rounds.

I also did not notice any difference with the ten round (with pinky extension) and the 17 round mags. I do not however think I would be able to shoot this pistol as well with the flush bottom ten round mag.

The sights on this one may need a slight adjustment but I will fire it again before I do anything, my shoulder was bothering me a bit today and it could well have been me. Toward the end of the session either I was doing better or it was. It at first was seeming to shoot left but as I said it seemed to get much better the more I shot which leads me to believe that it was more me than the pistol. At any rate the 8-10 complete misses were barely misses and were head shots at 15-18 yards I did not shoot any farther today. Sight adjustment on this gun is very easy if I need to do that, But I will shoot it again before I do. I dont normally miss that many and just last week put 32 of 34 in the head at 25 yards with the full size at a pretty rapid pace.

HOWEVER.......Such a huge word.... :(

Let me cuss here for a moment (&*(^&)^%^(^())!!!... OK I'm good;)

After somewhere close to 100 rounds I noticed one of the retaining pins (if that is what it is? seems it has to be such?) had worked itself nearly out of the gun!.....It scared the fire outa me! as it was worked out nearly the width of the gun when I noticed it. I feel like another mag or two tops and that pin would have been on the floor:eek:

I have no idea what would have happened if it had come all the way out as there are two of these pins. They are located near the breakdown pin but not part of the normal breakdown.

I used the edge of the mag loader to push it back in and it wasnt all that easy, I was not able to budge it with just my hand. I thought it would stay as hard as it was to push it back in. But after every mag it would be worked out just a little again, I kept pushing it back in and it kept working itself out? The gun was functioning perfectly the whole time even when it was darn near all the way out.

While I am not thrilled about this I am not all that upset either as I am sure my store will make it right, they were getting ready to close until Monday but told me to bring it back then as all the managers were also not there.

They still had the other two as they have been swamped this week with all of the managers and several others gone to some buying shows and have not even had time to put them in the showcase yet. I am going to ask that they just switch it out but I dont know if they will or if they will want to send it in for me. I am going to ask that they just switch it out.

(update to this pargraph is that the other two have been sold)

This will be my first experience with returning anything there but I dont anticipate any problems. I also do not THINK this will be an issue with all these guns, I certainly can not be sure about that but just dont think it will be. If they simply switch mine out I will know the answer to that sooner rather than later.

So without the pin issue the gun gets an A+ for at least the first 200 rounds which seems these days to be when the problems are seen with new guns....

With the issue the grade remains to be determined if it is an across the board thing that will just be another slap at an American Company and while they had issues with the triggers on the FS I didnt buy mine until they had all been resolved. Only my Walther PPS has a better trigger than my FS SR9 and not by much really anyway. The trigger on the "c" felt just like the FS.

I said I would be the guinea pig for this one and thus I am:p I really hope this isnt an across the board issue as I really really like the gun:D

• 1 year later...
Guest geomac

I have owned an SR9c for about 5 months now...it is an EXCELLENT handgun. I have had no failures of any kind and it eats any ammo given. The gun has a very good trigger and excellent 3 dot sights...it makes me a much better shot that I am. I typically target shoot at the 21ft. range and can group shots in 2 inches groups all day long. The SR 9c has replaced my Sig P229 as my daily carry....that is saying something. The Ruger is easy to conseal and even though larger than some compact 9's it rides in a Don Hume IWB holster real nice...very comfortable. I would urge you'all to take a serious look at the SR9c....great gun.

I am left handed so the ambidextrous safety and mag release were big features for me when I bought mine last April. It eats all ammo w/o FTF's and has been extremely dependable. I have a Galco OWB holster and the Galco day planner that holds it and both mags nicely when you want to carry but can't look suspicious (like work!). The trigger is fantastic and accuracy is quite good. For me there are two negatives with this model:

Lack of accessories (holster choices & night sights) But the biggie and more serious issue about this weapon is the razor sharp slide serrations. I've bled more than once because of this. And because of that - I sold it last month.

I have an SR9c, and it is one of my favorite guns. It is fun to shoot, accurate as I can make it.

I bought mine early, the month they were released. Probably never a good idea.

I also had a problem with a cam block roll pin walking when firing. It never caused a problem, would only move a slight bit, and never enough to impact function. If figured it was an improperly milled pin.

Ruger paid to get the gun back, fixed it, and replaced a lot of stuff not related to the problem and sent back a better gun than I sent them (I guess, I thought it was pretty good to begin with).

I had it back on the range in under two weeks, despite a holiday, and it has been flawless ever since.

I trust it, and like it well enough to carry it frequently.

But the biggie and more serious issue about this weapon is the razor sharp slide serrations. I've bled more than once because of this.

Mine are also pretty sharp but not to the point that I have been cut. I actually like how aggressive they are since this thing has one of the stiffest slide springs I have ever seen. Even so, I love this gun.

Guest .45packer

Excellent gun!! Shoots where you point it, fits the hand really well, carrys very good, light weight, like the safety and the loaded chamber indicator. Sold my XD .40 sub to buy it and have not been dissapointed.

Guest highvoltage

i was able to shoot my new sr9c today this gun is way more than i expected. i put 150 rounds downrange of 124gr jhp and 115gr fmj reloads from the 10 round mag with no problems. with accuracy close to my xdm 9 full size. this one is a keeper for sure.

• Moderators
My thoughts on the Ruger SR9:

Google Kimber KPD40, the SR9 is the rebirth of a failed Kimber design and why I'll never own one.

Considering the problems Kimber has with their 1911's and that is 95% of what they do, should it surprise you they couldn't make the KPD40 work? ;) It doesn't surprise me that Ruger was able to do with the design what Kimber couldn't.

My wife has the SR9c as her EDC. I very nearly bought one for myself until I decided on the M&P.

Sent from my MB511 using Tapatalk

Guest hickok45

I did a video with mine. Actually, I have a second video with it I'll be posting soon. It's a very nice gun that is easy to shoot well. I just love the trigger on it.

Hickok45

Guest highvoltage

thanks for the video hickok that was one of the reasons i decided to pick up one these. i was in a hurry because of a storm coming in and lots of wind when trying it out. and was really impressed with this gun. i will be working it next week at the indoor range. and then it will be my new carry gun. keep the videos coming. its great to see a gun in action before buying thanks for doing the reviews.

I did a video with mine. Actually, I have a second video with it I'll be posting soon. It's a very nice gun that is easy to shoot well. I just love the trigger on it.

Hickok45

I watched your video last night. Anyone thinking about buying this gun, as I am, should watch it.

Guest hickok45

I don't know if I'm all that "trustworthy," but I have one I've reviewed in video. Even though my favorite pistol is the Glock, I like this gun a lot. It has a great trigger and shoot very well. In fact, coincidentally, I was planning to post another video with it very soon, possibly tomorrow. Fine gun.

Hickok45