New 870 Sights

Guest Tom Givens

Guest Tom Givens

I finally managed to get a new Remington 870 barrel with the "DEA Sights" on it. 18", Imp Cyl. The new sights look odd at first. The rear sight is mounted just forward of the receiver. It is low, very beefy, and blocky. It looks VERY sturdy. The blade is the express type with a white vertical center line. This is NOT the replacement XS sight for the Remington factory rifle sights. This is a sturdy fixed rear sight.

The front sight is a white dot on a ramp. I got to do some preliminary testing today.

Federal 00 Buck, 2 rds @10 yds, 2 rds @ 15 yds, and 1 rd at 25 yards, all on one target. You could cover the pattern from all five rounds with my hand with the fingers spread out. Centered right on the sights.

Winchester Ranger Low Recoil slugs, 5 rds at 25 yds, offhand, fairly quickly. 4 of 5 went in the same ragged hole, 5th was barely out, my fault. Dead on the sights.

Brennekke Tactical Home Defense slugs, 5 rds at 25 yds. Bigger group, centered but low. That barrel definitely prefers the Ranger slug.

The sights are very quick to pick up and look REALLY rugged. I like!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tom Givens

Sorry, but those are not the standard Remington rifle sights. The standard sights are adjustable and somewhat fragile for hard use. The new sights are fixed and much sturdier.

What's kind of funny to me is that an IAC/Norinco 982 costs about the same or less than those police barrels, except you get a whole other 870-clone shotgun that's about every bit as good as a real 870 for free with the cost of it's ghost rings!

(FYI, every single part will interchange between the two EXCEPT for the barrels.)

Tom,

Welcome to TGO! Looking forward to seeing your comments in the Tactics & Training section.

Getting back on topic - - - Those are some strong looking sights, but I still like the Ghost Ring setup that Scattergun Technology did for my 870 years ago when they were in Nashville.