Finally got to use my new call and decoy!

Well went out yesterday around 4:00 or so with 2 friends from work who have never been coyote hunting before and have been dying to go. We got setup with my new mojo critter decoy and foxpro spitfire e-caller, I finally got to use them. I think we called for around 45 minutes. I started out with the baby cottontail distress. I would call for 3 minutes and silence for around 2 minutes. I did this for around 20 minutes. We seen nothing so I started calling with the jackrabbit distress. I called for 5 minutes with a 1 minute break in between. Did this for around 10 minutes and once again nothing. At this point I could tell my friends were a little worried that they might not get to see any coyotes. I told them to just be patient. After none of the rabbit calls worked I switched over to the coyote challenge howl and played it off and on for about 10 minutes, then I immediately switched to the coyote distress call. It didn't take 10 seconds after playing the coyote distress he stepped out of the tree line and came running into my decoy. He was around 50 yards when I shot and dropped him on the run. My friends were pretty excited and so was I (hunting coyotes never gets old). The lady who owns the property told me that I could hunt anytime I wanted and kill all the coyotes so they won't kill anymore of her cows, so I thanked her for letting us come out and hunt her beautiful land. I didn't skin it as I had no place to store the hide so I just cut it's tail off and I will make a mount of some sort with it and add it to the collection. I forgot my camera but one of my friends had his phone so when he sends the pics I will post them up.

0225001735a.jpg

Edited by Hunting101
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He tried to send me the pics last night but I never got them. I'm going to call him and see if he can re-send them. I have one on my phone but can't send it to my email. I don't have internet on my phone.

Edited by Hunting101
Very cool. How big was the coyote?

I would say around 40 pounds maybe 45. In the pictures I make the coyote look smaller than he is as I am 315 pounds LOL! Anyone here have internet on their phone I could send the pic I have then you could send it to my email address if you wanted to, if not no thats o.k to. I need to really get me a camera that stays in my truck, I always forget it!!!

Edited by Hunting101

Thanks Just glad to get back in the swing of things. Thought I would have bad luck since all my other calls gave out on me and finding time to go. My new call and decoy worked great, that coyote never once looked at us he was fixed on the decoy the whole time. Have to say that mojo critter decoy really works and the foxpro was great.

Guest GunTroll
I would say around 40 pounds maybe 45. In the pictures I make the coyote look smaller than he is as I am 315 pounds LOL! Anyone here have internet on their phone I could send the pic I have then you could send it to my email address if you wanted to, if not no thats o.k to. I need to really get me a camera that stays in my truck, I always forget it!!!

On the phone picture to internet problem.....have you tried photobucket.com? It works for me and I don't have internet on my phone. Take picture....send it to free account and then off to my computer or onto forums like this.

Nice job! Cool that you took some newbs out! Good for you!

Congratulations 101. That's a good looking coyote. Looks like he had a good coat of fur, like WD-40s. Did you order your Mo Jo Critter, or buy it locally at some place like Dick's or Bass Pro? Did you anchor your call some way, so he couldn't grab it up and run off with it? I've heard of that happening!

"To anger a Conservative, lie to him. To anger a Liberal, tell him the truth." Theodore Roosevelt

where did you place the call in referance to where you guys set up? was it near you, in a tree, under a rock/pile of leaves.....

I placed the decoy and caller about 40 or 50 yards out in front of me next to each other.

I just remembered what you said about the hide. I guess I need to start tanning again, so I can help all my TGO friends out.

Heck yeah!

On the phone picture to internet problem.....have you tried photobucket.com? It works for me and I don't have internet on my phone. Take picture....send it to free account and then off to my computer or onto forums like this.

Nice job! Cool that you took some newbs out! Good for you!

I forgot I could send it to my email address even though I dind't have internet on my phone.

Congratulations 101. That's a good looking coyote. Looks like he had a good coat of fur, like WD-40s. Did you order your Mo Jo Critter, or buy it locally at some place like Dick's or Bass Pro? Did you anchor your call some way, so he couldn't grab it up and run off with it? I've heard of that happening!

"To anger a Conservative, lie to him. To anger a Liberal, tell him the truth." Theodore Roosevelt

I got it off of ebay. I didn't anchor my call. If he grabbed it then he would have had more than one hole in him LOL!

Nice job.

Thanks!

Guest BEARMAN

Hey Shaun, how do you do your tail mounts? Do you de-bone it, then add salt / borax to the raw end, or do you leave the cartilage in the tail and salt it?

Coyote and Fox tails do make beautiful mounts/conversation pieces.

BTW...great shootin' my friend!

Bearman

Hey Shaun, how do you do your tail mounts? Do you de-bone it, then add salt / borax to the raw end, or do you leave the cartilage in the tail and salt it?

Coyote and Fox tails do make beautiful mounts/conversation pieces.

BTW...great shootin' my friend!

Bearman

Yes I de-bone then I usually just wash it and cure it while it's inside out. Get with wd he could tell you how to do it better.

Guest BEARMAN
Yes I de-bone then I usually just wash it and cure it while it's inside out. Get with wd he could tell you how to do it better.
Just for a tail, you can leave bone in or take it out. If I'm tanning the whole hide, I usually split the tail full length, so it can be soften with the rest of the hide.

Thanks Shaun and WD, for the tanning tips. Now I just gotta get out and get me a coyote! :screwy:

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Hunting 101, I picked up one of those MOJO Critters at Dick's, here in Murfreesboro last night. Haven't had a chance to "field test" it yet, but hope to soon. I put the 4 AA batteries in in and "home tested" it. It looks good! I like the starting and stopping it does... makes it look realistic. You asked about the "remote" possibilities. They have a remote conversion on their web site now. Go to MOJO Outdoorsâ„¢ | MOJO Properties | MOJO Outdoors TV | MOJO Replacement Parts for the latest and greatest.

Hey Hunting 101, I picked up one of those MOJO Critters at Dick's, here in Murfreesboro last night. Haven't had a chance to "field test" it yet, but hope to soon. I put the 4 AA batteries in in and "home tested" it. It looks good! I like the starting and stopping it does... makes it look realistic. You asked about the "remote" possibilities. They have a remote conversion on their web site now. Go to MOJO Outdoorsâ„¢ | MOJO Properties | MOJO Outdoors TV | MOJO Replacement Parts for the latest and greatest.

Thanks I will check it out.

Way to go :koolaid: I have so many of them yotes on my place and am sick of them killing deer and I'm sorry for the loss of livestock. This year I rarely looked at the pics on my game cameras without seeing a yote or two or three. I keep telling myself to " Get out there and hunt them", but I seldom do and only got a few last year.

Great story with pic, and congratulations! :D

Oh....and I like your hunting rifle, similar to what I like to use.

Edited by huntingman