Powered Case Trimmers

I am planning on getting a powered case trimmer. All trimmers are quite pricey, so I want to choose wisely. I'm awaiting my refund check and I have plenty of time to decide.

- Hornady: Midsouth HORNADY RELOADING TOOLS LNL CASE PREP CENTER 110 VOLT

The Hornady is my top choice, but that price is tough to swallow. I do like how the trimmer and other prep tools are co-located and easily accessible.

- RCBS: RCBS Trim Pro Power Case Trimmer Kit 110 Volt - MidwayUSA

- Lyman: RCBS Trim Pro Power Case Trimmer Kit 110 Volt - MidwayUSA

Does anyone have one of these trimmers? What are the pro/cons?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used the RCBS for years and years, it has been a very good and reliable setup.

Some complaints have been made that it doesn't get the case mouth perfectly square etc. I've never had that issue with it, I've loaded .308 .243. 223, for varmint type rifles, thousands of rounds and I trim to min every time I run these case thru

the process. Also forget the storing the accessories on trimmer, they will get covered in brass shavings. One of the great things I like about the RCBS is you can get, I have and use them, 3-way case trimmer heads. They trim, chamfer and deburr all in

on step and work nicely. I would recomend this trimmer, it has been a good one for me, any question feel free to ask.

Of course when I bought mine (get the powered option) I payed less than half midways price for it, but that was 15 or

more years ago, oh and it still works by the way.

Edited by Hgunner

Hgunner, you are close by. Any chance I can test-drive using your trimmer?

Since this is a large investment, I want to get plenty of input and possible hands-on testing prior to buying mine. I have hundreds of cases just waiting to be trimmed, but I'm not going through the painful ordeal of hand trimming again. I tried to talk my son into doing it, but he quit only after a few cases.

I had a Lyman hand trimmer before and the locking mechanism failed, so I returned it to Midway. That was about a year ago. Now I need to find a solution to catch up with all my cases that are stacking up.

ukerduker might be arranged if your not in a awful hurry.

I went through the whole get a gracy, get a this,get a that 15- 20 years ago.

Not going to debate if Gracy is the best or not or this is the best or not.

All I can say is my RCBS has performed very well and helped produce very accurate

and consistant rifle ammo.

Oh and on a side note, I originally bought my case trimmer as a hand cranked unit

so I know what that is like. Which is why I purchased and added the power unit.

Case trimming still sucks, its still slow and boring, but atleast your hand and wrist

don't hurt.

i have no way to put apicture on here sorry not very computer smart

but you put a trim die in presshave a drill press monted so that when the press is at the top it trims chamfords and deburrs all at once copied this from an old picture from a magzine from the 30s very fast did a 100 300 wby in about 15 min

I chuck the Lee cutter and trimmer pilot in a drill press and just hold the shell holder in my hand. It is easier to do the cases this way. I am going to try to make a quick case holder out of a older Lee hand primer so I can just stick in the case, hold it with my thumb and hit the trimmer.