Where to shoot rifles in memphis?

Guest Dean Wormer

Guest Dean Wormer

Soo, ive looked all over the gun range sub-forum, and used my google-fu, but it seems, with the exception of the Memphis Sport Shooters Assoc (MSSA)., all gun ranges in/near Shelby county are handgun/rimfire only. I miss blasting with my mosins. I have read of a Shelby County Rifle Range but am unable to find information on it.

Anyone, there are a ton of rural areas around here, would seeem somewhere would have a outdoor rifle range.

The aformented MSSA is a bit too expensive for my blood.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 270win

I have only lived outside Memphis for a short time after moving from Arkansas. I heard that the public range at Shelby Farms on Walnut Grove closed about five years ago. I drove up to it once looking for a range and saw the closed signs myself.

I went as a guest the three times with in laws to Memphis Sports Shooting Assoc. and then joined. It is about your only option in this area, unless you know someone with enough land to shoot on. You will pay a $400 initiation fee, $240 yearly fee (prorated for May at $20 a month depending on when you join), and I believe another roughly $30 for a background check. You also need to know someone at the club as a reference.

I have honestly never been to a nicer outdoor range. There's enough there that you will never ever be bored and it will make you want to buy more guns to use on the many different ranges/courses. Skeet, trap, sporting clays, archery/crossbow, long range rifle, action pistol, cowboy shooting....it is a lot of fun. I have yet to try everything there. I live about ten minutes from the range and get my money's worth and then some. I shoot mostly 22's or I will go broke as often as I go!

If you want to get into the many different competitions, there are a lot of friendly people ready to help get you into whatever interests you. I'm trying to practice more so I don't embarrass myself when qualifying on IDPA with my Glock 19.

Arlington High School's trap team uses MSSA in the afternoons and they have quite a group of shooters..I wish I could shoot a shotgun like they do. You'll have a great time, meet some nice folks, and often people let you try their guns.

Edited by 270win
Guest FroggyOne2
Shelby County range is closed to civilians. MSSA is it unless you know someone with private land.

It would be worth your effort for you to join this club... the Memphis Shooting Sports Association is an outstanding facility. With a 600 yard rifle range, multi shotgun range, pond fishing, action pistol bays, plinking range, and a benchrest range.

http://www.memphis-ssa.com/

Guest Dean Wormer

Thanks for the advice/options so far... so no ranges exist over the river or in MS either??

I would join the MSSA but the fees are kinda steep considering that I may not be in Memphis all that long (1-4 years, depending on many factors)

I'll have to ask around to get a name, but I believe there is a range in or around Olive Branch that you can shoot rifles. There's on in Byhalia, but the listing says its private.

Byhalia - Rabbit Ridge - Mississippi River Rangers, P.O. Box 942, Byhalia, MS