Range Report ... first 100 rounds through the Wilson Professional

TGO David

• Administrator

Cliffs Notes: Buy one. Sell a kidney, liquidate your savings, trade off a car, conscript your children into slavery... just do it somehow.

Holy cow this is a shooter's gun! Yes, it is possible to be just as accurate with a Kimber but none of my Kimbers had the same solidity in my hand that the Wilson does. I'm not knocking Kimber at all. I loved my CDP. But this is just something else. It's on another level and that's not just marketing hype. There really is a lot to be said about a 1911 that is assembled by hand, fitted by hand, and has had someone's heart and passion put into it on the gunsmith bench.

My first round was the harbinger of things to come. I ran the target out to 14 yds, lined up the dots and watched as a .45 caliber hole magically appeared in the dead center of the B12 target's red spot.

I exhaled, drew in another breath, lined up the sight and caressed the trigger. The hole grew slightly more jagged and about half again it's own diameter. I could feel my grin spreading.

The only "flyer" that I encountered was me over-anticipating the recoil. It only went 2-inches to the left and low. Still more than close enough to do the job in a fight.

The next 50 rounds cut a jagged fist-sized hole through the center of the target. By the time I was done, there wasn't much left of the red zone. I had managed to obliterate it and a good portion of the 10-ring between the 7 and 8 o'clock positions.

The rest of my 100 round box of ammo was spent on two more targets, playing with head shots, COM shots and double-taps. The gun ran like a finely tuned machine. But hey... surprise! It is one!

I want another Wilson now. No... I need another one now. One isn't enough. The bobtail will undoubtedly get lonely and long for another 1911 to talk to. I need a Government length CQB. Joe's going to own me by the time I get this itch scratched.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Verbal Kint

Yeah... rub it in. Mine is still several weeks away from being done and in my hands.

I'm going to have my cat **** in your Xmas gift, before I send it to you. :)

• Administrator

The only thing better than shooting a quality, hand built 1911 has to be shooting a quality, hand built 1911 while simultaneously having sex, sipping a single malt whiskey, and smoking a hand rolled Cuban cigar. That's the only way it could possibly get any better or any more testosterone infused.

I wonder if the RSOs at Stones River would complain about that. :)

Buy one. Sell a kidney, liquidate your savings, trade off a car, conscript your children into slavery... just do it somehow.

So,,, do you like it? :rofl:

I like 1911s, although I'm not one of those people who think it is the only handgun worth having. But 1911s fall into two categories for me. One is a working gun for killing commies coming over the berm. The second purpose is as a wonderful toy.

For the first category, most any decent 1911 will do.

For the second, while I like Kimber and certainly am not putting them down, the fact is they are just not a Wilson Combat or other truly custom, hand tuned, 1911.

It's sort of like dating two women. Both are fun to be with and give you pleasure. But one is very beautiful and the other is just exquisite. Very beautiful is plenty good enough - until you date the exquisite one. Then that is where you standard lies (and hopefully where it lays :D).

Guest canynracer

I exhaled, drew in another breath, lined up the sight and caressed the trigger. The hole grew slightly more jagged and about half again it's own diameter. I could feel my grin spreading.

sheesh dude, sounds like your wrinting to penthouse forums :rofl:

Congrats man!!!!

• Administrator
=

I like 1911s, although I'm not one of those people who think it is the only handgun worth having. But 1911s fall into two categories for me. One is a working gun for killing commies coming over the berm. The second purpose is as a wonderful toy.

I have no faults with the 9x19 or the .40SW and enjoy shooting them both. But since most civilian personal defense situations happen within 7yds, the big ole heavy and slow .45ACP really lights my fire. I don't think I'll see too many Commies coming over the berm here in Nashville but God forbid that I might have to halt a crack head or gang banger one of these days. I bet it would do the job if that ever happened.

Probably just as well as it would drop a Commie. :rofl:

Guest Steelharp

Glad it works for you, and you like it. I had one of their KZ models for a short time; worst jam-o-matic piece of crap I ever shot. Never more glad to get rid of a 1911 in my life.

• Administrator
Glad it works for you, and you like it. I had one of their KZ models for a short time; worst jam-o-matic piece of crap I ever shot. Never more glad to get rid of a 1911 in my life.

The KZ was one of those answers to a question that no one had really asked. I had the chance to hold one of them at a gun show once and scratched my head, trying to figure out why you would want a polymer framed 1911.

In all fairness, you can't really compare those to the traditional Wilson 1911s. Two totally different animals. I like to think of the KZ as being what happened when one of Bill Wilson's 1911s somehow got out of the shop one night, ventured to the wrong part of town, scored some action with a loose Glock 17 and 9 months later got a knock on the door. :rofl:

Cliffs Notes: Buy one. Sell a kidney, liquidate your savings, trade off a car, conscript your children into slavery... just do it somehow.

Holy cow this is a shooter's gun! Yes, it is possible to be just as accurate with a Kimber but none of my Kimbers had the same solidity in my hand that the Wilson does. I'm not knocking Kimber at all. I loved my CDP. But this is just something else. It's on another level and that's not just marketing hype. There really is a lot to be said about a 1911 that is assembled by hand, fitted by hand, and has had someone's heart and passion put into it on the gunsmith bench.

My first round was the harbinger of things to come. I ran the target out to 14 yds, lined up the dots and watched as a .45 caliber hole magically appeared in the dead center of the B12 target's red spot.

The only "flyer" that I encountered was me over-anticipating the recoil. It only went 2-inches to the left and low. Still more than close enough to do the job in a fight.

The next 50 rounds cut a jagged fist-sized hole through the center of the target. By the time I was done, there wasn't much left of the red zone. I had managed to obliterate it and a good portion of the 10-ring between the 7 and 8 o'clock positions.

The rest of my 100 round box of ammo was spent on two more targets, playing with head shots, COM shots and double-taps. The gun ran like a finely tuned machine. But hey... surprise! It is one!

I want another Wilson now. No... I need another one now. One isn't enough. The bobtail will undoubtedly get lonely and long for another 1911 to talk to. I need a Government length CQB. Joe's going to own me by the time I get this itch scratched.

:lol::blah::eek::D:puke::rofl::ignore::lies: Whatever.

Ok, I'm just jealous:D, Very nice!

I have no faults with the 9x19 or the .40SW and enjoy shooting them both. But since most civilian personal defense situations happen within 7yds, the big ole heavy and slow .45ACP really lights my fire. I don't think I'll see too many Commies coming over the berm here in Nashville but God forbid that I might have to halt a crack head or gang banger one of these days. I bet it would do the job if that ever happened.

I certainly agree. I was talking to Mark@Sea over at his place the other day about this. The old slow 45 round can do wonders in personal protection use. I think he likes 1911s too. :rofl:

I prefer something with DA/SA capabilities and so go with the plastic fantastic USP40 for urban use, but a 45 ACP will work too for up-close-and-personal.

The KZ-45 was supposed to be a carry Wilson. 10+1 rounds in a slim, lightweight, Stainless Steel and Kevlar Re-Enforced Polymer. I actually like the looks of it. And it felt very good in the hand. I shot one several times. The jamming problems disappeared once you got it broken in. Wilson specified certain ammunition for it and told you not to even contact them until you got 500 rounds through it for break in. But it doesn't have the Wilson mystique and will probably never be very popular.

If I wanted a 1911 for a carry gun, it is probably the one I'd choose.

02.jpg

Guest Michael 1911A1

Tungsten...a few. I thought more about the post and changed it. Gladly tell you, just preferred not posting the info.

Regards,

Michael

• Administrator
Tungsten...a few. I thought more about the post and changed it. Gladly tell you, just preferred not posting the info.

Regards,

Michael

I understand. Feel free to drop me a PM if you want. I'd love to see any pictures you might have of your Wilsons. :blush:

I think the next one I get will have to be a CQB gov't length.