New brand of 9mm at WalMart?

So I stopped by Wally World in Bartlett this morning to see what kind of ammo they had in stock and I see a brand of 9mm in the case that doesn't look familiar. I had a $16.96 (per 50) price tag, so I wasn't too interested, but I wanted to know what it was. I asked the young man working in the sporting goods section to see a box of it and he told me he didn't have the keys to the case (it was about 6:30 this morning and they don't start selling ammo until 7:00). I asked him what brand it was and he told me he didn't know, but it was some kind of "Swiss military 124 or 125 grain FMJ stuff". I didn't insist on going around the counter to peer into the case and he wasn't making the effort to bend down and look either. It was sorta burnt orange in color on the end. Anyone have any idea what brand this was? At the price they had it, I don't forsee myself rushing back up there to find someone with keys to the case.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was it Fiocchi 123 gr?

IIRC, the Fiocchi is in a maroon box with "FIOCCHI" printed fairly large on the end. Unless they changed their packaging, it wasn't Fiocchi. Whatever it was, it as more of a burnt orange than maroon and I couldn't read anything on the end of the box from ~5 feet away other than "9mm". Looked like the center 2/3 of the box may have been a darker color than the ends. Really hard to tell with it in the unlit ammo case.

Total coincidence, but I just found this on the Fiocchi website.

Fiocchi Ammunition and RWS Ammunition have recently joined forces to offer more than 230 years of combined industry experience, as Fiocchi will be now distributing the RWS line of rifle centerfire ammo to the US market. Fiocchi has selected five of RWS's top hunting calibers and bullets to take down big game, to round out Fiocchi's own renowned line of rimfire, pistol and shot shell loads. In addition to the five different bullet types and 10 different calibers available, RWS will be offered in several different grain choices. RWS has a well-deserved reputation for exellence in developing the industry's top-of-the-line rifle ammunition and together, the two companies produce a synergy that provides the perfect combination of choices for the most discriminating hunting/shooting sport enthusiasts.

Here's the best pic I could find of RWS 9mm, if you wanted a closer look. Google (and then following the link to Gunbroker to find someone selling RWS ammo) is your friend. :dirty:

Googling "9mm orange box" got me nowhere (barely got me results related to ammunition). Now that I know the brand, yes google is very helpful :P

Tripledigitride, that is a pretty wild coincidence. At least we know who is making the ammo. But at the price, I don't think I'll be loading up on any. Hoping they get in another shipment of the $8.96 Blazer Brass. So far I've had no problems with Blazer Brass at all.

Guest yogi01
Here's the best pic I could find of RWS 9mm, if you wanted a closer look. Google (and then following the link to Gunbroker to find someone selling RWS ammo) is your friend. :dirty:

pix107036015.jpg

That is the stuff, they had some at the Lexington Wal mart when I asked about the price I was told it was 16.97 a box. That is pricey for 9mm since I bought Federal .45 cal at the same price per box at Wal Mart. They guy that priced it for me did not work in that dept. but they were real busy and he was helping out. He did not scan it he just looked at the shelf sticker, I thought he was wrong but I have not been back over there to check it again.

Guest Bronker

I shot 300 flawless rounds of the RWS yesterday. No problems. Seems to be just fine for plinking. Plus it's 124gr so it's similar weight to my PD rounds. I liked it enough that I'm standing in the Dickson Walmart right now and two minutes ago just bought 300 more.

SFSG.

Guest abailey362

i don't think they are selling the blazer anymore. it's the federal redish box and I think it's up to like 12 something for 9mm IIRC, but i don't own a 9mm so i haven't bought any...i know the 40 is up around 15-16 per box.

The price tags remain less than $9 at the Bartlett WalMart for Blazer Brass and Federal, but I haven't seen any on the shelf in a while. Price may rise with the next shipment they receive.

I'm just glad I'm off midnights. I used to go by there in the wee hours to see what they had. They will not (or cannot maybe) sell ammo between 11pm and 7am. It seemed kinda silly. Police officer, in uniform, carrying gun & ammo - couldn't buy any. Never failed - when they had something GOOD in stock, that late call would come in around 6:55 and I'd get back in time to see an empty spot. Drove me insane.

When I was stationed in Germany, I lived around the corner from RWS HQ in Furth/Nurnberg. Their ammo was first rate. Their .22 and hunting ammo was the best at the time. I have never seen RWS for sale in the states. The R50 Gold .22 used to be the

s***t, better than Eley.

Edited by R1100R

It's $16.95 per 50, for wallymart fmj that's too much... But since they'll still probably sell out of it just hope this doesn't mean they are not going to still have the federal or wwb at $10-12 per 50, that would suck.

Guest bkelm18
They will not (or cannot maybe) sell ammo between 11pm and 7am.

I believe that's some sort of corporate policy. A dumb one at that.

I'm inclined to believe their cash register system may not even allow it to be scanned until 7am. I made pretty good friends with the sporting goods manager (good enough that she'd hide ammo away for me if I called and she had something good), but she'd still stand there talking to me until 7am, then ring up the ammo.

Guest Bronker
Bronker, is it $17/box in Dickson? I'm sure it's fine ammo, but I just can't bring myself to spend that much.

It is. The catch is...I needed the ammo for the CIS class next weekend. The $9 ammo that nobody has been able to find for two years, is not going to do me much good. The $16 ammo sitting there available was good enough.