What would you do?

Guest Hyaloid

Guest Hyaloid

Ok, so here's the situation. How many here would think that a shooting is justifiable.

A landscaper arrives to a property earlier than expected. Once he exits his vehicle to begin work on the yard that he was contracted to do, he is confronted with the homeowner's pet, full grown German Sheppard. The homeowner (a female) happens to be standing in close proximity to the landscaper as the dog approaches him.

The landscaper happens to be someone who is deathly afraid of dogs. As this large breed dog approaches, he positions himself behind the homeowner, and grabs her arms from behind.

The dog then attacks the landscaper, causing enough injury to need 3 hours of surgery. The landscaper is not charged with anything by the responding police. The homeowner is only successful in calling off the dog after the attack caused serious bodily damage to the landscaper.

Ok.

Now, let's say we as HCP holders are home, and hear the commotion outside. We run outside and see the dog latched onto the landscaper, the landscaper clinging to your wife/significant other, and your wife /s.o. is actively trying to call the dog off.

How many think shooting something is justified?

How many shoot the landscaper?

How many shoot the dog?

How many shoot the wife, just for good measure?

If you don't shoot... what variables would likely end in you drawing your weapon and shooting? Is the mere act of someone placing their hands on your wife justification for shooting?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Verbal Kint

How many think shooting something is justified?

No. However, I would kick the **** out of the guy if need be -- had he not already let go of my wife. Then I would restrain the dog, once the wife was distanced from the skirmish. Having run out of the house, not knowing what the situation is, I'd probably assume my wife was being attacked and the dog was performing it's duty.

How many shoot the landscaper? No.

How many shoot the dog? No.

How many shoot the wife, just for good measure? Tempting to use this as a justified incident... but No. lol :up:

If you don't shoot... what variables would likely end in you drawing your weapon and shooting? Is the mere act of someone placing their hands on your wife justification for shooting?

Unless the guy has a weapon and is inflicting, or has the potential to inflict serious harm or death to myself or wife, I would not draw my firearm. Kicking the **** out of him is likely alternative.

Why didn't the landscaper ask if the homeowner has a dog before showing up if he is so deathly afraid of them?

If he did and knows that the homeowner does, why did he show up early without notifing the homeowners and asking them to restrain the dog?

:up:

Guest bkelm18

Wait and assess the situation. If the dog is already latched onto the guy (assuming it's your dog), he isn't really posing a serious threat at the moment, so shooting him really wouldn't be my priority. If it weren't my dog and I'd never seen it before, I'd shoot it. I would assume the landscaper is innocent and is being mauled by a wild dog. But really, I think there are really too many variables in this situation for a definitive shoot/no shoot answer. I'd just have to be there at the moment to know what actions needed to be taken.

Why didn't the landscaper ask if the homeowner has a dog before showing up if he is so deathly afraid of them?

If he did and knows that the homeowner does, why did he show up early without notifing the homeowners and asking them to restrain the dog?

IIRC, this actually happened recently and the landscaper was an illegal immigrant or something. So he probably hablas no Englais or something... haha.

Guest Verbal Kint

Very valid points. I actually meant to raise those issues in the other thread, but forgot to list them when I was typing my novel.

Given the situation I wouldn't even draw my weapon. Without more information I don't think it's smart to go into any situation guns-a-blazin'. When I took my carry permit course the instructor told of a well meaning armed citizen that shot two undercover FBI agents in the back as they exchanged fire with a well dressed criminal. That story has really stuck with me as a reminder that things aren't always what they seem, and I'm not gonna shoot anyone unless I know exactly what's going on.

Hard to say on this situation. If it was my dog, the dog could be protecting my wife from what the dog sees as a threat by the landscaper getting to close to the wife. I would try to just grab the dog to keep him off the landscaper. If the dog was very out of control, then there are ways to stop an out of control dog that most would hate to do to a pet. You're also in a dicey situation if you wanted to use a firearm on the dog if he is very close to the landscaper. You better be VERY SURE where you are shooting if you decide to stop the dog with a firearm and not hit the landscaper.

I always learned as a child that once you fire a shot, you can't take any mistake back. Be sure of your target and where that shot will go if you decide to fire.

Guest canynracer
Ok, so here's the situation. How many here would think that a shooting is justifiable.

A landscaper arrives to a property earlier than expected. Once he exits his vehicle to begin work on the yard that he was contracted to do, he is confronted with the homeowner's pet, full grown German Sheppard. The homeowner (a female) happens to be standing in close proximity to the landscaper as the dog approaches him. - Why didnt she restrain the dog when the landscaper pulled up? if she was outside, in close proximity, she would have saw him, and restrained the dog.

The landscaper happens to be someone who is deathly afraid of dogs. As this large breed dog approaches, he positions himself behind the homeowner, and grabs her arms from behind. - Bad move, the dog will protect the owner

The dog then attacks the landscaper, causing enough injury to need 3 hours of surgery. The landscaper is not charged with anything by the responding police. The homeowner is only successful in calling off the dog after the attack caused serious bodily damage to the landscaper. -No laws were broken, and the dog did his job, so I guess I need a new landscaper...

Ok.

Now, let's say we as HCP holders are home, and hear the commotion outside. We run outside and see the dog latched onto the landscaper, the landscaper clinging to your wife/significant other, and your wife /s.o. is actively trying to call the dog off. - This is key, if he was an attacker, she would NOT call the dog off.

How many think shooting something is justified? - Not in this situation

How many shoot the landscaper? - No

How many shoot the dog? - maybe, if the dog did not submit to the release commands

How many shoot the wife, just for good measure? It really IS her fault here, she should have restrained the dog when she initially saw the landscaper, but she shouldn't get shot for it...lol

If you don't shoot... what variables would likely end in you drawing your weapon and shooting? - The dog not submitting

Is the mere act of someone placing their hands on your wife justification for shooting? - Not necessarily

Answers in Red in quote..

Canyon I like the way you did that.

Now this "type" of dog is very good at protecting it's owners (and unknown small children) But if the homeowner had taken "possession" as in grabbing the dogs collar it would have probably stopped it's attack. For me no one gets shot, get a new landscaper that is not afraid of dogs (they CAN smell it). and have the dog checked to be sure he didn't contract something from the landscaper.