Ruger P95 vs. Stoeger Cougar 9mm

josh99ta

Apologizes Bearman, I must have confused posts because the person I thought I was replying to there had a few Glocks listed in their signature. The P95 is definitely a blocky pistol, no argument there. I just thought the person telling me that was complaining about it, and thought they were a Glock-shooter, which is even more blocky than the Ruger to my hand. Sorry for the confusion.

The P95 vs. Cougar debate is a moot point now. Bought a Ruger P95 with stainless slide yesterday. :P

Also picked up a Hogue grip since it's a polymer gun and I've heard reports of the grip getting slick. Since it's not going to be a CCW weapon I keep on my person I didn't care about the slight extra bulk, and it makes the gun feel perfect in hand (even more perfect than it already felt). Shot 50 rounds yesterday too. I've heard of Ruger's having failure to feed issues if they're not cleaned before being shot because of the grease and oil from the factory. I didn't clean mine before shooting and sure enough I had a few FTFs. I was shooting cheap ammo, Blazer Luger 9mm target junk, but I don't think that had anything to do with it other than the gun wasn't cleaned before being shot. The FTFs were my technique I think (gotta keep those wrists firm and that gun down). Once I got my technique corrected it was rocking and rolling. :D

I'm a shotgun shooter, never been terribly accurate with a pistol, but I was shooting every so slightly left and up of where I was aiming, but very consistent, tight 3" patterns at 10, 15, and 20 yards. Not bad for a cheap gun and a rookie handgun guy. The gun fits my eye very well and shoots great. I'm only left and up a little because of my own technique, not the gun. Shot a Sig P220 also. I had just as tight of patterns with the Ruger as I did with the Sig. Not bad for a gun that was less than half the price of the Sig. Overall I couldn't be happier with my first handgun purchase. :rolleyes:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Way to go there Josh, now you will be hooked before you know it. Now we need to see it, lol. I have the Hogue grip on him also. Reading all of this makes me want to out in the backyard put a couple mags through mine.

And you said something about a revolver latter, well if you like single action ones. Ruger makes a Blackhawk convertible in a .357 with a 9mm cylinder.

Edited by Sidinman
adding revolver comment
Guest BEARMAN
Apologizes Bearman, I must have confused posts because the person I thought I was replying to there had a few Glocks listed in their signature. The P95 is definitely a blocky pistol, no argument there. I just thought the person telling me that was complaining about it, and thought they were a Glock-shooter, which is even more blocky than the Ruger to my hand. Sorry for the confusion.

The P95 vs. Cougar debate is a moot point now. Bought a Ruger P95 with stainless slide yesterday. :D

Also picked up a Hogue grip since it's a polymer gun and I've heard reports of the grip getting slick. Since it's not going to be a CCW weapon I keep on my person I didn't care about the slight extra bulk, and it makes the gun feel perfect in hand (even more perfect than it already felt). Shot 50 rounds yesterday too. I've heard of Ruger's having failure to feed issues if they're not cleaned before being shot because of the grease and oil from the factory. I didn't clean mine before shooting and sure enough I had a few FTFs. I was shooting cheap ammo, Blazer Luger 9mm target junk, but I don't think that had anything to do with it other than the gun wasn't cleaned before being shot. The FTFs were my technique I think (gotta keep those wrists firm and that gun down). Once I got my technique corrected it was rocking and rolling. :D

I'm a shotgun shooter, never been terribly accurate with a pistol, but I was shooting every so slightly left and up of where I was aiming, but very consistent, tight 3" patterns at 10, 15, and 20 yards. Not bad for a cheap gun and a rookie handgun guy. The gun fits my eye very well and shoots great. I'm only left and up a little because of my own technique, not the gun. Shot a Sig P220 also. I had just as tight of patterns with the Ruger as I did with the Sig. Not bad for a gun that was less than half the price of the Sig. Overall I couldn't be happier with my first handgun purchase. :P

No apologies necessary, Josh....because, s:poop:t happens! :D

You'll love that Ruger, brother, just give her a good breaking in, and as with any firearm, keep it clean, and lubricated.

As for the limp wristing, I would use a two hand hold, till you get thoroughly comfortable with it, and then later on shoot with a one hand hold, just be cognizant to keep that wrist locked up good, and you'll be shooting one, big ragged hole with that Ruger in no time, my friend!

Now, Josh ol' buddy...we require frequent range reports with pic's, round here!!! :rolleyes:

I'll get on the pictures ASAP guys. I am a photographer on the side so hopefully I can get some good shots soon.

I was using a two handed grip, but I golf so I'm used to not gripping too tight and keeping everything loose. Obviously with shotguns you don't really have to grip it, just hold it firmly.

Any input on what to use to clean/lubricate it, or is it all pretty much the same?

I'm loving this gun so far. I can't keep my hands off of it. I think the wife is jealous. LOL Totally different shooting a pistol when it's your own gun. I enjoy it a lot more than I have shooting pistols in the past.

Hoppes solvent to clean and Hoppes oil to lube. Its cheap at Walmart and does a fine job. Congrats on the Ruger. Just noticed your Ruger is stainless steel, so you may want to pick up some Flitz stainless steel pollish.(sp?)

Edited by Shima

Congrats on the Ruger!!! I use Break-Free CLP, it is a cleaner and lubricant all in one. The military uses it and it gets very good reviews online. Some cleaners can mar the polymer so read your owners manual and the cleaning bottle to make sure it is safe to use on polymer.