Ruger P95 vs. Stoeger Cougar 9mm

josh99ta

I hate to be the newbie making the "This vs. That" thread but it's decision time on buying my first handgun and I'm hoping for a little first hand experience from some more knowledgeable people. I did a lot of running around today checking out a lot of different guns.

I found out I really don't like compacts too much, and I hate subcompacts. To my hand I like a full framed gun, probably because that's what I've always shot if I shot a handgun. The absolute top two guns I checked out today for my hands and my eye were the Ruger P95 and the Stoeger Cougar. I actually ran across the Stoeger at my last stop as most places didn't have it in stock.

I thought the Ruger P95 felt better than any of the Glock, S&W, Springfield Armory, and Taurus guns I held by a considerable margin. Luckily I ran across the Stoeger because it was a dream to handle. It felt every bit as good as my buddy's Sig Sauer P220 and for half the price. So now I'm down to the Ruger P95 or the Stoeger Cougar 9. I want the most reliable gun possible.

Primary uses are for a glove box/nightstand gun that I can also have fun with at the range. CCW isn't high on the list right now, down the road I'll probably get a compact or subcompact just to cover that base, but for now I want a gun that feels good to me. To me the Stoeger felt better in hand, felt like a more high quality gun. The Ruger's sights did line up better to my eye though by a little bit. Price wise the Ruger is about $70 less, and since the sights fit my eye better and the P95 has a reputation for extreme reliability I tend to lean towards it, but I do really like the feel of the Stoeger.

What do you guys think?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Stoeger is a Beretta clone, and considered very high quality. The Ruger P95 is a solid dependable gun. As you say, the Ruger is less expensive, and resale value will be higher with the Stoeger. The Stoeger may shoot a little straighter. Take down and re-assembly will be a bit odd with the Stoeger, because it features a rotating barrel.

Personally, I think you should buy the Ruger and use the left over $70 for ammo.

The Stoeger is a Beretta clone, and considered very high quality. The Ruger P95 is a solid dependable gun. As you say, the Ruger is less expensive, and resale value will be higher with the Stoeger. The Stoeger may shoot a little straighter. Take down and re-assembly will be a bit odd with the Stoeger, because it features a rotating barrel.

Personally, I think you should buy the Ruger and use the left over $70 for ammo.

That's what I lean towards simply because the Ruger fits my eye better. In my experience that's a pretty important feature. LOL The Stoeger felt better balanced, on par with the three-times-more-expensive Sig Sauer P220, but the Ruger didn't have a loaded clip in it either which would balance it out some. Breakdown/re-assembly is important too as it's my first handgun, I would like to keep things simple. Still though that Stoeger just felt so good to handle.

Guest bbtie72

See if you can get some range time with both. I owned a Beretta 8040 Cougar, it was one of the best guns I ever owned. I sold it during some tough times about 10 years ago and that was one of the worst mistakes I ever made. They really aren't that difficult to take down. I have looked at the Stoger they are actually owned by Beretta and are made in Turkey I think. Both would be good choices on a budget for first gun.

I have a Ruger P95DC with about 400ish flawless rounds through her. It is my nightstand weapon. Never held the cougar, but if it is owned by Beretta it too will be a nice handgun. I don't think either would be a bad choice, but like mousegunner said if you ever want to or lord forbid need to sell it, it might bring a little more.

Guest BEARMAN

Both are very nice handguns in my opinion, I have owned both, but, I tend to lean towards the Stoeger Cougar...very smooth shooter, and not quite as blocky as the Ruger.

Either one will serve your needs well, though. :D

Both are very reliable and well made. Most reviewers will probably rate the Stoeger better but the US Army did purchase 5000 Ruger P95 for use in Iraq by drivers.

The Stoeger may have less recoil as I believe it weighs more (aluminum frame) and it has a rotating barrel, which is reported to lessen recoil. It may also be a little smaller than the Ruger. The Beretta Px4 Storm replaced the Beretta Cougar (now the Stoeger) the Px4 sells for about $519 at Academy Sports before taxes. It is very similar to the Stoeger but has a polymer frame and inter-changeable back staps to adjust the fit to your hand size. Stoeger is owned by Beretta and uses the same machines as Beretta did to make the Cougar. If you get the Stoeger the Beretta website recently had the magazines on sale for a good price.

The Ruger has a polymer frame. The Ruger will depreciate the most and quickly. Some people find the Ruger grip to be to blocky and have some complaint about the trigger. If you are patient you should be able to pick one up used for $280 or less, after negotiating. Used Stoegers are rare but they do turn up. The Ruger magazines are expensive, about $35 and the only other magazine brand that reportedly functions well with the Ruger is Mec-Gar about $28. Mec-Gar is reported to make the best after market magazines. Many people will tell you to only buy Mec-Gar or original gun manufactured magazines or you are buying trouble.

Again, both are well made guns and will give you a lifetime of service. If you can try to shoot them both at a range that rents them. Between the two go with with the one you keeping going back to.

One more thought on the Stoeger. If it is a little smaller you may find it is OK for winter carry under a coat, which is not a bad way to start getting comfortable carrying. That is how I started carrying with a paddle holster. These are comfortable, inexpensive, and you can slip it on and off easy in the car. You may want to check on paddle holster availability for the Stoeger since these may not be as popular as the Ruger.

See if you can get some range time with both.

It's hard enough to find a place that has Stoegers around here much less find one to actually shoot. I doubt I'll be able to shoot it before purchase. I can probably locate a Ruger to shoot. It would be a good way to either seal the deal for the Ruger or turn me away from it towards the Stoeger.

I have a Ruger P95DC with about 400ish flawless rounds through her. It is my nightstand weapon. Never held the cougar, but if it is owned by Beretta it too will be a nice handgun. I don't think either would be a bad choice, but like mousegunner said if you ever want to or lord forbid need to sell it, it might bring a little more.

Not really worried about resale. I pretty much plan to buy quality firearms that I'll keep for a long, long time. Something you can never really have enough of IMO.

I tend to lean towards the Stoeger Cougar...very smooth shooter, and not quite as blocky as the Ruger.

You shoot Glocks and think the Ruger is blocky? I do not like the ergonomics of Glocks. They just don't feel right in my hand. The Ruger is on a bigger frame with a bigger grip, but actually fits my hand well. I find it odd that you'd commend the Stoeger for being not as blocky yet own Glocks. Could you be a little more specific as to why you'd prefer the Stoeger? Both feel great in my hands, albeit different.

Some people find the Ruger grip to be to blocky and have some complaint about the trigger.

I find the grip to be just right to get a good grip on the gun. The trigger complaints I haven't heard though. I've actually heard the trigger on the Ruger is very nice, but that's just from internet research and a lot of forum opinions. Care to elaborate what complaints people have with the trigger?

I think you should get the Cougar. It's one I'd personally like to have. I've shot the Ruger P95 and don't really care for it. Just my :ugh:

What didn't you like about the P95? How do you think the Cougar would be better? Just trying to get some solid, detailed info as it's my money (and potentially my life as it'll be a primary home defense weapon) on the line.

Concerning Ruger trigger complaints: It is just what I have read online. Regarding the grip: grip is a very personal thing as everyones' hands are different from anyone else. If you like the grip that is important. I did shoot the Ruger P95 about 3 months ago, just a couple of magazines. I do not recall my impressions of the trigger, so it did not make a bad impression. I did find it to be accurate as I was able to put my first 10 shots in the head of the target at 10 to 15 yards. I previously considered getting a Ruger and I am a research nut. It is a well rated gun, some say a real sleeper of a value, maybe the best value out there, especially if you can find one used at a good price IMO. No gun is perfect so if you search well you will find some folks with issues on any gun. Any gun I am considering I always try multiple searches on different search engines and I always try a search with the gun name and the words "problems issues complaints".

There is another new thread here about the Beretta Px4 and issues with

Beretta customer service. Generally I have heard they are slow and not very service oriented, but I have no experience with them. Since they own Stoeger you might want to research the internet to see what folks are saying about Stoeger's customer service. Ruger is reported to have good customer service.

All of my comments where I say "reported" or "some say" are based on what I have read online.

Edited by Patrick Henry

I haven't heard any reports of Beretta/Stoeger customer service. I will have to research that. I have always heard good things about Ruger customer service. Ruger is American-made, which is a bonus to me personally.

Also it's been pointed out to me that revolvers are great for home defense as you never have to worry about FTF or anything like that. If you were looking at revolvers in the $350-400 price point or less, and you liked the feel of the Ruger P95 and Stoeger Cougar, what revolvers would you recommend I look at? I didn't hold any revolvers today nor have I ever even shot one.

Guest Papabear
Also it's been pointed out to me that revolvers are great for home defense as you never have to worry about FTF or anything like that. If you were looking at revolvers in the $350-400 price point or less, and you liked the feel of the Ruger P95 and Stoeger Cougar, what revolvers would you recommend I look at? I didn't hold any revolvers today nor have I ever even shot one.

I like autoloaders as much as anyone on this board I own alot of them. But I would suggest you take a good look at the revolver selection also. A quality revolver will give you a lifetime of service with very little maintance hassles. They are easy to clean and maintain especially for a first time shooter. I would at least try several different ones and see if you like the feel of them. You will not get one that fits your hand similar to a P95 or Cougar as the grip frames on a revolver are just different. There are good selections from Ruger and other makers in your price range and the upside to a revolver is buying used is a little easier than autoloaders because theres just not alot that you can do to hurt a good revolver. In the end you need to buy what you are comfortable with. But do not just nail yourself down to one or two types of handguns.

I wouldn't say a revolver will 'never' FTF... I recently saw an example of a brand new S&W revolver lock up several times during a shooting session, and have seen a few others as well. When a revolver malfunctions, it's very difficult to recover... not just a tap-rack.

I've got an old Ruger P85 MKII that I really like. Sure it's big, heavy, and a bit clunky looking... but it's been 100% reliable and is plenty accurate. It's a nice range gun. Honestly, I didn't like it a whole lot at first. I got a Hogue grip for it and that transformed it. I know zip about the Cougar. Based on what I've read about it in the past 10 mins, it sounds like a good choice too. The P s-series is hard to beat for the $$.

I'm leaning more and more towards the Ruger here guys. Simply for the reason that this will be one of only a few handguns I plan on owning (I want a revolver for myself too and a CCW gun down the road, plus finding something for my wife that she is comfortable with which may end up being my revolver). I'm just more of a long gun shooter. It gets my blood pumping. Shooting handguns doesn't do much for me, but it's a skill I want to develop for obvious safety reasons. I can't tell the different between a $50 and $100 bottle of champagne, even though I'm sure the $100 is better, to my palette the might as well be the same. If I hadn't ran across the Stoeger the Ruger would be the clear cut choice all day long against a lot of guns I handled that people would put well ahead of the Ruger. If I was used to shooting the Stoeger I may have trouble going to the Ruger, but since they're both new to me I'm sure I'll be just fine with the Ruger. It also affords me more free money towards ammo and accessories, which is always a bonus too.

Can't say much about the Stoeger as I have never fired one. I do have a Ruger P95DC, though, and I really like it. It has never had a hiccup that was the fault of the pistol and the only time it didn't go 'bang' was on some ammo I got that came in white boxes with black lettering telling only the lot number and caliber - which I believe to have been intended for SMGs because of the 'red' around the primer and so probably had very hard primers. Even the few that didn't fire the first time fired on the second strike, though.

As far as possible later carry, the P95 seems too bulky and heavy for carry, at first, but I have found that it actually carries pretty easily OWB in a leather belt slide holster and actually conceals pretty easily under a long shirt or thin jacket. I don't know that I'd want to try and conceal it under light summer clothing, though.

As I said earlier go with the gun you keep going back to, which as of late last nite and again today is the Ruger. They are both good guns; you will not make a mistake with either one. Some good advice I got yrs ago from my Dad, get the facts, make your decision, and get on with life. Learn from your mistakes but don't keep looking back, should of, would of, and could of are a waste of time.

The Ruger is a quality gun, a good value, you like, get it and shoot it a lot.

Guest BEARMAN

You shoot Glocks and think the Ruger is blocky? I do not like the ergonomics of Glocks. They just don't feel right in my hand. The Ruger is on a bigger frame with a bigger grip, but actually fits my hand well. I find it odd that you'd commend the Stoeger for being not as blocky yet own Glocks. Could you be a little more specific as to why you'd prefer the Stoeger? Both feel great in my hands, albeit different.

QUOTE]

Josh, my friend, you need to slow down a wee bit and try not to digest too much information at once.

No where in my post did I mention that I shoot glocks, nor do I own, or have ever owned a glock.

But I digress. I do own a Beretta Cougar 8000 9mm and It is a very smooth shooter.

I will re-state to you with conviction that the Ruger P-series is a blocky pistol

as I have owned two P-series Rugers.

Again, josh, read the post carefully, before you post...It will cut down on confusion, brother. ;)