• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ae-35

I voted, my mom lives in Maryville. Man, that area has changed so much in the past few years. Got'n quite liberal, an very " Yankee like" in their attitude, since all the " Half-Backs" moved in.

Guest pws_smokeyjones

Since it ended up with a majority YES, it won't be a story for them. They will sink it for a few days, then run the poll again and again until they get a majority NO votes, and then they will make a 'story' out of it. That is my prediction.

I apprciate everybodies help with this. If it wasn't for you guys it could've turned out differently. I really do believe that the majority of the people here in Blount County are pro gun and wouldn't want this poll to tell otherwise.

AE-35, I believe you're right. Too many yankees have moved here trying to bring their views that don't jive with the locals.

When my brother-in-law got back from active duty in Viet Nam, he and my sister moved to Maryville, he to finish college at UT, she to teach school there in Maryville. I remember moving them from my hometown (Milan) up there after a football game, Earnie and I had loaded the U-Haul that afternoon, we played Bolivar, and after the game we headed out to drive through the night. Sister was carrying the new baby, (a present from R and R visitation his last year in) with my parents the next morning. It was my first trip to East TN, and I loved the town and the people. When we got up there, he had rented a basement from a Methodist preacher as an apartment. Daylight found us unloading the truck, and some folks from the neighborhood came over to help. We actually painted the whole apartment that day as well, as it was a little shabby. The neighbors had paint left over from a re-do of their own place, not only donating their goods, but the brushes and their time to help as well.

38 years ago, but I have nothing but good memories of the town and the people, would be a shame if the charm is gone from that nice little place in my mind.

Guest davidz71

My daughter was married last Saturday at the Butterfly Gap Retreat south of Maryville. We stayed at the Jameson Inn in Maryville and the folks seemed nice. They weren't bothered a bit as we drank champagne in the lobby and ate pizza late that night after the wedding.

Too many yankees have moved here trying to bring their views that don't jive with the locals.

Don't have to worry about this yankee doing that. I left NY because of the people and politics. As far as I'm concerned, y'all are doing things right down here and this gun loving, freedom loving yankee is happy to be here!! :up::up:

Don't have to worry about this yankee doing that. I left NY because of the people and politics. As far as I'm concerned, y'all are doing things right down here and this gun loving, freedom loving yankee is happy to be here!! :mad::up:

There are good yankees and da$#ed yankees. Good yankess like East TN because it isn't like where they're from. Da$#ed yankees dislike ET because it isn't like where they're from. Good yankees get Honorary Southerner status.

Guest Ae-35

We have, and continue to welcome anyone who moves here. It's just that some have started a anti-hunting agenda, and one even put barbed-wire across the creek that runs through his land an hung a no tresspassing sign. Now everyone has the right to post their land. By law no one owns a waterway. Had to have TWRA make him take it down. He even threatened to sue the gamewarden, haha!! Such an a$$. Now the locals have really gotten a bad taste for the "Halfbacks" !!

Edited by Ae-35
spelling
By law no one owns a waterway.

So does this mean that if a creek runs through your property I can go swimming anytime I want?

As long as you stay in the water or is there a 15 foot rule on either side?

The reason I ask is there is a good swimming hole I know but the owner kicked everyone out.

So from what you're saying, if we stay in the water the whole time, it's legal?