need advice from ladies that carry.

Guest jdavis

Guest jdavis

my wife 5' 10" tall and weighs between 135 and 150 lbs and she wants a iwb sob holster for her glock 23, can some of you ladies give me oppinions on what works for you in this carry position? i have never carried iiwb or sob and i am a 6' 3" 235 lb male so i am lost. thank you all in advance.

Edited by jdavis
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never carried, nor wanted to carry SOB, so I'm afraid I can't help you too much there. Maybe some other ladies will chime in and have a good suggestion for you.

I can tell you that K&D Holster makes some GREAT leather holsters that are totally worth the money and the wait (about 3-4 months). I currently have a Thunderbird Defender that would probably work for SOB, because it is adjustable. It's so light and comfy that I hardly know it's there....but I wear mine at 2 o'clock. I can also tell you that Kholster is a wonderful and very comfortable way to carry IWB and it's so depth and cant adjustable, that you could adjust it for just about any position that you'd want. I highly recommend both of these manufacturers.

A couple other really popular IWB's are the Crossbreed Supertuck and Minotaur M-Tac. Between the two, I'd go with the Supertuck any day.....and I've had both (sold the M-Tac, will be keeping the Supertuck!).

I'd say that any of the ones I've mentioned are adjustable enough to be able to carry in the SOB position.

Good Luck! Hope you can find something your wife is comfortable with! :love:

Yep, I sure wouldn't recommend SOB carry, especially for a woman. Appendix Carry (1-2 o'clock) style seems to work best for most ladies it seems.

Think about most attacks on women......what seems most common? The attacker coming at the woman from behind. If the gun is SOB, she is SOL.

Guest jdavis
Why has she chosen SOB carry?

i have no idea why she wants to carry sob i dont think its a good idea either but i dont know how to change her mind i think i will let her read some of these the posts and maybe she will see a better view. thanks to packing mama. what are some good apendix carry options.

I started out wanting to SOB carry for these reasons, and learned why not as well...

Reasons: You think it's the most concealed location and that's the only place it'll fit in my pants

What I learned: It's not nearly as concealed as you might think. Everyone will see your gun if you bend over. Women's "hip hugger" type jeans/pants make this even worse. I've seen a few ladies carrying this way and it's far from concealed. It's better to buy a few pairs of bigger pants (or lose some weight in my case). You whole wardrobe has to change slightly. You can't draw it very quickly. Attacks come from behind. If it moves, you can't adjust it covertly. Holster selection isn't the best. And most of all.... it really, really hurts when you fall on it.

Yes, please do let her read this thread for sure....and you're welcome! :puke:

Appendix carry options:

First of all, you have to find a holster or rig that can hold the gun in a neutral or crossdraw position. The traditional forward cant does not work for appendix carry.....the angle is all wrong to draw the gun quickly and comfortably. There are lots of holster manufacturers that offer neutral or crossdraw options.

Comp-Tac M-Tac has a neutral carry IWB holster that is specifically designed for this type of carry. A Crossbreed Supertuck IWB might be a good choice too. I just got a Supertuck with my P11 and it's adjustable enough to work for appendix carry. As a matter of fact, I like it quite a bit! Since I got it, I've been wearing it exclusively. Kholster is a good one too.....it's extremely depth and cant adjustable, so you can get them to work for any position, plus it's very comfortable and a great value at $49 shipped (pm me for a 10% rebate code if go with Kholster).

There's lots of custom leather holster makers that can make you a neutral or crossdraw rig too.....IWB or OWB. K&D Holster has the Eagle Defender OWB that can be made in crossdraw, and their Maverick Defender IWB can be adjusted to any cant you like. I was looking at DM Bullard holsters last night and they have one called the Jr. Dual Carry that is made for appendix carry, and it's IWB/OWB convertible if I remember correctly.

That's just a few that I know of and would recommend. If you shop around, you can find countless choices that will work for appendix carry. Just make sure you get a neutral or crossdraw cant......or one that will adjust to that position. I learned this through trial and error, but at least someone might benefit from my mistakes. :P

I almost forgot to mention one of my favorites.....a belly band! These can be found in widths ranging from 4-6" and many different gun/mag pocket configurations. These are great for appendix carry and can be worn whenever you're not wearing a belt....under any kind of clothing. They conceal the gun very well and are extremely comfortable too.

Edited by PackinMama
  • 4 months later...