Thinkin about a Kel-Tec PF9

gnmwilliams

Can anyone tell me about the reliability and shootability of a Kel-Tec PF9 as well as it's size compared to various sub-compacts such as the Taurus Slim? Oh and if anyone in the Knoxville area has one and would be willing to let me shoot it or just hold it, I'd bring the bullets!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest m&pc9

I was thinking about getting one, before I shot a buddies. The trigger was terrible and the recoil for a 9mm was horrible.

If you cant find someone else's to shoot , I might be able to borrow his and let you shoot it.

Guest jeliggett
For a gun that costs less than $300 the PF9 is a good one. Very reliable and a decent gun for what they were designed for.

Best bang for the buck. 500 plus no issues at all.

Guest SUNTZU

I've got one and I really like it. I don't think you'd be sorry for buying one. I can meet you at CCA one evening this week if you want to shoot it.

For a gun that costs less than $300 the PF9 is a good one. Very reliable and a decent gun for what they were designed for.

+1 It does exactly what it was designed to do. It is small and light so it does have considerable recoil but you can put it in a pocket. It's just a trade off. You give up one thing to get another. It is not a range gun but I bet that if it ever was used for what it is made for you would never notice the recoil.

Guest 1817ak47

I have a p-11 which is basically just slightly heavier and a little thicker.15" according to kel-tec. though I hate the trigger it is made that way for your safety! eventually soon I will be at norris range again and can bring the p-11, not the same but very similar. recoil yes a little snappy, but considering it has quite a bity more power than a 380 that is to be expected and is not something to blame the gun for. there was a good price on a used one on here a few days ago I wanted to buy but I really should stockpile up some more cash

I bought one last night. If you want to shoot it. Send me a PM. I can meet at norris or CCA or wherever else really. It's nice and small and does exactly what it's meant to. I tried a few hot +p rounds in it and had a bit of an issue. I'm not sure if it was me or the gun. (It is rated for +p with limited use, but it was pretty uncomfortable).

Guest DeadEye
I bought one last night. If you want to shoot it. Send me a PM. I can meet at norris or CCA or wherever else really. It's nice and small and does exactly what it's meant to. I tried a few hot +p rounds in it and had a bit of an issue. I'm not sure if it was me or the gun. (It is rated for +p with limited use, but it was pretty uncomfortable).

What kind of an Issue?

Guest 1817ak47
What kind of an Issue?

curious too, too much snap up recoil??? I would like to try that out sometime. did you get the p-11 or p-9?? I got another mosin too that we can try out sometime, and I am going to try to get my m44 mosin sight adjusted too over there

Guest DeadEye
curious too, too much snap up recoil??? I would like to try that out sometime. did you get the p-11 or p-9?? I got another mosin too that we can try out sometime, and I am going to try to get my m44 mosin sight adjusted too over there

In general the only sight adj a Mosin needs is extending the Bayo!

What kind of an Issue?

Well, it was double tap 115 grain +p. The first shot fired and was Gorky accurate. The second round failed to feed. I do not believe I limp wristed it but it is a possibility. I've not had a chance to try any other HP. The guy I got it from said it fed Speer gold dot just fine.

As far as I could tell it was just too hot. Doubletap loads are at the top end of the spec. I got them to carry in my hk p7.

Like I said, you're welcome to shoot it.

+1 It does exactly what it was designed to do. It is small and light so it does have considerable recoil but you can put it in a pocket. It's just a trade off. You give up one thing to get another. It is not a range gun but I bet that if it ever was used for what it is made for you would never notice the recoil.

+2 Ditto above, for the money - a really decent protection weapon. It's a great companion to my Glock 32 ! Right now . . . good luck finding one to purchase, they're really scarce.

Guest dlstewart01

I have a PF9. The gun has some recoil but that's the result of a gun being that light and small. It conceals well. The recoil is NO where near as bad as a S&W J-frame 357 made from scandium. Not even close.

Mine is 100% reliable. You have to get to know the guns needs. You can't dry fire them. They need to be kept clean, they like grease on the frame rails. They suffer from limp wresting more than other guns. They also don't like 147 grain bullets. Although some of them will fire them with no problems.

I would say for the price you can't beat them. I like to think the PF9 is my blue collar working gun and I don't care if it gets beat up some carrying it.

003.jpg

Mine sucks, it fails to feed every 3rd round and the weird part is it flips the round nose down so it cant get to the feed ramp. It may be the mag or the 147s FMJs Ive heard they don't like big bullets. maybe Ill try some 115s. :blush: