Loaded .45 acp today, Questions?

So I loaded (for the first time) 300 rnds of .45 acp (150 of each) today and test fired both recipes and they both seemed to be STRONG rounds? Here's my recipes.

1. Winchester once fired cartridges, Winchester large pistol primers, Berry plated 230 grn. bullets, Unique 6.0 grns of powder = 800 FPS. 1.270 COAL

2. Winchester once fired cartridges, Winchester large pistol primers, Berry plated 230 grn. bullets, Titegroup 4.8 grns of powder = approx 800 FPS. 1.270 COAL

All shot from my RIA full size 1911!!!!

On to my question, yesterday I was shooting 230 grn. WWB with my boss and the load seemed really soft and smooth, today both these loads seemed very strong which is the opposite of the 9mm I been loading which ALL seemed softer that the factory loads so what gives? I already decided to down load my loads in both powders to around 750 FPS but my understanding was the factories loaded on the high side?. Mind you I'm a newby and have been reading a lot and practicing safe reloading.... Thanks all... COOP

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Crunchman

What Westwindmike said and check your crimp. A little too much and you will get a sudden pressure spike that will cause the extreme recoil. My loads are at 5.7 for Unique and 4.7 for the Titegroup.

COOP, look at the primer and see if it is flat all the way across from edge to edge or is it still rounded a little on the outside edge next to the brass. Is there any black carbon on the outside of the case...a lot of black is normal on light loads and the case seals better, allowing less gas leakage around the case as the pressure increases. Unless you are getting really flat primers with some flow of the primer back into the firing pin hole(this is called cratering) I wouldn't worry about it. If the recoil is too stiff for comfort then back the load down but it does not sound too hot from memory.

As to loads for FMJ vs Plated vs lead RN, loads are usually lower for lead because factory lead bullets from Hornady and Speer are extremely soft swaged lead. I have loaded full power loads with hard cast quality bullets for years with no ill effects. As to crimping, a good crimp is a good thing on the 45acp as it is on the 40SW and 9mm because it promotes consistent pressures and stops bullet set back as the bullet is slammed into the feed ramp. Since the pressure has to swell the case to seal the case and release the bullet, I do not see how it could cause a pressure spike. What it can do is cause a consistent bullet release which is good for accuracy.

Thanks all and I was using FMJ data for the plated RN so I guess I loaded on the HIGH side... NEWB!! I loaded some more today and lowered my Titegroup recipe to 4.0 grns. and lessoned the crimp just a hair, still seemed like a hot load but then my arm is bothering me today from tennis elbow (shooters elbow) I'm also lowering my Unique recipe to 5.2 grns. Thanks for all the advice and anybody have a Sig P220 full stainless they want to shoot some hot loads with? Meet me at the range!!! LOL. COOP