7 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the date for the EAT and SHOOT

• January 12th at 6:30PM
    • Another date would be better

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a quick update about "minors" at RangeUSA. Under 21 can only shoot handguns with parent or legal guardian present. 18 and up can shoot rifles (in allowed calibers) without parent or legal guardian present.

Check with Range Employee's for more information.

Just a quick update about "minors" at RangeUSA. Under 21 can only shoot handguns with parent or legal guardian present. 18 and up can shoot rifles (in allowed calibers) without parent or legal guardian present.

First I am NOT a lawyer and I did NOT stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night but....

An 18 year old is not a Minor they are a major. They can enter in to contracts legally, purchase tobacco products, join the military and go to federal pound me in the @$$ prison if they do something really wrong.

I looked on the official range rules that Canyon posted and it only states that

9. No minors under 18 years of age allowed in the range area without an adult.

So I would print that out and take it with you to them. She should be good to shoot.

State law restricts juveniles under 18 from possessing handguns without parental permission or authorized supervision. But there are no restrictions on juveniles possessing rifles or shotguns including semiautomatic assault weapons

This comes from the Brady Campaign website so it must be factual....

Here is the actual law regarding the subject

39-17-1319. Handgun possession prohibited — Exceptions. —

Except as provided in this section, it is an offense for a juvenile to knowingly possess a handgun.

© (1) Illegal possession of a handgun by a juvenile is a delinquent act and, in addition to any other disposition authorized by law, the juvenile may be required to perform not more than one hundred (100) hours of community service work to be specified by the judge, and the juvenile's driving privileges shall be suspended for a period of one (1) year in accordance with the procedure set out in title 55, chapter 10, part 7.

(2) A second or subsequent violation of this section is a delinquent act and, in addition to any other disposition authorized by law, the juvenile may be required to perform not less than one hundred (100) nor more than two hundred (200) hours of community service work to be specified by the judge, and the juvenile's driving privileges shall be suspended for a period of two (2) years in accordance with the procedure set out in title 55, chapter 10, part 7.

(3) Any handgun illegally possessed in violation of this section shall be confiscated and disposed of in accordance with the provisions of § 39-17-1317.

(d) (1) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that the juvenile is:

(A) In attendance at a hunter's safety course or a firearms safety course;

(:D Engaging in practice in the use of a firearm or target shooting at an established range authorized by the governing body of the jurisdiction in which such range is located or any other area where the discharge of a firearm is not prohibited;

© Engaging in an organized competition involving the use of a firearm, or participating in or practicing for a performance by an organized group which is exempt from federal income taxation under § 501©(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 (26 U.S.C. § 501©(3)), as amended, and which uses firearms as part of the performance;

(D) Hunting or trapping pursuant to a valid license issued to the juvenile pursuant to title 70;

(E) Accompanied by the juvenile's parent or guardian and is being instructed by the adult or guardian in the use of the handgun possessed by the juvenile;

(F) On real property which is under the control of an adult and has the permission of that adult and the juvenile's parent or legal guardian to possess a handgun;

(G) Traveling to or from any activity described in subdivision (d)(1) with an unloaded gun; or

(H) At the juvenile's residence and with the permission of the juvenile's parent or legal guardian, possesses a handgun and is justified in using physical force or deadly force.

(2) For purposes of subdivision (d)(1)(G), a handgun is “unloaded†if:

(A) There is not a cartridge in the chamber of the handgun;

(:D There is not a cartridge in the cylinder of the handgun if the handgun is a revolver; or

© The handgun, and the ammunition for the handgun, are not carried on the person of a juvenile or are not in such close proximity to the juvenile that the juvenile could readily gain access to the handgun and the ammunition and load the handgun.

(e) Notwithstanding any other provision of this part to the contrary, the provisions of this section shall govern a juvenile who possesses a handgun.

Again, range rules can trump the law as this is private property and the rules are being more restrictive.

Give Scott a call.

I work at RUSA so what I posted are the rules regarding persons under 21. The reason the rules state "under 18 must be with an adult" is that 18 - 20 year olds can come and shoot rifles without their parent or legal guardian.

Ryan

*disclaimer: I do not represent RUSA on this board or any other forum. The information in this post is based on my personal knowledge and opinion.

Guest jcramin

LOL WOW I just put 2 and 2 together and got 3..

NOW I know who this is LMAO

J

I work at RUSA so what I posted are the rules regarding persons under 21. The reason the rules state "under 18 must be with an adult" is that 18 - 20 year olds can come and shoot rifles without their parent or legal guardian.

Ryan

*disclaimer: I do not represent RUSA on this board or any other forum. The information in this post is based on my personal knowledge and opinion.

Guest jcramin

SHE LOVED the class. The noise kind of bothered her, she has sensitive years, that comes from me I HATED loud noise growing up, but Ill get her some really good ear protection and she will be ok.

Well she already told me she wants pink and black camo rifle. SO thats what I have to find LOL

She has already asked me to take her shooting again. she LOVES it.

J

Guest Halfpint

Ryan, thanks for the clarification... A year from now you'll have another regular customer--for now she'll stick to shooting at my aunt's... she doesn't have a lot of desire to shoot rifles.

Guest canynracer

this is correct...I was wrong...I know, I suck...sorry for the misinformation, I learned some new stuff last tuesday...:koolaid:

Thanks Ryan...

-Joel