Procedure for change of address question

I am moving and need to notify the ATF of my new addy for my SBR's. My question is is there a form, or do I just send a letter? If I just send the letter, what info do I include? I have 2 SBR's do i send seperate letters, or just 1 ? Thanks for any info

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bwhited

If you are moving in state then all you need to do is send a letter to the NFA. If your moving out of state then you need approval before you can take the weapons out of state and will need to file a special form. I cant remember which form it is but it should be on ATF's web site.

Personally, I would just use the ATF Form 5320.20.

It is actually the form for approval to transport NFA stuff out of state, but many people use it to notify the ATF of in-state address changes as well. In block 2, just check "no," that the firearms will not be returned to the original address. In block 5 for the reason, just put "permanent change of address." You can list up to 3 firearms on one form.

Fill out the form in duplicate and submit to ATF. They will return one of them back to you signed. Keep that for your records as proof that you officially changed your address.

The ATF will no longer take a letter (Depends on who you get at the ATF but thats the answer I got when I called). Follow what Reservoir Dog posted and you will be fine.

I just went through this last month and still waiting on them to send one back. I Sent the wrong forms the first time and had to redo it.

Make sure you use form 5230.20 and do not 5230.2 like I did, they are different forums.

Guest crotalus01

Curious about my situation - I have an approved 5320.20 to transport to the state I just moved to (didnt know I was moving here when I did my 5320.20). Lived in TN and just moved to MS to be closer to family.

Any advice?

Guest gcrookston
Curious about my situation - I have an approved 5320.20 to transport to the state I just moved to (didn't know I was moving here when I did my 5320.20). Lived in TN and just moved to MS to be closer to family.

Any advice?

If you originally reported as a Temporary, with a return date and checked the box indicating the firearms would be returned to the original location, I might want to send in another indicating no return to original address and reason as "Permanent Change of Address".

My move to Washington was Temporary, but I didn't know how long I was going to be there, so I reported it as Permanent Change of Address. Now that I am back here - 10 months later, I am temporarily living in an apartment, but have no idea of how long I'll be here (6 months? 2 years?), so I also reported this move as permanent.

The instructions for the form state in section e. that if the firearm is not return by the reported date another approval is to be submitted. Since I didn't know when I would be returning to TN and know don't know how long I'll be living in Hermitage, it made sense to just indicate these as permanent moves. A Better Safe than Sorry stance, I guess.

Also the form allows up to 3 items to be listed. If you own and are moving/transporting more than that you can complete additional forms for those items or you might try "See attached schedule 'A'", then attach a document titled "Schedule A" "Attached to and made part of Form 5320.20 dated xx/xx/10" with your items descriptions and also signed and dated by you.

By the way, I'm not an attorney, I'm a commercial finance guy. So I may be horribly, horribly mistaken on all advise I give. I've just spent my career reading and completing legal documents and telling attorneys what to do... I am no expert.

Edited by gcrookston