Can You carry at the Nashville airport?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

You cannot carry in the terminals (beyond the metal detectors), but the common areas I think have to be treated like any other business. If they aren't posted it's ok. But don't quote me on that.

Guest milkman

Last time I was there I am 90% sure it was posted. They had a four foot tall sign on the way in that made it clear no guns were allowed. I think locked in your trunk would be ok, but I wouldn't wear it at the Airport.

The signs are at the entrances to the building the last time I was there... not at the entrances to the parking lot... If that is still the case, then you can leave the weapon loaded in your vehicle, just can't carry it into the terminal.

Guest Broomhead

I work there. What these boys have told you is correct. The entire airport, minus the parking lots, is correctly posted. You cannot carry inside the airport, period. Good thing to do is lock it up all concealed like, i.e. a glove box, trunk, or other lockable area, not just sitting on the seat, carpet, or dash. I have seen someone do the latter.

I work there. What these boys have told you is correct. The entire airport, minus the parking lots, is correctly posted. You cannot carry inside the airport, period. Good thing to do is lock it up all concealed like, i.e. a glove box, trunk, or other lockable area, not just sitting on the seat, carpet, or dash. I have seen someone do the latter.

Man, dudes lucky a BG didn't break into his car and take that puppy.

Guest Usagi

I was at Nashville Airport 6 weeks ago. It was properly posted at every door I saw.

FWIW - Zach Wamp was on my plane that day. We chatted a bit. He asked me for his vote for Governor. Seemed to be a nice guy.

The funny thing about the law and the airport being properly posted (Knoxville is too) is that I am pretty sure you are actually breaking the law by going past the signs even if you have the handgun/rifle unloaded, in checked baggage. Nothing in the law says that an unloaded gun is okay while loaded guns are banned (see intent to go armed.) It says firearms are banned. So the bright people running our airports are making you commit a criminal act by choosing to check a firearm in your luggage.

If I am wrong, please show me how the law would let you legally have a firearm in your checked luggage past a properly posted sign.

Matthew

The prohibition at certain meetings law ("properly posted") removes the HCP defense from 39-17-1308 (Defenses to unlawful possession of a weapon). However, 39-17-1308(a)(1) would still apply as a defense ("Of an unloaded rifle, shotgun or handgun not concealed on or about the person and the ammunition for the weapon was not in the immediate vicinity of the person or weapon").

Now the confusion would come in the form of the question; Does having the gun in a locked box in your luggage with ammo near it constitute 'concealed on or about your person and the ammunition not in the immediate vicinity of the person or weapon'?

Many times, an LEO, a prosecutor or, (more importantly) a judge must use discretion and look at the intent of the law to determine whether or not a law was broken. Given all the federal laws governing transport of firearms, I'm willing to bet that nobody would ever say anything about a gun that was in your luggage and ready to be lawfully checked for a flight.