Question for the LEO's

Guest Caveman

Guest Caveman
If someone was prohibited to own guns, why can they not defend themselves with at least a baton, is what I was asking. And yes, I've always felt that, if qualified to carry a handgun, you should be allowed anything else that is lesser in lethality, as well as a Rambo/Suntzu knife.

I know of nothing more lethal than a Suntzu knife.:D

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's steep for a class like that. I wonder if we could get a couple interested people together and get some kind of group rate somewhere. I wouldn't mind to travel a bit for it.

I would be interested in doing that. I think that's very over priced IMHO. It's just a baton, and if I'm not mistaken you have to renew the certification as well. Can anyone confirm this?

Guest Caveman
And you should be allowed to tote three wolves, easily!

I can see it now.....a wolf shirt, a Suntzu knife and an HCP badge. I would be the baddest man on the planet.

If someone was prohibited to own guns, why can they not defend themselves with at least a baton, is what I was asking.

I have to agree with the state on this one. An ASP can put a serious hurtin' (and I mean serious bodily injury) on someone. If it's someone that shouldn't have a gun for obvious reasons, I don't think I'd want them walking around town with an ASP.

And yeah, I'm 100% with you on the "lesser weapons". The state is saying "we trust you with your .45, but whoa!!! Hold up! Is that a 4 1/2" Buck knife? No Sir!":screwy:

Guest Caveman
I would be interested in doing that. I think that's very over priced IMHO. It's just a baton, and if I'm not mistaken you have to renew the certification as well. Can anyone confirm this?

You do have to renew it, Suntzu has one and was gripping about it.

Thats really lame. So is it $150 to renew it as well? Or does it go down like the HCP does?

Since there is no license for it, only a certificate issued by an instructor, I'd imagine you'd have to just pay the instructor for another class. I'm not sure why in the hell it would need to expire though. Never seen anything in TCA about how often someone must receive training. Only that they must have received training. Maybe it's just that one instructor??

Guest Caveman
Thats really lame. So is it $150 to renew it as well? Or does it go down like the HCP does?

I don't know if you have to pay the full amount to renew, but I agree it is ridiculous. There are a lot of certs like that. My NASM cert has to be renewed every year, I don't know why, we don't learn anything new when we renew it. I guess it is a revenue generator.

Since there is no license for it, only a certificate issued by an instructor, I'd imagine you'd have to just pay the instructor for another class. I'm not sure why in the hell it would need to expire though. Never seen anything in TCA about how often someone must receive training. Only that they must have received training. Maybe it's just that one instructor??

Ya that doesn't make any sense to me why it has to be renewed.

What ASP do you guys recommend? 21" ? Is the airweight model worth the extra $?

Guest Caveman

It would seem to me the logic (or lack there of) is the same as it is for the HCP or DL renewal. We don't learn anything new or receive more training, we just have to pay more money.

Guest Caveman
Ya that doesn't make any sense to me why it has to be renewed.

What ASP do you guys recommend? 21" ? Is the airweight model worth the extra $?

I have used the airweight and didn't like it. The weight has a lot to do with effectiveness of the weapon. The shaft flexes when in use and causes a "whip" type of action, and to me the weight is part of that dynamic. The lighter ones don't feel right to me, IMO.

I have used the airweight and didn't like it. The weight has a lot to do with effectiveness of the weapon. The shaft flexes when in use and causes a "whip" type of action, and to me the weight is part of that dynamic. The lighter ones don't feel right to me, IMO.

Ok thanks, I'll look into the other models then.

+1

The 21" is perfect in my opinion. It's long enough to "reach out and touch someone", but not too long to conceal. Only one of my coworkers carries a 26" ASP and it's just way too long when it is collapsed.

Edited by kb4ns
Guest Caveman
Ok thanks, I'll look into the other models then.

I was a bouncer for 6+ years and always carried my 16 inch. It is the basic black on black model. For "close combat" it was perfect for me. I think the chrome ones are too flashy, kind of like carrying a chrome plated 45.

Guest Caveman
+1

The 21" is perfect in my opinion. It's long enough to "reach out and touch someone", but not too long to conceal. Only one of my coworkers carries a 26" ASP and it's just way too long when it is collapsed.

Do you carry the 21 on duty?

Guest Caveman
I'm looking at some of these ASP Batons in stock now. Buy ASP Batons with other brands and get FREE SHIPPING. ASP baton are the #1 batons in the USA.

Do I need to look into the more expensive nickel ones or will the basic ones do the trick

I actually used mine quite a bit, so it is all scratched up. I would not recommend the fancy nickle ones, its just going to get all scratched up anyway. I would get a basic one.