anyone Memphis-SSA Members ?

Guest jcramin

Guest jcramin

I was just wondering if we have any Memphis Sport Shooting Assoc members on the board ?

I was just wondering how the competitions are ? Is it a good place for new shooters to compete ? Not sure what I want to do yet, But I do want to get into some shooting sports.

Thanks,

J

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Halfpint

I'm not a member, but several regulars at the shop are... I've been a few times as a guest, it's a pretty nice spread. Really looking into getting a membership out there myself.

Guest jcramin

It takes me about 5 minutes to get there and and you can pretty much shoot anything you have. The yearly fee isnt that bad at $240 a year and you get all the range time you want to shoot up to 600 yards. But they do have a pretty steep one time fee to join. But I understand why, they dont want to get the people who just want to sight in rifles a few times a year. They want to make sure they have all active members if possible.

Since it is so close to me, im really thinking about joining for me and my family.

J

Guest Loaded247

I'm a member. The only thing I've competed in out there is the muzzleloading shoot, but I've seen the IDPA stuff a couple of times, and talked to a couple of the folks who shoot it. They seem to be real nice folks. If I were you, check the schedule to see when they will be shooting, and mosey on out to meet them.....

It's a very nice range to shoot at!

Guest jcramin

I went out there Sunday with my son and talked to a few people and watched some USPSA Practical Pistol Competition . Its a real nice place. All kinds of shooting and archery and fishing. I think I will join once all the Christmas stuff is over.

J

I am a member. We shoot IDPA the second and fourth Saturdays of the month. Our fourth Saturday (this Saturday) was cancelled due to X-Mas, but a few of us are talking about shooting (not sure if it will happen yet). Come out and shoot IDPA when you get a chance--newcomers are always welcome, and you don't have to be a member to shoot in the match.

• 2 months later...
Guest someguy12341

No, the Shelby Farms range is closed now. MSSA is off of Hwy 70 near Canada road, if memory serves. It's in Arlington, anyway.

As for Rangemaster, my personal opinion - having taken my permit class there - is that the instruction is top notch, but the facility is average at best. After all, it's a converted raquetball court - there's only so much you can do. If you're just doing close-in (contact distance) paper punching, it's fine, but the facilities at RangeUSA are much more complete (which makes sense, as it is a purpose-built facility).

I try to spread the wealth, so to speak, with local ranges and gun shops in Memphis... Some are much easier to deal with IMO, but the market is best served if they all stay in business. BATFE has thinned the herd quite enough in my opinion.

Rangemaster is decent- a little pricey, but I shoot there because it is so close to my house. Gas has to be added in to shooting costs, too!

The range this thread refers to is out at Lakeland.

http://www.memphis-ssa.com/

MSSA is a private Non-Profit Club located at

9428 Old Brownsville Rd., Arlington, TN 38002

901-867-8277

(Fax) 901-867-7122

Days of Operation: 7 Days a Week Hours: 8:00 am-Sunset

Guest BKING267

I will check this one out. Although i dont live in TN i live in MS but i work in Memphis. I am really interested in getting into shooting at some of the competitions I have just begun to shoot handguns. Also i am in the process of the waiting period to get my carry permit here in MS i have about a month to go. I am thinking very serious about taking so me courses at rangemaster. Does the other range offer courses also?

thanks again

Edited by BKING267
Guest someguy12341

Yes, RangeUSA does offer courses. I have not taken any of them (yet), but I've heard very good things, and I know several of the employees there, so I have no reason to doubt the quality of instruction.

You probably already know this, but RangeMaster is right near the Mendenhall / Mt. Moriah split, just south of I240, and Range USA is in Bartlett behind the boat dealership that's on the corner of Whitten and Summer. I'd definitely check them out.

Guest atomemphis

RangeUSA if a little off of I-40, at Whitten Rd / Summer Ave .

I've taken classes there and regularly (weekly) shoot there. I couldn't be happier, of the ranges I've been to in Memphis and Nashville and Murfreesboro, its been the best.

I have taken classes at Range USA and I have taken one class at RangeMaster. I really enjoyed the classes at Range USA (5 so far). I didn't like the one class I took at RangeMaster so I haven't been back.

When I am able to shoot I always go to Range USA. They are great people.

Guest atomemphis

+1. Their gun prices aren't the cheapest on everything (though they are a Master Dealer for Kimber, so their prices are very low), but I'd rather throw them the few extra bucks when I can if I'm ordering a new complete gun.

With my next purchase of an AR lower, who knows.

I have taken classes at Range USA and I have taken one class at RangeMaster. I really enjoyed the classes at Range USA (5 so far). I didn't like the one class I took at RangeMaster so I haven't been back.

When I am able to shoot I always go to Range USA. They are great people.

What did you not like about the Rangemaster class? Who was your instructor/instructors?

I've never taken any classes at RangeUSA, but I know a few who have. Most people that take the carry permit class seem to get a lot more out of it when they go to Rangemaster.

Guest jcramin

NO Memphis-SSA is off Canada Road and on Old Brownsville. Its a gun club with out door ranges and LOTS of competitions. I will be joining Memphis-SSA in the next couple weeks. I just gota find time to get up there and sign up and pay.

Personally I would have to vote for RANGE-USA over Rangemasters for a good indoor range.

J

Is this the range that is off walnut grove road at shelby farms??? Also is Rangemasters a good indoor range??
What did you not like about the Rangemaster class? Who was your instructor/instructors?

I've never taken any classes at RangeUSA, but I know a few who have. Most people that take the carry permit class seem to get a lot more out of it when they go to Rangemaster.

I took the shotgun class at Rangemaster. I don't remember the instructors. There were three. They told me the class started at 9. I called to confirm the class time because the internet had a different time and was told 9. I got there at 9 along with about half the class and they said the class started at 10. I thought that the instructors were jerks.

The class itself was good but I just like the Range USA. They can teach you without being a donkey about it. The class at Range USA had fewer people in it so things move along a lot faster.

FYI I have not taken the carry permit class so I can't say either way on that class.

Guest jcramin

I dont know how true it is BUT, RangeUSA says they have the most people take the carry class at their range than any other range in TN.

I have taken 2 classes, my wife has taken 3 classes and my 12 year old son and 7 year old daughter have each taken a class. We have taken all our classes at RangeUSA. SO all I can really say is how very happy I am with the instructors and the classes that RangeUSA has.

J