Some perspective to the gulf oil spill

Guest 6.8 AR

Guest 6.8 AR

I asked, in another thread about why Obama may have dragged his feet in getting involved in the Deepwater Horizon accident. Someone else thinks so, too.

American Thinker: Taking Advantage of an Oil Crisis

Let's not let a good crisis go to waste!

People have criticized Bush in his actions during Katrina. Why does Obama deserve the pass?

White house Press Secretary Gibbs stated over and over today that this is BP's responsibility.

No kidding! But does the Gulf coast have to be in the middle of politics in order to get "after the fact" help?

Edited by 6.8 AR
add
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest KarlS

Never let a good crisis go to waste? They won't. The thought of the administartion politiczing this scares me, but I would not be surprized. It upsets me to hear Gibsy up there saying they have their foot on the throats of BP and make sure you start your law suits immediately. The arrogance of this administration is becoming all to well known.

First and foremost the oil, it's containment, and seeing that the residents transition into and out of this disaster should be their primary focus. I'll take a wait and see approach to the handling of the spill by Obama.

I do think The O team is licking their chops at the possibilities coming out of this spill. The anti capitalist big oil haters are having a field day. Then there is the environmentalists lining up right behind them. What's in store for us out of this mess? I see nothing good. I did see that cap and trade got shelved over this...for now. :clap:

Edited by KarlS
sp
Guest FroggyOne2

8 days to respond! .. When Katrina hit.. it was not Bush and the Feds at fault so much as it was the lib mayor of N.O. and the Gov of La. that waited to make the call.. they are the ones that dragged their feet!!!! it is true that FEMA did drag a lil.. but once the Feds under Bush were called upon.. action commenced.

Considering the number of eco-terrorists that we have in this country, am I the only one here who finds it suspicious that an off-shore oil rig mysteriously blows up shortly after the administration announces that they are going to open up the coast to more drilling?

Considering the number of eco-terrorists that we have in this country, am I the only one here who finds it suspicious that an off-shore oil rig mysteriously blows up shortly after the administration announces that they are going to open up the coast to more drilling?

Lots of holes in the hippy terrorist theory :clap:. BP can probably tell us exactly what happened. We may just have to beat them with a rubber hose to get it.

Guest FroggyOne2

If you had listened to Mark Levin last thurs night or was it friday night.. think it was thurs.. he had a caller that he verified that was on the rig when it blew.. It was gas that hit the well head and blew the top off.. the natural gas enveloped the rig and started the fire.. which in turn caused the explosion.

If you had listened to Mark Levin last thurs night or was it friday night.. think it was thurs.. he had a caller that he verified that was on the rig when it blew.. It was gas that hit the well head and blew the top off.. the natural gas enveloped the rig and started the fire.. which in turn caused the explosion.

Thanks. I had heard nothing about the cause at all, and I have seen quite a bit of the coverage.

Lots of holes in the hippy terrorist theory :clap:. BP can probably tell us exactly what happened. We may just have to beat them with a rubber hose to get it.

You mean like the holes where they have been blowing up other crap on the west coast?

Guest FroggyOne2

And of all that coverage.. ( I don't watch TV).. how much of it talked of the 11 men that died on the platform when the dragon flames envolped those men?

8 days to respond! .. When Katrina hit.. it was not Bush and the Feds at fault so much as it was the lib mayor of N.O. and the Gov of La. that waited to make the call.. they are the ones that dragged their feet!!!! it is true that FEMA did drag a lil.. but once the Feds under Bush were called upon.. action commenced.

Nagin screwed up, Blanco was an incompetenet idiot, and the response from the Feds was pathetic. But let me quote AR... Hindsight is 2020. That was an awesome storm. I was involved in the whole thing.

As far as I'm concerned, Nagin mostly redeemed himself because the next evacuation of NOLA was damn near flawless. The Feds also did a lot of work on improving responsiveness. Blanco is still an idiot, but AFIK, she can't use it to hurt anybodt now.

Regarding the current crisis... they got in front of the oil with miles of boom. Do you think they deployed all those resources in 24 hours? If anything, they should be commended for NOT politicizing this. It's obvious to anybody that's done disaster recovery, they were on this as soon as there was a verified threat.

Blowing up crap, and blowing up an oil rig are two different things. Besides, everything points to an oversized blowout.

Like I said, I saw nothing on the news stating this.

Blowing up a rig loaded with volatile substances would be easy. The tough part would be getting on the rig itself.

Guest 6.8 AR

Nagin did redeem himself during Katrina. But I wasn't talking about Nagin. It's the difference between the coverage and response times with Bush and Katrina(a natural event) and Obama and the spill. I say the politicizing started the day it was learned. I also say the gulf coast may have been made to be a victim unnecessarily due to this administration's lack of action.

Considering the fact a sizeable portion of his supporters don't want anything to do with offshore oil drilling, It looks convenient and the gulf coast will make a big visual statement against offshore drilling. It happened in California. That state has liberalized itself into oblivion and hasn't learned the lessons, yet.

Gibbs has gone out of his way to point out responsibility belonging to BP, yet taking a lot of time to attempt to assist in the cleanup or offer assistance to BP and the state of Louisiana to be proactive.

I just think it's ironic on several fronts. I'm not necessarily talking about his going down there, although that is telling.

I also wonder why Janet Napolitano hasn't accused BP of terrorism, since

she has coined the phrase "man caused disaster" as the new terrorism. She is an idiot and I am waiting to hear her say it.

In lieu of the politics, more could have been done earlier. No one wanted

this to happen, that I know of, but some may be using this politically to

further destroy our economy.

Like I said, I saw nothing on the news stating this.

Blowing up a rig loaded with volatile substances would be easy. The tough part would be getting on the rig itself.

I've heard tidbits pointing to a natural gas blowout, but nothing quite as definitive as the one Froggy mentioned.

Getting on the rig is a big one. Creating a massive oil spill against your core beliefs is another. I know there are some real crazies in that bunch, and the thought crossed my mind early on. I just talked myself out of it.

AR,

Will Obama yield to pressure against offshore drilling? It remains to be seen. Will he permanently shut down production? I don't think so. No sane economist would recommend that, and he seems to listen to those folks.

I agree, California is the national poster child of Liberal stupidity, and they don't seem to learn anything as time goes on. I would never live there, and pass on every opportunity I get to even visit. There are a few other deep blue states that are almost as bad.

Does the Obama administration view the situation as a crisis, and potential disaster? Absolutely. Do they view it as a chance to gain political ground? Of course. Are they going to put political gain above proper handling of the crisis? Doesn't look like it. Are they going to hold BP accountable? Absolutely.

Guest 6.8 AR

As they should. BP already has accepted responsibility. I don't like that those folks on the coast may have been made to suffer any more than necessary because of political

advantage. Response times are critical. I would like to think the coastal governors are doing what they can with what they have. Bobby Jindal seemed to be on top of the situation. I just hope the politics didn't lead to inaction. It is a tragedy and resources

spent there would be better served than a monument to Ted Kennedy and turtle

crossings.

Guest FroggyOne2

From what I understand there was only one "boom" in the nation.. we had to barrow a few from South Africa or South America and elsewhere.

Also.. the rig was "under contract" by BP and was owned by another company offshore. And the rig has recieved the highest awards for safety from the MMC.

Edited by FroggyOne2

There is a possibility that they will do a good job of containing it before it totally devastates the area. Some will go bankrupt because they were already on the edge. The economy sucked down there to begin with.

Bobby is a breath of fresh air after that airhead woman he replaced. i'm sure there's a "bury the hatchet" mentality on the ground. Usually happens during a crisis. We let WWL our competition) operate out of our studios after Katrina at no charge. There were no ass whippin's, even though it came close a few times :-). I pissed Haley Barbour off pretty good, but that's a long story.

Environmentalist whackos... I'll tell you the story of the Blue Spotted Salamanders outside of Boston when we hit the range. Or the idiots in Denver that stopped a transmitter project on lookout mountain. It's on the air now, but it took years.

From what I understand there was only one "boom" in the nation.. we had to barrow a few from South Africa or South America and elsewhere.

Also.. the rig was "under contract" by BP and was owned by another company offshore. And the rig has recieved the highest awards for safety from the MMC.

It's really starting to look like an unavoidable accident. going to trigger a lot of engineering work. At least some of the smarter libs believe in science and engineering :koolaid:

OK, I'll beat y'all to the punch..."there ain't no such thing as a smart lib" :D

Guest KarlS

It was surprising to see this and shortly thereafter heard it on the radio. Understandibly an absense of media coverage. This in essense Gibsy... puts the foot of the Gulf Coast people squarely on the Fed's throat!

We were there from day one my ass. There will be more to follow on this!

Despite plan, not a single fire boom on hand on Gulf Coast at time of oil spill | al.com

excerp: If U.S. officials had followed up on a 1994 response plan for a major Gulf oil spill, it is possible that the spill could have been kept under control and far from land.

The problem: The federal government did not have a single fire boom on hand.

The "In-Situ Burn" plan produced by federal agencies in 1994 calls for responding to a major oil spill in the Gulf with the immediate use of fire booms.