How does one persuade another?

So my dad got his permit about a month ago and has yet to carry 1 time. ;)

I think he has carried the gun in his car a few times but that's it. I'm not sure how to persuade him to start carrying more or if I should just let it go.

He won't carry 1 in the chamber even when he's at home with the gun despite the fact that both his guns have a thumb safety. I offered to buy him a nice holster for his Ruger SR9 but he told me it was too big to carry.

His other gun is a Beretta 85FS which isn't exactly the most practical carry piece either. He has a decent holster for that gun, and so I know the problem isn't the gun/holster but rather his lack of interest in carrying.

I'd like some opinions from some fellow TGOers because a lot of you are closer to his age so maybe you can understand where he is coming from better than I can.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like some opinions from some fellow TGOers because a lot of you are closer to his age so maybe you can understand where he is coming from better than I can.

Sometimes in life you just have to settle for a difference of opinion and let it go.

- OS

Sometimes in life you just have to settle for a difference of opinion and let it go.

- OS

I agree, and I haven't said anything to him yet because I wanted to give him some time. Plus, I'm not really sure how to approach it.

You should let it go. Something will convince him when the time is right to carry all the time.

You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make it drink. It sounds like he already has a taste since he obtained his permit. Many people won't even do that.

Ya he's been around guns all his life but never had a desire to carry till i got my permit.

I think the reason he doesn't carry 1 in the chamber is because he has seen 3 different people shoot themselves on accident. He's very anal when it comes to safety, to the point it's annoying sometimes.

Guest rsgillmd
Ya he's been around guns all his life but never had a desire to carry till i got my permit.

I think the reason he doesn't carry 1 in the chamber is because he has seen 3 different people shoot themselves on accident. He's very anal when it comes to safety, to the point it's annoying sometimes.

I used to be afraid of guns because of reports of these "accidental" shootings, but now that I have taken my HCP class I understand there is nothing "accidental" to them. Accident means there was nothing that could have been done to prevent the event. That's why there are many motor vehicle collisions, but not many motor vehicle accidents.

I sincerely believe if you follow the 4 basic safety rules taught in HCP class, and are comfortable using your gun, there should be no accidental shootings.

Give your dad time. It's a huge step to going from being afraid of guns to being comfortable with them. He is obviously there already being that you say he has been around guns, and took the step of getting a permit. It is a much smaller step to start carrying. Perhaps if he practices carrying at home will make him more comfortable.

Maybe he needs an LCP, snubby or some other really easy to carry gun. I've only carried my LCP a few times because I know I don't shoot it nearly as well as a real gun. However, it is really easy to stick in my pocket if I'm in a hurry or just walking outside to take out the trash or something.

Maybe he needs an LCP, snubby or some other really easy to carry gun. I've only carried my LCP a few times because I know I don't shoot it nearly as well as a real gun. However, it is really easy to stick in my pocket if I'm in a hurry or just walking outside to take out the trash or something.

No offense but after shooting the LCP I would never recommend it to him. But I agree with the idea of something smaller. His job requires that he wear business casual so and no guns are allowed in the building.

He has yet to carry anywhere though so I really don't think problem is the weapon. He just needs to WANT to carry.

Guest PapaB

Erik88, do you live near your dad? If so, how often do you go to the range together? If he's a little skittish about an accidental shooting, that may pass just by using his gun more. I wouldn't talk about his carrying directly but, if you see reports of guns being used in a positive way I'd mention them. Stories like this one, from another thread, are what I mean.

Police: 89-Year-Old Fires Gun At Intruder - Des Moines News Story - KCCI Des Moines

89 year old woman used her gun to scare off intruder. Saying you got a kick out of hearing about someone that age using their gun to defend themselves would be alright. Telling him, "if someone old enough to be your mother can do it, you can too" would be a bad idea. Quietly plant a seed every so often and leave it alone. If he's not comfortable carrying, he probably shouldn't.

Erik88, do you live near your dad? If so, how often do you go to the range together? If he's a little skittish about an accidental shooting, that may pass just by using his gun more. I wouldn't talk about his carrying directly but, if you see reports of guns being used in a positive way I'd mention them. Stories like this one, from another thread, are what I mean.

Police: 89-Year-Old Fires Gun At Intruder - Des Moines News Story - KCCI Des Moines

89 year old woman used her gun to scare off intruder. Saying you got a kick out of hearing about someone that age using their gun to defend themselves would be alright. Telling him, "if someone old enough to be your mother can do it, you can too" would be a bad idea. Quietly plant a seed every so often and leave it alone. If he's not comfortable carrying, he probably shouldn't.

That's good advice, thank you sir.

drag him up to Norris Saturday morning.

You are not going to convince him to carry. Us old guys are set in our ways and only change when we want to. When the mood strikes him he will do it.

drag him up to Norris Saturday morning.

You are not going to convince him to carry. Us old guys are set in our ways and only change when we want to. When the mood strikes him he will do it.

I'll definitely bring him to norris soon. and congrats on hitting your 6000 mark! :cool:

Guest Letereat!

older member advice

Relax kiddo. Allow your Pops to grow into his newfound freedom and responsability, he may never feel the need or desire to carry all the time everywhere, different strokes for different folks an all.

Guest Letereat!

Great News clip PapaB,

I heard about that but had not seen the local account.That is precicely why I have tried to get Mom to have a gun in the house but shes immoveable on the issue, nay to guns period.