AR Purchase Dilemma

I know there a several AR threads, but this would be my first and am not real familiar with advantages of all the different technology. Of course price point comes into play.

the CDNN web store has M&P rifles (AR15 .223/5.56?) for pretty good deal. 799 Optic ready or 949 for the carry handle and sights. 18 Free Mags with them. OR

SigSauer 556 rifle and a free Sig 556 .22lr.

I know the Sig costs more, probably double the S&W? The price is not posted. Not certain if it is really worth it, but I know you are getting the other rifle included as well.

So, the dilemma is s&W for less money and 18 mags or 2 rifles for more money?

The warranty on the S&W is lifetime i believe. I am sure both are good guns, but wanted to see what those who own them or both would comment on the deal from CDNN?

Thanks.

JC

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I own a SIG 556 and a Bushmaster AR-15. I've been looking at getting a S&W MP-15 for sometime as a replacement for the SIG.

Positives for SIG:

1. Piston system. It runs cleaner and cooler.

2. I like the looks of it.

Negatives for SIG:

1. The SIG is not balanced as well as the typical AR-15 (it is muzzle heavy).

2. Charging handle is on the right side (like an AK).

3. The mag release button is just a bit (maybe an inch) further away from the trigger than the typical AR, as well. This may not be a problem if you have big hands.

4. Internal parts are not interchangeable with other ARs. This might be an issue if you want to buy a replacement bolt carrier group.

The S&W is an excellent AR. From my research, it may be the best bang for the buck in the AR world. If I had it to do over, I would buy the S&W and save the money.

I have the M&P and love it, but I know some guys who swear by that Sig. What is the price for the 556? You could if you wanted after some time sell the 22 for around 400-500 bucks. I guess it is according to your money situation. I also agree with Chip on the negatives. You can always convert the S&W to the gas piston from Adam Arms later if you want.

Edited by robin48

which S&W is the best deal? the 799 optic ready, 949 with handle? it gets higher with the rails and other items..not real certain of the differences rather than the sights and handles? how much does an optic cost? if i get the 799 rifle i will have to get some sort of sight. thanks for all the help.

I am assuming the SW is both .223 and 5.56...

JC

which S&W is the best deal? the 799 optic ready, 949 with handle? it gets higher with the rails and other items..not real certain of the differences rather than the sights and handles? how much does an optic cost? if i get the 799 rifle i will have to get some sort of sight. thanks for all the help.

JC

You can buy a Leapers quad rail for 59 - 79 bucks, ATI makes a carry handle for 45 I think. I would probably go with the 949 and just got with open sights, or maybe a laser. I took my scope off, because for my purpose I don't need one. I did install a laser and flashlight. If you want a scope go with the flattop for 799. There are to many options to list. That is the great thing about an AR. I am far from being an expert, I just know what I like.

JC

Does the one for 949 have a detachabe carry handle or is it part of the upper?

I picked up a detachable carry handle with rear iron sight for $30. I also got a ProMag flip up rear sight for $50. Right now my AR wears the detachable handle, but when I find the right scope (or red dot) I will use the scope and flip up iron sight.

Some flip up rear sights will run $100+ but I am very happy with the ProMag.

Guest Nik

I have shot both guns and they are very nice. I would go with the optic-ready M&P for less money. There are so many sight options that the money you save can be spent on getting exactly what you want, whether that be a EOTech, Aimpoint, scope, or irons.

Regardless of what you choose, you are going to end up with a nice gun.

Enjoy!

I know there a several AR threads, but this would be my first and am not real familiar with advantages of all the different technology. Of course price point comes into play.

the CDNN web store has M&P rifles (AR15 .223/5.56?) for pretty good deal. 799 Optic ready or 949 for the carry handle and sights. 18 Free Mags with them. OR

SigSauer 556 rifle and a free Sig 556 .22lr.

I know the Sig costs more, probably double the S&W? The price is not posted. Not certain if it is really worth it, but I know you are getting the other rifle included as well.

So, the dilemma is s&W for less money and 18 mags or 2 rifles for more money?

The warranty on the S&W is lifetime i believe. I am sure both are good guns, but wanted to see what those who own them or both would comment on the deal from CDNN?

Thanks.

JC

I personally would go with the optics-ready version and use the money toward an optic, too. If you go with the optics-ready version, you will not have a front sight on the gas block. You can get decent flip-up front and rear sights for the additional $150, plus you could choose to go with a red dot or holosight for not too much more than that. Getting the carry handle later is fairly cheap, so you can always add that later. My suggestion is to figure out what type of sight you want for the immediate future and then add other options later.

The optics ready model is definitely a good deal, you can add some Magpul flip up sights to it.

Even if you add an optic it's still a good idea to have irons as a backup if you're concerned about zombies or TEOTWAWKI or stuff like that.

I personally would go with the optics-ready version and use the money toward an optic, too. If you go with the optics-ready version, you will not have a front sight on the gas block. You can get decent flip-up front and rear sights for the additional $150, plus you could choose to go with a red dot or holosight for not too much more than that. Getting the carry handle later is fairly cheap, so you can always add that later. My suggestion is to figure out what type of sight you want for the immediate future and then add other options later.

Thanks. What is a good inexpensive beginner optic that functions well? They have reticles, scopes..holograph too expensive right now. Still have to buy ammo...lol. And that is another topic. what ammo to get? When I get all this stuff, going to have to find someone in the Knoxville area to help me out with it.

Thanks again.

I like my Vortex Strikefire. I would have bought the Vortex SPARC had it been available at the time. Disregard their prices, you can find better prices at Optics Planet.

Vortex Optics - Red Dot Scopes

ETA: As far as ammo goes, I use whatever 5.56mm I can find. Federal XM193 or XM855, Privi Partizan has worked well for me too. I don't use Wolf or any of the steel cased stuff but that's just me. I usually buy in bulk, better deals to be had by the thousand. Walmart Federal .223 works just fine too but it smells like cat piss.

Edited by JeffL
Thanks. What is a good inexpensive beginner optic that functions well? They have reticles, scopes..holograph too expensive right now. Still have to buy ammo...lol. And that is another topic. what ammo to get? When I get all this stuff, going to have to find someone in the Knoxville area to help me out with it.

Thanks again.

I really like my Bushnell Holosight, but it is no longer made. You can find them from time to time. I paid $200 for mine and you can still find them for that or a little more if you look hard. It is (as I understand it) the same as an EOTech, but without the protective cover. If you don't bang it around ALOT, it is fine. Mine performed perfectly through CIS's Defensive Carbine class last year, so I know it will take some abuse without any problems.

Bushnell 510023 All Riflescopes - Sports Optics

If you want an AR, and a near exact copy to have as a training rifle, then the Sig 556 combo would be good. If you want complete compatability with all aftermarket AR15 products, and a true AR15 then go with a S&W.

I've owned a carbine M&P15 and had no complaints whatsoever. I have a couple recommendations:

The M&P15T as it is a midlength carbine with troy flip up sights and a troy rail (pretty sure rail is Troy also). It is ready to go, you just need an optic later. I think S&W is offering 5 free magazines as a promotion right now.

Maybe a Stag piston carbine as they are in the same ball park price wise.

Ruger SR556 if you can swing $1500, it's a piston gun and is ready to go and comes with everything you need except an optic. Troy sights, troy rail, houge grip, 3 Magpul mags, case, cleaning kit, etc.

Either way don't get a carry handle gun. It's better to start with a flat top unless for some reason you actually think you're going to use the handle. Either way I'd get a flat top and buy a detachable handle. Adding optics is tougher with a carry handle gun and I really think they are difficult to be accurate with when your sight is so high above the barrel.

You can't go wrong with S&W though, they are awesome, reliable, durable AR15's. Buy a basic carbine and build slowly, or get the M&P15T and you're pretty much there. Bud's has the M&P15T for around $1200 btw.

Also, I live in Knoxville and would be glad to help you out on your search. PM me with any questions. If you're going to buy locally I'll tell you the best places. Please PM me before you walk into Coal Creek Armory and get hosed....lol

Edited by Kenstaroni

Thank you sir for all the information. No Coal Creek ever again...NEVER..they are they worst. I am probably going to order from CDNN...799 with 18 mags for SW&MP

I will probably get a simple optic for it as well...next is ammo. :) I will need some help with siting it properly.

If you want an AR, and a near exact copy to have as a training rifle, then the Sig 556 combo would be good. If you want complete compatability with all aftermarket AR15 products, and a true AR15 then go with a S&W.

I've owned a carbine M&P15 and had no complaints whatsoever. I have a couple recommendations:

The M&P15T as it is a midlength carbine with troy flip up sights and a troy rail (pretty sure rail is Troy also). It is ready to go, you just need an optic later. I think S&W is offering 5 free magazines as a promotion right now.

Maybe a Stag piston carbine as they are in the same ball park price wise.

Ruger SR556 if you can swing $1500, it's a piston gun and is ready to go and comes with everything you need except an optic. Troy sights, troy rail, houge grip, 3 Magpul mags, case, cleaning kit, etc.

Either way don't get a carry handle gun. It's better to start with a flat top unless for some reason you actually think you're going to use the handle. Either way I'd get a flat top and buy a detachable handle. Adding optics is tougher with a carry handle gun and I really think they are difficult to be accurate with when your sight is so high above the barrel.

You can't go wrong with S&W though, they are awesome, reliable, durable AR15's. Buy a basic carbine and build slowly, or get the M&P15T and you're pretty much there. Bud's has the M&P15T for around $1200 btw.

Also, I live in Knoxville and would be glad to help you out on your search. PM me with any questions. If you're going to buy locally I'll tell you the best places. Please PM me before you walk into Coal Creek Armory and get hosed....lol

Call Mike's gun shop in Tazewell, TN before you order. See what he can do for you. His prices are really reasonable and since he has a store in Middlesboro, KY, he has told me he can ship to your FFL in TN and get around the taxes. If not, KY taxes are less if you just go pick up what you want. Tell him the best price you have found and see if he can match or beat it. He's a great guy and I'd rather give him the business than an online store. He will usually do cost and 10%.

Good luck!

BTW: I just listed 520 rounds of .223 ammo in the Gear section if you need some to get you started.