walther pk vs. ppk

Guest last1is4me

Guest last1is4me

What are the differences in the walther pk version and the ppk version? I have been seeing that the ppk is always priced about $150 higher so figured it must have some added features.Thanks

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest last1is4me

I was looking at the local shop and they had a pk380 and a ppk and the ppk was higher and I ask the counter person some questions, but he didnt know the differences. I want the best gun for my money. Anyone have any dealings with the walther pk380?

“South Middle Tennessee†that means you can’t be very far from Hero Gear in Winchester. Might want to check them out and let them show you what they have.

If you ask a question and they can’t answer it; ask to talk to Joe. :confused:

+1 on Hero Gear to check out. The PK380 is a polymer gum. The PPK is a proven 70 year old desigh and a all metal gun, (= Higher cost due to machining). I have a all

stainless PPK/s that I love. It was the premeir BUG for years.

The PK380 is brand new and the jury is still out on that with mixed reviews.

Guest Sgt. Joe

Just what R1100R said.

I also have them both. The PPK380 is an all metal gun and has been called the James Bond gun. It was originally made in Germany only and then by Interarms in the US, then Smith got the contract and they have been making them since.

My PPK is also stainless and I love it as it is very highly accurate even out to the 25 yard max of my indoor range....IT amazes me. It was also my first gun so it has special meaning to me in those regards.

Now the PK380 is.... as was said a polymer gun that was built with the same design as Walther's P22 .22 cal gun that was highly popular. It is much lighter due to the polymer and is much thinner. It has virtually the same recoil feel as the P22 while the PPK even being heavier can tend to bite into you after a while at the range due to the design of the edges of the dove tail.

I like the PK for what it is period. A little 380, with very little recoil. It is not near as accurate as the PPK and has a feature that is very annoying (to me anyway) in that it comes with a little tool that must be used to break it down, I dont care for that in the least and every time I think about it I remember that I have failed to remember to order a spare little tool for it.:wall:

I have the .22 cal P22 and it seems those are like day and night, half the folks who have them think they are garbage and can not get them to feed anything and the other half have no problems at all with theirs. I was one of the later and really liked the P22 for plinking so I was interested in the PK when it came out because as I said they are so nearly identical that if you laid them side by side without any markings you could not tell them apart.

While my all metal PPK remains a sometimes BUG the PK has been regulated to the safe for several reasons, none to do with trusting it to go bang, it actually holds more rounds than the PPK. But the PK when carried cocked and locked in my preferred belly band will poke me as the hammer remains in the rear position and it is what pokes me. Another reason it stays in the safe is that mine is a First Edition version and there were only 2000 worldwide of those sold, I was able to get it for the price of a standard version, as they did want a bit more for a First Edition. It came with a larger (too large) box, an extra mag and a cute but cheap little holster with the PK380 markings on it, the gun also has First Edition written on it. All of which is pretty much irrelevant to me.:doh: Other than that there is no difference from a standard version. I shot enough rounds thru it to make sure it would most likely work and then figured out it poked me too much so I cleaned it up and put it up. The PPK has a DE-cocking device that puts the hammer forward and it does not poke me when carried that way.

I also feel the PPK even being heavier makes a better Pocket carry gun.

The last and most important reason the PK stays in the safe is that I also traded another gun with Hero Gear (a BIG + for them:cool:) for a Sig P238-380 that is much smaller than either the PPK or PK and it has become my primary BUG.

If I was faced today with which one to buy I think I would lean to the PPK because it is a time proven design that Smith only changed a little.

But the extra rounds, lighter weight and lower price of the PK makes it also appealing. If I had to pick just one of the two it would be the six round PPK for all the reasons mentioned. If I just had to have one today and only had the funds for the PK I would buy it.

I feel they are both pretty much worth the asking price but the PPK could be a bit cheaper. I feel we are paying for that proven design and the James Bond association with the gun, even though I always thought the Bond gun was a .32 and not a 380?

If funds were not a problem I would just get the Sig from the get go.:P