Question for Memphis TGOer's

Heading your way this Memorial Day weekend and might be staying at the KOA in west Memphis. Do they have any restrictions on carry? I looked at their web site and did not see anything. Any help would be appreciated

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators
Why don't they just rename their town and stop bothering us with that and their myriad of other disfunctions?!

Yeah, I'd really appreciate it if they would keep all of their damn tweakers on their side of the river and out of my Walgreens.

Guest 270win

I'll just say this (and yes i'm biased b/c i'm originally from Little Rock)...we consider West Memphis the armpit of Arkansas. If you've never been there you will find out when you go to the KOA.

If you are not from there....you will be 'on a journey' and honestly don't need a concealed handgun license/handgun carry permit when staying at the KOA or traveling through West Memphis b/c you are away from your circle of friends....I carried in West Memphis several years before ever getting a license in Arkansas legally...and you'll find out why a lot of folks are 'on a journey' when they go there....if on a journey you have no restrictions pretty much and can carry pretty much anywhere....you can carry any sort of 'weapon' when on a 'journey' in Arkansas...switchblades, clubs, handguns, etc....Long guns are not 'weapons' in Arkansas and may be carried however you wish.

Now really...you can on your license carry in restaurants that serve alcohol...that's kind of nice because there is an Outback in West Memphis....other than that...be kind of careful where you go there...there is no law against consuming liquor while carrying in Arkansas...but if you DWI..public intox while carrying...your license/permit can be revoked.

If you like a loaded and chambered long gun...Arkansas is the place to do it...no license/permit needed to do that...put it in your car...your luggage...on the front seat....wherever....stay safe and avoid the truck stop areas at night...there are some wierdos...if you can...go up to Marion..it is a lot nicer than West Memphis if you need to get a bite to eat..there is a good Tops BBQ in Marion..and some other places like a little grocery store by the Tops....gas stations up in Marion...Marion is pretty clean.

Edited by 270win
Guest 270win

5-73-120. Carrying a weapon.

(a) A person commits the offense of carrying a weapon if he or she possesses a handgun,

knife, or club on or about his or her person, in a vehicle occupied by him or her, or

otherwise readily available for use with a purpose to employ the handgun, knife, or club

as a weapon against a person.

(

:D As used in this section:

(1) “Club†means any instrument that is specially designed, made, or adapted for

the purpose of inflicting serious physical injury or death by striking, including a

blackjack, billie, and sap;

(2) “Handgun†means any firearm with a barrel length of less than twelve inches

(12″) that is designed, made, or adapted to be fired with one (1) hand; and

(3) (A) “Knife†means any bladed hand instrument that is capable of inflicting

serious physical injury or death by cutting or stabbing.

(

B) “Knife†includes a dirk, sword or spear in a cane, razor, ice pick,

throwing star, switchblade, and butterfly knife.

© It is a defense to a prosecution under this section that at the time of the act of carrying

a weapon:

(1) The person is in his or her own dwelling, place of business, or on property in

which he or she has a possessory or proprietary interest;

(4) The person is carrying a weapon when upon a journey, unless the journey is

through a commercial airport when presenting at the security checkpoint in the airport or

is in the person's checked baggage and is not a lawfully declared weapon;

I'll just say this (and yes i'm biased b/c i'm originally from Little Rock)...we consider West Memphis the armpit of Arkansas. If you've never been there you will find out when you go to the KOA.

If you are not from there....you will be 'on a journey' and honestly don't need a concealed handgun license/handgun carry permit when staying at the KOA or traveling through West Memphis b/c you are away from your circle of friends....I carried in West Memphis several years before ever getting a license in Arkansas legally...and you'll find out why a lot of folks are 'on a journey' when they go there....if on a journey you have no restrictions pretty much and can carry pretty much anywhere....you can carry any sort of 'weapon' when on a 'journey' in Arkansas...switchblades, clubs, handguns, etc....Long guns are not 'weapons' in Arkansas and may be carried however you wish.

Now really...you can on your license carry in restaurants that serve alcohol...that's kind of nice because there is an Outback in West Memphis....other than that...be kind of careful where you go there...there is no law against consuming liquor while carrying in Arkansas...but if you DWI..public intox while carrying...your license/permit can be revoked.

If you like a loaded and chambered long gun...Arkansas is the place to do it...no license/permit needed to do that...put it in your car...your luggage...on the front seat....wherever....stay safe and avoid the truck stop areas at night...there are some wierdos...if you can...go up to Marion..it is a lot nicer than West Memphis if you need to get a bite to eat..there is a good Tops BBQ in Marion..and some other places like a little grocery store by the Tops....gas stations up in Marion...Marion is pretty clean.

Boy howdie thanks for the advice. I've never been to Memphis looks like my first time is going to be a treat.