LDA vs. SA

Guest supergus

Guest supergus

I've owned several handguns in the past but had never gotten to learn the ins and outs of them. My question (concern really) is this: I'm looking for a 4" 1911. I just started checking out the Para .45acp LDA as well as the colt XSE .45acp lightweight Commander. Now, in a carry situation, with a SA is it possible for the hammer to catch and then release, causing an AD? I thought it was possible so I started checking out the Para LDA, which leads me to my next thought. Despite the flush hammer is it possible, due to the lighter DA trigger pull, that upon reholstering an AD could result? I hope I'm being clear about my concerns; any feedback would be appreciated. I know correct gun handling comes into play but I thought I might be missing some other input. BTW just got settled in scenic Sneedville:D so I'm hoping to run into a few of you guys and gals.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AFAIK, not unless the thumb safety is off, the grip safety is depressed, and the gun is defective. How you like Sneedville? A friend of mine at work lives up that way somewhere. ;)

for the SA to have a AD several will have to happen namely all the safeties disengaged and hammer fully back. i have never known one to operate from a half cocked position. the LDA has all the safteies of the SA with much longer trigger pull and hammer down. it will also not fire unless the trigger is fully pulled. mine (LDA) would jam up the action when i would short stoke it.

but i am no expert.

Guest supergus

Thanks guys! dotsun- love Sneedville, especially the scenery. It's a little remote. The hardest thing to deal with is driving an hour for a good gun shop.

The SA trigger pull in my opinion feels better than any LDA. The real only plus I saw was carrying a 1911 with no exposed hammer. Made my father in law feel a bit better...now I just keep my cover shirt on and he's none the wiser.

Now, in a carry situation, with a SA is it possible for the hammer to catch and then release, causing an AD?quote]

About the only way this will happen is if the shooter disengages the manual safety before the gun leaves the holster; the grip safety will disengage, by default, when the shooter gets a grip on the gun (at draw), so the only other issue is the timing of flipping the manual safety.

Guest supergus

So essentially it all comes down to how well I handle the gun especially at presentation. As long as the I don't disengage the safety till after I clear the holster, there's no issue. I'll have to try both to see what trigger pull I like better. I do like the idea of not having a hammer to snag though. Thanks for all the replies.

Guest Mugster

Yeah, that is correct imo.

When you draw a SA pistol, including a 1911 in condition 1, your thumb should be on top of the safety and your finger off the trigger. Once you are on target, you flip off the safety and achieve your firing grip and then you put your finger on the trigger.

Guest theolog
The SA trigger pull in my opinion feels better than any LDA.

I agree. I always wanted an LDA 1911 until I dry fired one!

supergun, for either model, flip the tumb safety back on and ADs while re-holstering should be darn near impossible.

I thought that it didn't get any better than my SA, until I played with and then bought my first Para LDA. I was wanting something officer size and the CCO model fit perfect. The LDA trigger is awesome, especially for those of us who have to carry a Glock most all the time. +1 for the AD info regarding the safeties.

Guest ETS_Inc

I've been carrying an LDA for almost 4 years now. I love the trigger, and have never had an issue with it short-stroking or failing to reset. It's a great gun.

I've actually owned three of them over the years. My first was a Para-Companion C7/45 LDA. It's been my carry gun since the spring of '04. Once the ban expired, I went ahead and bought a Stealth Hi-Cap 14/45, and then the Colonel, Para's 4.25" 14/45 LDA with the SpecOps green finish (the stopped marketing it last year). I loved both guns, but honestly, the grips were a bit for a carry gun IMO. When I was putting together money to buy the business, I decided to sell those. But, I can't see me ever selling the C7/45.

Guest supergus

Yeah, I have to admit the Para Tac Four gives me a warm fuzzy feeling but I have yet to shoot one. I'm trying to find time to head over to Kenneth Bussell's in Tazewell to see what kind of yummy stuff he has:drool:. Anyone dealt with him before? He's about the closest to me (and Smoky Mountain Outfitters) but he seems to have better prices than SMO.