Home Safety - Read if you have a Garage

Garage doors are very easy targets for the BG.

I knew ( or had already heard about ) not leaving the ''pull rope'' attached to the automatic garage door, but the zip tie of the latch was new to me.

The following was received in an email today:

GOOD INFORMATION!

After our home inspection the inspector noted that our garage door had a dent in it. In the garage last night talking about it and trying to figure out how it got a dent in it. Finally figured out someone tried to break in.

Then I searched YouTube and found the below video. Please watch it.

I took the pull string off of ours and zip tied the lever up to the slider.

Now you have to cut the zip tie in order to release the lever. We also physically lock the garage when we leave town.

T&R

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine doesn't have windows in it so it would be a little harder to feel for the switch. I also have my garage door connected to my alarm system. The guy selling me my system said that people don't normally do that. I said I didn't care what most people do and if he wanted to sell me a system that it would include the garage door connection. If he wouldn't do it then another company would. He did!

Guest Boomhower
no opener on mine.

nobidy is pulling mine up without inside info.

And none of you, except for about three of you qualify for that info.

I"ve seen it from the inside!!! ;)

Guest gw2and4

Thanks for the reminder.

A good, low-cost trick to "lock" your garage when you leave town is to take a philips head screwdriver, place it through a hole in the track directly above one of the door's rollers (if you have no extra holes, drill one). Pull it through until the handle of the screwdriver is against the rail on the inside, and clamp some vise-grips on the outside to keep it from being backed out (either by itself or with help). Just remember you've done this so when you pull up to the house at 4AM after several days away and a 14-hour drive that you don't hit the opener button by mistake! ;) If you can't remember not to hit the button when you get back--unplug your opener while this poor-man's lock is in place. I think most everyone has these tools laying around their garage...

Guest jackdm3
Mine doesn't have windows in it so it would be a little harder to feel for the switch. I also have my garage door connected to my alarm system. The guy selling me my system said that people don't normally do that. I said I didn't care what most people do and if he wanted to sell me a system that it would include the garage door connection. If he wouldn't do it then another company would. He did!

We had our prospective alarm company give us a quote for wiring every door and window on our 1 story. They said $700. Quietly, I was excited, but I said, "Ohhhh, I don't knowwww. OK, but only if that includes wiring the windows at both ends of the house and the attic pull-down door." That was a deal!

Guest boatme99
Thanks for the reminder.

A good, low-cost trick to "lock" your garage when you leave town is to take a philips head screwdriver, place it through a hole in the track directly above one of the door's rollers (if you have no extra holes, drill one). Pull it through until the handle of the screwdriver is against the rail on the inside, and clamp some vise-grips on the outside to keep it from being backed out (either by itself or with help). Just remember you've done this so when you pull up to the house at 4AM after several days away and a 14-hour drive that you don't hit the opener button by mistake! :up: If you can't remember not to hit the button when you get back--unplug your opener while this poor-man's lock is in place. I think most everyone has these tools laying around their garage...

In th Olden Days, we just slipped the U part of an exhaust clamp through the hole. :)