Finally found Hornady Critical Defense 9mm & .45

I went to Dicks to pick up a air mattress for my kids camping trip and the shelves were bare. I then went across the street to wallyworld and picked up my six box limit of Federal 9mm ammo. I figured while I was out I would call my gun store across town just to inquire about their in stock defensive ammo. The clerk tells me that they have the HCD in stock so I rush over. They only had five boxes of .45 and six boxes of 9mm so you know that I had to have them all.

I have been trying to get the 9mm for over a year and I had not heard of anyone even having the .45 so I am feeling really good right now. I am going to see if the CD is worthy of replacing my Remington golden sabres.

If anyone has been using this ammo, please give me some feedback. Thanks.

Linsk2k

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive run several rounds of CD through my EDC (.45)....runs smooth as silk. also ran a few through my Rock Island Officers model....again....smooth as silk.

The wife uses CD in her EDC (9mm)...its good stuff and feeds great.

Arms-Fair in Cordova has CD in .38, .357, 9mm, .40, and .45 at the moment. And some 10mm in Hornady Custom (not CD)

Is Arms fair on Trinity Rd? If I am going north on G'town do I make a left on Trinity to get there? Thanks

I saw CD tested on one of the gun shows on television. The rounds consistantly expanded the same no matter what material that they were shot thru. Impressive!

I think I saw the same show and I'm pretty sure they only shot .380s.

Also, it may not matter, but that show was also sponsored by Hornady.

9mm and .45 CD may be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but with so many other proven rounds out there (at the same or cheaper prices), I don't understand the attraction to something relatively untested.

To each his own (that's what makes this gun-thing fun), but I'll stick with Gold Dot, Ranger-T, etc. until there is more unbiased testing of CD.

I hope CD turns out to be a great round in all calibers...I just tend to play "wait and see" when it comes to my SD ammo.

PS. There have also been a lot of internet reports about dud primers and ignition failures with Critical Defense ammo, FWIW.

Edited by TN-popo
Guest bcbulldog78

PS. There have also been a lot of internet reports about dud primers and ignition failures with Critical Defense ammo, FWIW.

That is why I have been hesitant to get any more of the ammo. I bought a couple of boxes of the .380 and my keltec doesn't like it. It shoots Remington GS and Speer GD without hesitation but it hangs up at least once per mag with the Hornady CD.