$200 scope for a AR-15

OK guys and gals, I'm looking for my 1st scope for my AR-15 and would like to shoot out from 100 - 400 yards, kinda of looking for a top quality $200 scope to mount on my AR and in the future mounting it on a Rem 700 .308 before I take the plunge into a $1000 dollar scope. So far the best I've found is a Bushnell 3200 Elite in that price rang, looking for a basic mil dot rectacle and looking for reviews or other suggestions... Thanks for the reply's in advance.......... COOP

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The best way to shop for a scope is this. Figure out what you must have like mildot, target turrets, lit reticle, etc. Only buy a scope with what you need. Do not get caught up in buying a scope with ALL the bells and whistles because when you do the cost savings by the maker turns what appears to be a decent scope into a pile of junk. They use subpar materials to make up the cost of all those addititional features they add to make them more appealing.

If all you need is mildots you can get a decent piece of glass for $200 then. It sounds like you are wanting to see if you like using mildots before buying a higher end scope. I can say I never thought I would like or need a mildot scope. Since buying one I can't imagine being without one. They are easy to use for both ranging and holdover.

There are several brands, including Bushnell, in that price range that are great.

Mueller

Simmons

Vortex

Hawke

Here are a few I would highly recommend:

Mueller 4.5-14x40 All Purpose Tactical 30mm Riflescope

Simmons 4-14x44 Aetec Master Series Rifle Scope

Simmons 6-21x44 .44 Mag Rifle Scope

SWFA Riflescopes Hawke Riflescopes Hawke Varmint II Riflescopes

Vortex seems to be the flavor right now but I have not owned one yet. I have owned several Simmons, a few Muellers and a Hawke, they are about the same quality for the price. It is just a matter of finding one that has what you are looking for. I have a Hawke Varminter that gets used a lot and it is a great scope for the money. I have had Muellers in the past and they were great as well. Both tracked well and held zero.

If it were me spending the money I would get the Mueller because I have had Muellers in the past and have really liked them. Also, it is the only one with a 30mm tube which is generally stronger and gives you more adjustment range which is what you would need for the longer shot. I have not heard one single owner complain about these either.

BRANDS TO AVOID IN THE $200 RANGE:

NcStar

Barska

Leapers

BSA

Sightmark

The reason to avoid these is for the reasons mentioned above, they generally have all the bells and whistles like mildot, target turret, illumination, mounts, lens covers and a few other items. All these add cost but reduce the quality of the actual scope.

Dolomite

SWFA has an excellent reputation, however in the price range your looking at your only going to find their cheaper scopes with fixed powers.

I have to disagree a little with the post above by Dolomite about Sightmark. I agree with him on all the other brands, however I run Sightmarks on everything I own except for an Eotech on one rifle. I have a couple of thier reflex sights ($45 and they have held up on a 12ga Saiga), a 1.5-5x30 on one rifle, and I've had a couple of the 8.5-25x50's. They are all part of thier triple duty line and have a tactical look and features on them. The 8.5-25x50 is a little overkill for an AR, but for $200 it comes with a mil-dot reticle that's illuminated in green and red, adjustable turrets, etc.

The 1.5-5x30 is actually my favorite. It has an amazingly large field of view and is very clear. It's not illuminated, but it shares similar features with the other triple duty scopes. I picked it up for $120. Add a Burris PEPR mount for about $80 and you'll have a fantastic setup for $200.00

Sightmark may be in the price range of a Leapers or NC Star, but the quality, although also made in China, is far better. The 8.5-25x50's have been on .308's and have never had an issue.

A lot of the 3 gun guys run Simmons shotgun scopes. They are about $60, but people swear by them religously as the best and only inexpensive scope to buy for an AR for close-medium range shooting.

Midway carries some of the Sightmarks and there are coupons on the net right now for $15 off a purchase of $100 or more and $25 off a purchase of $200 or more.

Good luck!

Edited by Kenstaroni