Gun safe mounting

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Concrete contains moisture. IF you use a cutting torch to cut a piece of steel lying on concrete, the heat from the torch will cause the water in the concrete to turn to steam and blast a chunk of concrete off of the surface. Got the scar to prove it. :up:

If you spill a liquid on the floor at the floor/safe interface, capillary action will wick moisture back under the safe.

My safe is sitting on the wood pallet it was delivered on. It also makes it much easier to move the safe again with a pallet jack.

Guest DeadEye

Well, now you all have me Wondering!

My Safe was delivered and bolted in Concrete by Randy in Trenton and he simply cut the Carpet underneath safe about 1 inch circle and then drilled the bolts in the concrete.

I would never have it mounted on a pallet or wood, since it case of a pallet,the bolts are in about 2 in of wood and can the be cut easy and then safe can be moved.

Guest Bronker
Well, now you all have me Wondering!

My Safe was delivered and bolted in Concrete by Randy in Trenton and he simply cut the Carpet underneath safe about 1 inch circle and then drilled the bolts in the concrete.

I would never have it mounted on a pallet or wood, since it case of a pallet,the bolts are in about 2 in of wood and can the be cut easy and then safe can be moved.

I hear you, Eye, but I figure a man dedicated enough to break in past my alarm system, cut through the wood and bolts under my safe, and haul off 1,000+ lbs of safe / contents, etc. is pretty persistent, and is otherwise hell-bent on destruction. He can have my safe if he wants it that bad!:)

Guest 1010011010

I suppose it depends why you have a safe and why you're bolting it down. If you've just got it to keep kids out and you're bolting it down so it can't get tipped over on someone, sure, put some spacers in there if you want.

If you're actually concerned about someone breaking into the safe or stealing it, putting wooden spacers is going to compromise the security far more than a little bit of corrosion. Get a wiresaw in there and cut through the bolts without having to damage the floor or the safe. Then you can move it to get better access/leverage or just take the whole thing and crack it at your leisure.

Guest DeadEye
I suppose it depends why you have a safe and why you're bolting it down. If you've just got it to keep kids out and you're bolting it down so it can't get tipped over on someone, sure, put some spacers in there if you want.

If you're actually concerned about someone breaking into the safe or stealing it, putting wooden spacers is going to compromise the security far more than a little bit of corrosion. Get a wiresaw in there and cut through the bolts without having to damage the floor or the safe. Then you can move it to get better access/leverage or just take the whole thing and crack it at your leisure.

I agree 100% with the above! One always hears stories about a safe no matter if 1500 pounds simply being put on a 2 wheeler or such and easily moved.

Also in my case it is in a room which is climate controlled and in safe is a goldenroad, so i am not worried in least!