Reloading... Turtle Speed.

Well I think I'll take the opposite approach of most beginners and aim to reload as slow as possible. Heck, I don't shoot all that much centerfire at the range. I think it would be fun to work up some different .38 spl loads and test them... maybe make my own wadcutters.

I'm thinking along the lines of a Lee Hand Press Kit. Under $40.. seems like it's consistent with the whole point of reloading.

I don't mind it being slow and I like the idea of reloading in my living room. I'm going to pick up a few reloading manuals, digital caliper, and a set of 38spl/357 carbide dies.

What else do I really need? What else should I really want? I'm talking baby steps, here.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started with and still use a Lee Anniversary Kit, cost about $85 at Midsouth Shooters Supply when I purchased it. It came with everthing I needed except calipers, dies, brass, bullets and powder/primers.

I like it because it is very easy to inspect each and every round during each step of production. Because of this I think I have been much safer in producing ammo.

Good luck in getting started reloading.

Guest Gopher6

IMHO, bad idea.

The first thing I tell anyone starting to reload is to get a copy of the "ABC's of Reloading" and read it cover to cover.

Reloading is a longterm hobby and one you can drop a boatload of money into. Alot of people just aren't wired to accept the attention to detail, the concentration certain steps take to make sure you don't hurt yourself and the record keeping that makes reloading worthwhile.

The Lee kit you're looking at is great if you want to be able to remove lug nuts bear handed. Resizing cases with that will grow old super fast. Start out with one of the many "starter kits" the name brand manufacturers offer. It'll cost more, but it'll last forever and no matter how many reloads you eventually make, you'll be able to use some items from that kit. And you can go as slow as you want.

Forget about reloading in the living room unless you live alone. You need a place with no distractions, it's possible to double or triple charge a .38 of .357 case, either one will put an eye out. The only thing I can do in the living room is prime cases.

Guest Conrad

The only place i have to reload is my living room. I have my press, powder measure, and case trimmer mounted to a Black and Decker Workmate. i keep all of my supplies in a stanley mobile work center which is a rolling tool box you can get at walmart for under 50 dollars i think. For a top on the work mate i clamped a 2x6 between the jaws and bolted a 18x24 piece of 3/4 inch plywood for the top.

there is plenty of room for loading block and scale. although i use a lyman dpsII digital scale/dispencer that i put on the kitchen counter to put powder in the cases then take them back to the bench for bullet seating. I usually do my reloading after the kids are in bed or when i have some time when no one else is home. The lyman dpsII is a little touchy and dont like alot of vibration or breeze from the vent. I have had no trouble getting quality reloads within a limited amount of space. JUst in case you are wondering My press is an old Pacific i got from my uncle for free when he upgraded to a lock-n-load, trimmer is a Redding lathe (hand powered) there is also a Hornady manual powder measure mounted on the top. I also recommend you get a kit from Hornady or RCBS and read as many reloading manuals and internet sites about reloading as you can and ask lots of questions to other reloaders. If there is any other questions just pm me and i will try to answer them

Good Luck on your reloading>

I have used a Lee Classic handloader for .45 autos and 357mag/.38. it worked really well. but is kind of tedious.

I bagged the .45 auto and now only do .357's. What I handload is accurate and it is cheaper. Takes a little time, but my time is free for me.

As far as a store bought book to do this? Waste of cash, plenty of free info available from of all places, the internet.

PS: to add, I did buy a Lee tool for priming the cases. I did not care for the hammering method needed to set primers in the Lee Classic.

Edited by Mike.357
Guest tnvolfan

Hi Byrnemm,

I would really like to recommend that you find a reloading class in your area and find out if there's someone who perhaps teaches in their home or where-ever. I say this because I was taught by a member of my Sunday school class, and he let me become familiar with his press before I invested in my own. I learned on a Dillon 550B, and everyone I talked to told me to not waste my money on the other stuff but start out with something that would be a positive step and investment. I know this might offend some other folks on this forum, and I salute those who have learned much "the hard way." Learning on a Dillon was the right thing for me. It also really helps to make some local friends who can actually show you a thing or two and be available for helping to answer questions about reloading. The ABCs of Reloading is excellent, but sometimes using the "hands on" technique of learning is good, too. Ask about a reloading class at some of your local gun shops. It would be worth your time and money to do this.

I wouldn't go for the hand press. you can get the Lee 50th kit for under 100. All you need in addition is manual, the dies, primers, bullets, and some powder.

Easily one of the most cost effective kits out there to date

Edited by Mike
Guest Lester Weevils

I reload at turtle speed with a progressive press. Using a hand press or single-stage, it would slow down to glacial speed. Not everybody is naturally slow, though. :D

I've used the Lee Single Stage since I started reloading 2 1/2 years ago. Works great. I load 9mm, .38spl, .357 mag, .40, .45 acp, .44spl, and 44 mag, with it. I was given a Lee Pro 1000 progressive back in December but have loaded less than 100 rounds with it. I still prefer the single stage.

Here is a nice clean set up with a single stage on it. I have a great thread tucked away somewhere with a bunch of cool setups on it. One I remember a guy went to home depot and bought some floor model kitchen base cabinets. He put a small counter top between 2 of them and mounted his press on it. Total width was about 5 feet. He made it easy to pull the press off and used it as a food/beverage bar whenever he had guests over.

DIY Ammunition Reloading Bench

Also, scroll down to the bottom of this page and look at the tool box. Very handy if a bit industrial looking

Pictures of your reloading bench/equipment - Page 6 - TheFiringLine Forums

I wouldn't go for the hand press. you can get the Lee 50th kit for under 100. All you need in addition is manual, the dies, primers, bullets, and some powder.

Easily one of the most cost effective kits out there to date

Yep. I recommend the 50th kit, too. I've reloaded thousands of rounds of 9mm & 45 with no issues.

Guest FroggyOne2

When I first started reloading.. I did it all in the kitchen. Now, in the apt that I have.. it is in the Master Bedroom!

Guest Archminister01

I started with the Lee Classic turret press and have since moved up to a Lee Loadmaster. This is much to the chagrin of many folks I have talked to, yet i have reloaded at least a thousand rounds of ammunition in .38spl, .357mag, .40s&w, .45acp and .223rem on both presses and have stayed consistently within SAAMI spec with close tolerances. Just take you time, pay attention and as others have said keep record of what you are doing. Someday I will possibly get the Dillon 1050 that I want, but for know I have been happy with my Lee equipment. Proper setup and know how has been crucial. Have fun and enjoy! I know have enjoyed reloading...its relaxing and gives me an excuse to get away from my wife..lol. Did i just say that out loud?

Guest Archminister01

Hey dlm37015,

I am new to Tennessee and I was wondering how far you are from Chattanooga? I am starting to get pretty serious about my reloading...its ADDICTING! and i was wondering if I could meet with ya? I am always looking for more experienced folks to learn from.

Guest ajf700

I have made a bench out of 2x4's from Home Depot. They have the Framing studs for less than $3. Then grab a nice piece of plywood and slap it all together. I have a Rockchucker 4 and a MEC mounted on it. Will send pics if yall want to see it.