Preparation on a budget

I saw this on another forum and dont recall seeing one like it here so I though I would start a thread on it. Post up places that sell dry food for cheap, ideas for storage, etc. If you do only $10-$20 every paycheck it wont take long before you have a nice storage.

Here are a few sites I have come across that can help with planning, etc.

Here's a calendar to help you get prepared over a 24 week period. There are many variations of it but the point is to help you buy the things you need and make the other preparations you should make a little at a time so it is not too burdensome financially or otherwise.

http://www.napo-sfba.org/DisasterPreparednessCalendar.pdf

Food Shelf-Life Guide:

StillTasty: Your Ultimate Shelf Life Guide - Save Money, Eat Better, Help The Environment

ETA: If you're staying on a budget, shopping deals, sales, and using coupons is mandatory. Here in the SE, there is an awesome site that acts as a pre-mission briefing on hitting the grocery stores like an apocalyptic commando:

Southern Savers

I know a lot of people know to try Costco, Sams Club, etc, but another good place to shop is Aldis.

ALDI - store locator

The best deal on Rice is at COSTCO, where a 50 lb bag will set you bag a measly $15.00. I've been buying those when I get a chance, and stuffing them in Paint Buckets. At WAL*MART, the 5 gallon plastic paint buckets are approximately $4.00, and can hold roughly 30-35 lbs of rice. The best lids for these buckets are available at Home Depot, as the HD lids have rubber o-rings. If you go to the paint department at WAL*MART, the white 5-gallon buckets ARE food-grade, they're just not marketed as such.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am stepping up to something similar and am going to be storing grains and such for long term. right now i keep a large active pantry of day to day stuff. if i use one i try to buy two the next time kind of thing.

i am trying to get food grade buckets from the baskin robbins and dunkin donuts in my area. gotta retry kroger as well. small savings but at 5 bucks for a bucket, freebies extend the budget.

dont forget water storage as well as most people are severely lacking on that side.

Dunno if there is a bottling plant around you but some places will sell their used 55gal soda syrup barrels for like $10 each. work perfectly and only need to be rinsed out a couple of times to get the syrup out.

thanks for the links!

The LDS have a pdf that details how to prep over the course of one year:

LDS Emergency/disaster Preparedness

(I'm not affiliated in any way with the LDS, just use their manual as a reference)

Anybody know if the Pepsi plant in Collierville sells/gives away their old drums?

For storage I've got these pdf's

http://www.rmcmullen.org/garagesale/Pantry/Canned%2520Food%2520Rotator%2520brochure%25206-1-06.pdf

http://www.rmcmullen.org/garagesale/Pantry/pantry1.pdf

Here is some stuff you might find use for a BUG IN, or short term Bug out or maybe even a budget start up Bug out kit.

Emergency Survival Kits - Home Survival Kits

I am thinking about starting with a 4 person kit for just me and my wife for a bug in kit.

I am thinking when the SHTF, might have to lay low for a couple days before trying to get to a bug out site. It all depends what kind of SHTF

I like that back pack you listed up there. Been looking for a good one. However, I thought someone said to make sure to get a good frame in your backpack but it if it has enough supporting straps and storage I guess it should be fine.

BTW

looking at

http://www.napo-sfba.org/DisasterPreparednessCalendar.pdf

I was showing my wife the list, I used the 1 can of meat as an option, said look at the bottom they show suggestions.

CANNED MEAT: tuna, chicken, raviolis, chili, beef stew, spam, corned beef, etc.

I told her she had better not bring spam to the apocalypse. Spam is like the one meat I never could get used to eating.

Spam is like the one meat I never could get used to eating.

Probably depends on the alternative, eh?

This is really great info! Anyone have suggestions/thoughts about a basic/budget shortwave radio for a SHTF scenario?

Guest HvyMtl

Hmm. Hey Moderators: Perhaps a sticky of the informative sites might be in order? This way you can have links from legit sources (such as governmental sources, known valid survival sites) and not have to have them reposted over and over again?

Ready.gov - Prepare. Plan. Stay Informed. does carry the basics for bug out bags, and family emergency plans for the population. Focus is on short term national disasters (hurricanes and such) but is a good starting place for the beginner.

Short wave radio? Unsure.

Well, I would look at CB radios as more people used CBs, and they are not costly. In addition the hand held ones are more powerful than they used to be... and are easy to carry.

Oh and a comment on the survival kits you have linked. See if you can make your own for less...

Edited by HvyMtl

everyone should consider taking a CPR/First Aid course, part of the Be prepared.

I took one a few months back at my local Red Cross, but I found out Austin's in Oak Ridge also does these courses and probably other places as well.

Should get a couple people in your friend to take some CPR/First Aid training in advance as part of your plans.

Here is a good question, take that 3 day pack listed.

Anyone have a good list of what you could/should really fit in it if packed correctly in it for 3 days?

I am thinking about getting two, 3 day backs to have on Stand by.

wondering if that is the pack I should get or If I should get something else.

At WAL*MART, the 5 gallon plastic paint buckets are approximately $4.00, and can hold roughly 30-35 lbs of rice. The best lids for these buckets are available at Home Depot, as the HD lids have rubber o-rings. If you go to the paint department at WAL*MART, the white 5-gallon buckets ARE food-grade, they're just not marketed as such.

Just wondering, how can you tell if they are FOOD grade?

Tonight I was at home Depot to get some lids, the lids are .98 and they had 5 gallon buckets for 2.50. They are Orange. They seem to have the same marking as the one white one I have from wal mart. I wonder if It would be fine for food/water storage?

From my understanding you are putting rice directly in the bucket. If a person was preparing ahead of time like this and was really concerned they could prepack the rice in ziplock bags. It would take longer to prepare and storage but would give an extra layer of protection to your food if water did get in.

BTW, in the event I had to use for the reason it was storaged I don't think I would suddenly be concerned whether or not it was food grade Plastic.

I picked up some gray buckets from Lowes on clearance for $2.00 ea. To determine if they were food grade I got 1, brought it home and looked up the mfg. Found that they had a FAQ section, and in there they said the buckets were food grade due to using "virgin" plastic, i.e. not recycled.

I do not store "directly" in my buckets, but I have mylar bags that the food goes into. I can then put a seal on the mylar to protect the contents.

Thanks for the tip on the checking for an FAQ. I will try to check these tomorrow.

Since I don't have a lowes that close, it is only .50 cent difference for an every day item. But if I am ever near Lowes I will check.

No problem. Also check out any grocery store that has a bakery. Ask them for their used buckets (frosting and other supplies), sometimes you get some most often you don't.

I lucked out, my wife worked for a small restaurant for a while, we got the used pickle & sauerkraut buckets. Hard to get the vinegar smell out, but more often than not you can get it down to a bearable level by letting them sit out in the sun for a few days.

No problem. Also check out any grocery store that has a bakery. Ask them for their used buckets (frosting and other supplies), sometimes you get some most often you don't.

I lucked out, my wife worked for a small restaurant for a while, we got the used pickle & sauerkraut buckets. Hard to get the vinegar smell out, but more often than not you can get it down to a bearable level by letting them sit out in the sun for a few days.

I wonder if a water and baking soda solution would help get the smell out.

use it for a rain barrel for a season and that would probably do it.

I wonder if a water and baking soda solution would help get the smell out.

use it for a rain barrel for a season and that would probably do it.

Baking soda does work, somewhat, just not completely.

Besides that, since I use a mylar bag inside the bucket, that pretty much blocks all vinegar smells from reaching the food, at least is did with my rice. I put 25lbs of brown rice in a mylar bag, in a 5 gal bucket. Let it set for a year. I'm now using that rice, tastes fine, no vinegar smell at all.

Paracord, seems everyone is always concerned with having a fair amount of the stuff on hand.

I believe I even read a post where someone suggested replacing their boot laces with Paracord any input on that idea?

I was just noticing it Paracord Olive Drab Mil Spec 50 feet and it got me thinking about something I had read a long time ago.

Edit, I found Paracord at http://www.lapolicegear.com/trpa100fole.html 100ft for 5 bucks.

Edited by vontar