Nasa scientists braced for 'solar tsunami' to hit earth

Guest trigem

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bonedaddy

I've seen the aurora 4 times in TN. Once in Memphis. 3 times in Crockett Co. All were pretty weak except one. It put off a fairly large pink, pulsating light that lasted most of the night back in '97, I think. The ole lady and I sat on the hood of my car and watched it for hours.

Guest coldblackwind

So, just out of curiousity oh tinfoil hat gurus, did anyone notice this was posted in June? Tuesday was...oh...7 weeks ago or so.

So, just out of curiousity oh tinfoil hat gurus, did anyone notice this was posted in June? Tuesday was...oh...7 weeks ago or so.

what the OP posted does not have a date and I did not look any further.

Sure has been hot lately, must be something to solar flairs

Guest Lester Weevils

The original referenced link was a generic article about the risk of solar storms and the solar cycle entering an upswing for the next few years, but there was a fairly large Coronal Mass Ejection Aug 1 that hit Aug 3 and 4.

SpaceWeather.com -- News and information about meteor showers, solar flares, auroras, and near-Earth asteroids

Guest coldblackwind
The original referenced link was a generic article about the risk of solar storms and the solar cycle entering an upswing for the next few years, but there was a fairly large Coronal Mass Ejection Aug 1 that hit Aug 3 and 4.

SpaceWeather.com -- News and information about meteor showers, solar flares, auroras, and near-Earth asteroids

Ahh, ok, I clicked the link, but I admit I didn't read it. I just assumed it was a link to where the posted article came from, and read the date to see if it was recent.

Guest Lester Weevils

Yah, tinfoil aside, solar storms are just one of those thangs. They have been known to destroy satellites, and have on multiple instances knocked out huge pieces of the power grid. Even back at the dawn of telegraph, before the advent of commercial electric systems, there was one solar storm that burned out lots of telegraph wires.

It isn't scientifically impossible that the sun could have a flare big enough to reach out and toast the earth, just wipe us out or at least be 'instant urban cleansing'.

Electrical systems and satellites can perhaps be made more storm-proof, cheaper than the cost of replacement when they occasionally get zapped.

But it is mostly not under our control and not something to worry about, except general SHTF preparation.

For instance, if a solar storm took down power for a few days or knocked out internet for credit card processing, it would be a dandy idea to at least have some cash on hand to buy groceries if the debit card doesn't work. :)