Ruger Mini-14

Verne

I have been looking at AR's and AK's the past few weeks. Looking for an Evil Black Rifle to add to the collection. I am back and forth on them and now I have run across a Mini-14 a guy I know is selling.

Don't know much about them other than they are .223's.

So what are things to look out for with them and you guys experience with them. Looking for some info.

Thanks,

Verne

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mugster

I've had one for around 10 years (stainless/synthetic mini-14). The biggest problem is magazines. Ruger only sells (but not really) hi cap mags to the LE market. You can still get them of course, but your looking at $60 a mag for a new factory 20. Aftermarket works, but the quality can be spotty. I've had good luck with steel promags...but they aren't as good as say AR mags from the aftermarket.

The mini-14 in .223 and mini-30 is in 7.62x39. The mini-30's have even more mag problems with the hi-cap's. C-products is supposedly going to release mags for mini's. Been hearing that for a couple years now.

Accuracy...well, there's not much :D

Thats not true really. Mini's with mods do shoot sub-MOA groups with handloaded ammo if you stick to 3 shots with the stock barrel. Thats not really true either. You have to own and shoot a mini for awhile to appreciate what it will do and what it won't. If you regularly shoot match grade armalites you won't be happy. Mini's will outshoot ak's though accuracy wise by a wide margin, imo.

Not sure what else to say. I've hunted with mine...for whitetail I think its more than accurate/reliable enough.

Mine is all stock except for a trigger job that I did myself and an accuracy strut. Nice little shooter.

There's a cottage industry that's grown up in support of these rifles. Best bet is to go here and surf around. Ask questions.

http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=86

In genreal, they are not as accurate or as durable as an AR. I like the balancing and overall handling of them. They do not have the line of sight/line of bore issues associated with an AR. Factory 20 round mags are also harder to come by and more expensive than an AR or AK. In short, they are a fine general purpose rifle but they are not a great fighting rifle.

Minis are great, but get little respect from the black gun crowd. The main issue is lack of cheap and reliable 20rnd mags. Other issues include so so accuracy and a supposedly weak firing pin (no aftermarket replacement). Given the price and quality, they are very good carbines for the $$.

Also, I had a buddy whine and cry about the poor accuracy of his mini compared to his Remington model 700 7-mm-08. I challenged him to compare open site accuracy of the two rifles. They both produced the same open site accuracy at 100yds. I will say that the mini 30s seem to shoot a little looser than the mini-14s. Other than that, they are both quite fine rifles.

I've got an LE edition in stainless with the better barrel, bayonet lug and flash hider. I've shot the gun. It is a great shooter.

Minis are the Rodney Dangerfield of the "assault rifle" world. Folks here mentioned the mags and the accuracy issue.

But for the kind of shooting most people do with ARs (shootin' stuff under 100 yards) they work very well and represent, imo, an excellent value.

Guest Todd@CIS

IMO, if Ruger did a couple of changes to the Mini-14, it would be a great rifle.

1. Better sights/factory rail.

2. Heavier barrel.

3. Fix the mag supply issue.

IMO, if Ruger did a couple of changes to the Mini-14, it would be a great rifle.

1. Better sights/factory rail.

2. Heavier barrel.

3. Fix the mag supply issue.

They have a Mini "target" model out that addresses the accuracy issue. But at their pricing they are competing with ARs head on. It is a losing battle for them.

Guest Todd@CIS
They have a Mini "target" model out that addresses the accuracy issue. But at their pricing they are competing with ARs head on. It is a losing battle for them.

Agreed.

But, with the changes/upgrades I listed, my thinking is that there are enough AR haters out there that Ruger could make a bigger dent in the market than what they're currently doing.

But hell, it's Ruger, so that will NEVER happen.

Guest Mugster

Yeah, I don't understand Ruger's thinking on the mini. It's a politically correct, cheap, autoloader that you can buy in walmart. And they seem happy with that image.

With a little spiffing up, it could be a darn fine rifle. And can be with some mods if you are willing to tinker. It is a great project rifle for a tinkerer.

Guest Mugster

Frankly, no. Ruger supposedly retooled a couple years ago and started holding closer tolerances (according to the marketing) but no practical benefits from this were realized imo. Mine shoots about as well as can be expected I think.

I think the synthetic stocked ones are possibly a bit more accurate than the wood ones simply because the synthetic stocks seem to fit better.

I think the really old ones might be better built in terms of the machining from what I've seen. Mine is so rough I still get metal flakes off it after what, 5-6k rounds maybe? I looked at a 20 year old one and the internal parts were pretty smooth.

...the Mini-14/30 closely to an SKS with detachable magazine... and you can buy 2 or 3 SKS's for the price of a Mini.

:mad:

That's the type of disrespect that comes from the black gun crowd.:D They always compare the Minis to an overpriced SKS, never a down size/priced Garand.

Guest bulletproof

I was in Wal-Mart today to buy some shells. They had a Ruger Mini-14 Ranch in one of the round rotating rifle/shotgun case thngs they have. The price was $604 and change plus tax.