Gun Safe Placement

I have had my safe for many years and it has made many moves with me. I usually keep it in the house. It has been in the garage at my current place that is attached to the house. I'm in the process of buying some land with an older home on it which doesn't have room til we renovate. There is a block bldg behind the house that has a storm shelter built under it. Moisture is low and has a large door on the floor to lock up. Thinking about turning that into my gun vault. any suggestions. Never had my safe away from the house. Its completly underground space about 12x12. Definitly gonna make wine down there. Sorry for the long thread.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hard to believe it is underground and there is low moisture. I never saw a cellar that was not dank in some manner.

Is there electricity in the cellar or block building? If so I think it would make a dandy place for a bunker.

That's a scary thought to me. A buddy and I bought our Browning safes at about the same time. I put mine in the bedroom (girlfriend had to get over it), and he put his in the basement. His is no longer a fire safe because it got wet in the flood. If water ever gets in that cellar, even if it's a one time thing, it's gonna be ugly.

I always have my pistol close by. I went by the property the other day after a heavy thunder shower rained all day. Went down and dry. I guess the thought of my safe under water isnt a good one. If I don't put it down there I will turn it into my reloading/wine making bunker. With some zombie supplies too!. It does have electricity up top and down below. thought about running a dehumidifier just to be safe. Looks like the walls have been painted with the paint that holds back water.( can't think of the name of it). I just feel weird with my safe away from the house rather it be down there or a detached garage thats away from the house aways. Maybe I should just keep tunneling and make me an underground single lane range with ventilation.

Moisture would definately be my biggest concern like the others have mentioned. I would have to be absolutely 120% positive that no moisture would EVER be in that cellar, because it doesn't take much to ruin guns over a period of time. Most likely I would try to find a professional who can really check this out for me and let me know what needs to be done. With it being detached from the house, I would also have to be 120% sure that no one could break into it, and even better would be keeping anyone from finding out that it's even there..........which I suppose has failed now because all of us know about it. :tinfoil:

Other than that I like that idea, but you would have to keep in mind that you may have to fight your way to it should you need more firepower than the few guns you end up keeping in the house.

Mama might just have to deal with it in the house til we remodel and do the add ons. Then maybe I can talk my way into a hidden spot for my safe. I just feel to weird with it way out in the garage. And the water thing down below in the other out bldg even if not an issue would always worry me in the back of my mind.

Guest Swamprunner

Mine's in the basement, along with my food storage, reloading bench, and a bunch of my kid's crap. I do run the de-humidifier all of the time, just to make things comfy. Never had a problem. Of course, I have great storm water management. I have to water the wife's rose bush because it's so stinkin' dry next to the house.