Awkward situation at lunch...

Guest UncleB

he said he leaves them around the house ready to go (im sure they are hidden??)...if he isnt home and his wife is, I am sure she knows where to find them...

I also took the responsibility for protecting my family by buying handguns again...My wife knows exactly where they are and how to use them. when I carry my 40cal, the 9mm is still home with 32rds ready to go.

She doesn't like them, but she does know where they are and how to use them. The only one not hidden is the one on the nightstand. There is no drawer on it so I don't really have a way of concealing that one.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest canynracer
...There is no drawer on it so I don't really have a way of concealing that one.

get a cheapo uncle mikes neoprene type holster, use velcro tape (or a small screw through the holsters plastic clip) to the bottom, or back of the nightstand...

another thing you can try is securing it to the matress in between the headboard or wall (depending on your bed)...

what canynracer said.get a acme cheap-o-holster and tape it to the bottom of your nughtstand,coffee table,or anywhere you can think of.use just a cheap 10 dollar one that will hold your hg and dont use the safety strap.straps are hard enough to fool with on your side,but under a table it would be impossible

Would I want her to be able to look after her own safety? Absolutely.

Does she have even the smallest desire to learn? Not really. :)

I absolutely feel your pain here. The rest is pretty well explained too.

At least your will shoot on occassion.

get a cheapo uncle mikes neoprene type holster, use velcro tape (or a small screw through the holsters plastic clip) to the bottom, or back of the nightstand...

another thing you can try is securing it to the matress in between the headboard or wall (depending on your bed)...

I found a good use for the cheap plastic holster that came with my XD. I screwed it into the back of my closet door, a little higher than head level. It is very handy, but difficult to see. The closet is right next to the bedroom door, so if there is trouble, I can grab it and go.

Guest TNDixieGirl

Can I ask how you'd secure a holster to a mattress? I'd like to try that one.

And keep in mind, I don't have the knowledge of holsters that you guys have so explain it like I were 10 yrs old.

A lot of mattresses have them little hand loops on them, for carrying it around, you know. A cheapo holster could easily be velcroed to it. Most cheapo nylon holster come with a velcro strap for retention.

I could probably come up with a half a dozen ways to secure a holster to a bed, I bet you can too.

Guest Boomhower

My biggest problem with a nightstand gun is that I want a light mounted to it and I've not found a holster that I thought to be suitable for my needs or one that I felt wouldn't snag on the gun/light combo.

Here's what I have in mind, but my bedroom set is all wood.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/productdetail.aspx?p=22821

and here's a different one, but it doesn't have a plastic coating over it & it cost more.

http://quickdrawgunmagnets.com/

I'm sure u could find many more.

If you are in a mixed group of friends & they know you are packing & they don't, they may tend to think of you as their bodyguard & when something goes down they will expect you to do something & quite possibly draw unnecessary attention to you at a very bad time. This has gotten at least one off duty cop killed in a store that he frequently stopped at. When he walked into a robbery in progress & the clerk knew he was packing & yelled for him to shoot them. The bad guys buddy at the back of the store behind the cop shot him in the back – he didn’t have a chance thanks to the clerk knowing that he always carried.

Now I’m not saying that your friends aren’t worth saving, & I’m not saying you should act like a cop, but if I have to confront a bad guy with deadly force, I don’t want him to know I’m packing until I deem it necessary.

Guest TargetShooter84

I remember that I went out to dinner with bunch of friends one time last month, a lady friend of mine was flirting with me and she grabbed my wallet and saw my HCP, she was absolutely stunned to see that and asked if I was packing? I said no (since I was in a restaurant that served alcohol) and explained to her why I wasn't and that I only have the permit for my own protection because you can never expect the unexpected. She seemed to see my point and asked about the HCP classes....It worked out well though I dont tell people I have a HCP nor carry concealed but I was prepared to give a logical explanation for it.

Guest canynracer
Can I ask how you'd secure a holster to a mattress? I'd like to try that one.

And keep in mind, I don't have the knowledge of holsters that you guys have so explain it like I were 10 yrs old.

get a short strap of semi stronger material from WalMart or wherever fine sewing products are sold...sew it to the head of your bottom sheet between the headboard and matress, uncle mikes holster with a clip...done...

my brother, of course took it one step further and sewed the holster right to his sheets...

I also like that rig that fallguy found, and Mike 357 has a good idea too, except the carry straps are on the side, and under the sheet....

I like your response!! Tungsten is right about that.

ME? I would have said something silly...I would have shook my arms and said "yep..got both of them..I'm armed and ready!!". (a quote from the movie Independence day).

afterwards I would have taken him aside and explained why I carry..just like you did but without the audience.

On a positive note, one of my oldest friends has finally realized that his families safety is his responsibility, and has taken his two boys to the range to start learning brm and firearm safety.

YAY!