Training Report: NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home

Guest Len

Course: NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home (Basic and Advanced)

School/Instructor: HGR Firearms/Greg Knox NRA Training Counselor

Time/Date: Fri-Sat, January 11-12, 2008 (16 hours total - 7 classroom, 9 range)

Pre-requisites: NRA Personal Protection Inside the Home, or test-out via examination and shooting skills test.

Cost: $275.00 before TGO discount + ammo. Includes 350+ page textbook.

Lesson Summary:

1. Intro to Concealed Carry Safety and Defensive Mindset

2. Intro to Self-Defense and Concealed Carry

3. Legal Aspects of Concealed Carry and Self-Defense

4. Carry Modes and Concealment

5. Presenting the handgun from concealment

6. Presentation, position and movement

7. Special shooting techniques

8. Additional training and sport shooting activities

9. Written examination

Day one was classroom lecture and discussion covering 6 hours, including lessons 1-5 above. Lesson 3 was conducted by a local criminal defense attorney (Thomas Boyers) with experience defending persons using a firearm for self-defense. (This is an NRA requirement, another allowable option is to use a POST officer.) Day one focused mostly on mindset, self-defense scenarios and options, as well as a thorough review of concealed carry options, methods and tools. The obligatory NRA gun safety lecture (including stoppage-clearing methods) was also included.

Day 2 started out in the classroom with a quick review and training with blue (inert training) guns, as well as a range safety briefing. We then hit the range, posted D-1 targets (2 for each student, as we were going to engage multiple targets from various angles and distances), and got down to business. Some of the drills we went through included:

a) presentation from unconcealed and concealed holsters

B) tactical reloading/speed reloading while engaging 1-2 targets

c) hip shooting/various other degrees of point shooting (partial extension, full extension below eye level, etc)

d) movement rearward or sideways, stopping and shooting

e) move from standing to kneeling (1 and 2 knees on ground) or squatting and shooting from behind low barricade (and also move to barricade, then kneel or squat)

f) from standing, turning left and right, 90 degrees and 180 degrees

g) low-light conditions, using at least three different light manipulation techniques

h) point shooting from the hip while engaged in simulated bodily contact with an assailant.

i) shooting from behind high barricade

All this was done at ranges from 3 feet to 25 feet. During some of the drills I could literally reach out and touch the target from my firing position, and felt the breeze of the recoil due to the close confines.

All this was done with increasing speed, partial magazines requiring reloads, and while determining which of two targets presented the greatest threat.

During lunch on day 2 we also took the written exam. Some of the questions actually required careful thought, and I managed to blow 3 of them -3 more than is acceptable for me.

There were moments of levity. For example, during one drill I had to do a reload, so I went for a spare magazine. I pulled it cleanly, but noticed it was empty as I went to insert it into the gun. Dang! So I dropped it and pulled another. Also empty!! Curses!!! So, I stand up (I was one one knee during this drill), pull my BUG from my pocket and unloaded into the target. Everyone got a good laugh as I pulled empty mag after empty mag out from my belt, but I did get a commendation from the instructor for fast thinking and proper deployment of the BUG. A few lessons learned here:

1) In class, spend every spare second reloading your mags! I used four in this course and had no excuse for not having a spare with rounds in it.

2) Be consistent in spare mag placement. I accidentally slipped one into the wrong pocket, and so it was not where I thought it was -the same as not having it all when time is of the essence.

3) BUG use can and should be incorporated into the curriculum.

4) My S&W J-frame saved my butt -get you one today! :)

Issues:

1) Many of the drills require moving beyond the firing line or being out in the middle of the range. Safety concerns are paramount here, and not all ranges permit these kinds of activities.

2) Time. We ran long and wanted to stay even longer -the range was closing. NRA says 14 hours minimum. I think that's unrealistic. Count on 16 hours minimum.

3) Expense. You will EASILY shoot 200-300 rounds. My partner shot .45ACP. Ouch! These days, thats a good chunk of change.

4) Bring a RELIABLE gun, you will need it. My Glock 19 performed flawlessly, certainly better than I did!

This was a great class. The NRA training dept has definitely changed its philosophy when it comes to training. This course taught and employed real-life skills in a scenario-based environment. No standing still bullseye shooting here. At least 90% of my rounds fired were point shooting or flash sight picture. I learned some useful skills, improved my self-confidence when it comes to handgun use in self-defense and I had fun! I went home dirty, smelly, and tired, and woke up a bit sore this morning in my legs, but it was well worth it. Best NRA class I have ever taken, goes miles and miles beyond HCP classes or basic-level NRA courses.

dunndw took the class with me. He too had a great time.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Worth every bit of time, effort, energy and money spent. Training in a more "real world" situations than normal range time,

The NRA approved draw sequence is rather odd, but you get used to it.

The range time didn't seemed rushed at all until the end. The owner wanted to go home, we wanted to go longer...I still had ammo left over.

We were given the chance to shoot low light/no light with Surefires, speed rocks, shooting from retention, all the fun stuff normal ranges frown on

As soon as I know, you'll know. Meanwhile, keep an eye on the school's website for dates, etc: www.hgrfirearms.com. The owner's other business has kept him ties down, but he expects a more regular and more known in advance schedule this year, which will allow him to offer more courses. Note that the course I took has a pre-requisite called "Personal Protection INSIDE the Home." I've edited my original post to mention that.

When is the next one!?

I want to do this type of training.

BigPoppa:

The test-out exam is two parts: You take the written test for Inside The Home and get a passing grade. Pretty easy stuff -much of it common sense, the rest easily learned from reading the course textbook which anyone can buy over at the NRA Training Dept (http://materials.nrahq.org/go/product.aspx?productid=ES%2026828) for $9.95. Read the book, pass the test.

The second part is a shooting test. You'll need to demonstrate safe gun-handling skills, know the key safety rules, and be able to shoot groups into a 9" paper plate at a couple of distances out to 21ft.

Rightwinger:

Not really. The use of a tactical shotgun as an in-home self-defense option is discussed (I partially agree with you -I think in some cases for some people its the way to go and I've got one under the bed). But NRA offers a basic shotgun course geared towards outdoor stuff, and HGR also offers a non-NRA tactical shotgun course. It never seems to get offered, but if there is enough interest, I think we can run it. I know of three guys off the top of my head who'd be interested. If we can get three more, we can do the class. So, tell your friends. (I'd LOVE to take a tactical shotgun course -a buddy of mine did one and he had a great time.) We're also thinking about offering classes that involve a shoot house where students would use paintball guns. Lots of stuff in the pipeline.