Frosts Carbon Clipper

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mora knives have a cult following among those in the Bushcrafting world. A lot of new bushcrafters start out with them and end up staying with them. The neck knife that Cory Lundin carries on Dual Survivor is a Mora 510 or 511. Many survival schools issue either the 510 or 511 to their students. They are cheap knives, but out of the box, you will not find any sharper! They are not thick blades, but they are tough. You can see people batoning with them on youtube, though I think they are a little to light for that sort of work. They come in one of three types of blades, carbon steel, stainless steel and triflex (a laminate). The rockwell hardness on them is 57-62 depending on which blade you choice. The Swedish Army issues the Mora 2000 to it's troops. It has a 4" stainless steel blade.

They are also favored by hikers and bushcrafters, because they are light. A typical Mora with sheath, will weight in at less than 5oz. The blades are also typically 3.5 to 4.5 inches in length.

I don't own the Clipper, I have a #1 in carbon steel and a 780. It has a triflex blade. I LOVE them both. Best knives I've ever owed so far. I skinned a 5' walking stick for my son out of a seasoned piece of locust and another me that's 7' long. Used the 780 triflex on both and it is still sharp as the day I got it!

There is one bad thing about Moras and just about every review touches on it. Their sheaths are, shall we say, not the best in the world. They are plastic, ugly and cheap. Most people get a new after market sheath or make one of their on.

Here is the kicker. Moras start at $9 and up. I bought both mine for $31 including shipping from Ragweed Forge ( www.ragweedforge.com ). Shipping is $6 for up to 6 knives. Ragwood is a good place to go read and learn too. Another good source is www.Bensbackwoods.com. Both of these sites are top notch and both Ragnar and Ben are super to deal with. Smoky Mountain Knife Works sells them too.

If your looking for a great deal on a knife, buy a Mora. Best deal for the money you will find on the market. But don't take my word for it. Go research them on the internet. (Google is your friend :) ) I think you'll be impressed.

Edited by Moped
Guest Abominable_Hillbilly

I have larger hands, and the 760 fits them better.

Frosts Mora Craftsman Stainless Knife 760-o

As a word of caution, this knife is advertised as "stainless," but should read "stain less." It will corrode very easily, though not like 1095, O1, etc. That's not a problem as I prefer high carbon steels, but it was a surprise when I pulled it out of the sheath after slicing a tomato days earlier and merely wiping the blade on my pant leg.

The knife takes and holds a razor edge. It's a true bargain